Sign in to follow this  
MartinT

No charge connector on transmitter!?

Hello fellow Tamiyans!

I just bought the XB HUMVEE, wow! I'I have replaced the speedcontroller with an ESC and I'm going to put in a speed 500 motor. So far so good..[:D]

But on the transmitter that came with the set, which is alomost like a futabatype 2pc magnum sport, they left the charging connector out (probably to reduce cost).

On the designated spot there is only a covered up hole.

Does anyone know how to, or has a schematic how to install the charge connector myself?

Thanks,

Martin

PS. great that the full instruction is in the database, it's a great help to get an understanding of the works of the machine!

No official schematics available, but it won't be hard to splice in a common DC connector into the empty hole.

On original Futaba 2PCKA, the socket is connected to the battery contacts below. The power switch is 2-pole which disconnects the charger input to the battery when the radio is turned on - ie you can't charge & have TX on at same time, the charger cannot power the TX by itself.

I don't know if there's any diodes or resistors between the socket and the battery contacts. I just charge mine (loaded with 8 nicads) with a 1975 Futaba charger and it works fine.

I fixed it, the PCboard has the provisions for a chrg conn and a diode right by the covered up hole, it works great!

Only thing is now the Tx runs on 9.6V (8 Nicads)instead of the 12V (8 alkaline batteries) , but so far it does not seem to affect performance (although I have not done a max range test though)

Greetz,

Martin[:)]

BTW The speed went up from 19.7 to 26.2 km/h with the new motor an a std batterypack; of course this is still peanuts for all you speedracers out there, but enough for a beginning RC driver[:D]

don't worry about the voltage drop, its not really an issue. When the normal batteries are used, their voltage drops anyway to similar what the ni-cd's are. Every racer at the clubs nowadays use ni-cd (or ni-mh's) in their transmitters as it is much cheaper over time.

Ya, my PC2KA works fine on 8AAs, no reduction in range (nitro car, so being pedantic I checked). The AAs run the TX for about 4-5 hrs no problems, I think they're only basic 500mAh ones anyway.

The older Futabas actually had special AA holders where you would use either 7x alkalines, or 8x nicads. Those were the days... [:)]