Sign in to follow this  
flyby

Tight Screws.

Just a bit of a pet hate[}:)], i have noticed lots of people cars i have bought second hand that quite a few have stripped heads[:(!],

For those reading that are new to rc (mechanics), and don't have much experience then this might come in handy for you.

If a screw head is showing signs of wear then you should replace it, always find a screwdriver that fits tight (snuggly) and if alot of pressure is needed so the screw driver doesn't slip then replace the screw or change the screwdriver (bit), otherwise you can damage the head and they can be near impossible to get out later.(sometimes you have to drill out the head. nightmare!)

there's something else you should be aware off., the plastics have changed alot over the years, some old models were very britle plastic, and if you tighten the screws hard ,you can end up cracking or snapping a part of the pastic very easily, or stripping threads[:0]. The last thing that you want to do is try and find a replacement part for your new collection piece.[:(]

That said even with new plastics if you over tighten the chances are you will strip the threads in the plastic, it is better to constantly check your cars screws making sure they are not loose. [8D]

Hope this helps someone

Michael

Another problem with old metal chassis Tamiyas is that according to the instructions you should use Locktite, but some people propably didnt have it and used CA glue... [:(] Remember loosing one week trying to dissasemble a Bruiser ladder chassis, tried alot of WD40, soldering iron, 200C oven, in the end the best is to get very good tools... [;)]

CA superglue is dissolved with acetone, Theo. Nice quick and easy. CA doesn't really grab to metal anyway, so that shouldn't be so bad.

The *worst* on a Bruiser/Mounty is some PO using "permanent" Loctite. Yeah this stuff is oilproof and the only way to release is to heat it with a blowtorch.

Took me years to learn, but today I buy only the best #2 philips screwdrivers - usually means pretty expensive, so don't loan them out to anyone. Saves heaps more in the long run, especially if mucking around with aluminium & titanium (Egress) screws.

Its handy to have both 10" medium shank and a 3" stubby one.