Sign in to follow this  
lji86

electronic speed controls

hi,

[?][?][?]

with an electronic speed controlled what does the turn limit mean, is it:

- if the turn limit was 27 turns would it mean any motor up to 27 turns would be able to be used.

please enlighten me! [:(][:)][:D]

It means that you can use anything apart from 1-26 turns, as the scale runs backwards, weird but that is the way it is. Can be confusing but don't put a 13 double on it or BANG[}:)]

EG a limit of 15 turn motors means you can use anything from 15 and above (15-27+) but not below(1-14).

I have used slightly under the recommended before with no trouble but i wouldn't recommend this unless you are very steady with the throttle.

oh right!!!!! [:D]

thats cleared that up!

would you be able to use an 11x2 on a 27 turn limit one (i.e is an 11x2 classed as 11 or 22[?])

cheers for the help

lewis

No, you can't, when it is displayed / written as 11 X 2 the X doesn't multiply the number , all it means is there are 2 wires wound 11 times around the armature, this doesn't make it 22 winds ,just go by the first number which is the winds, not how many wires are wound, same as a 11X3 wouldn't be a 33 wind, it is just a 11 wound triple, the X is just an expression / way of writting it, basically Discard the X sign and just think that a X1 is a single, X2 is a double , X3 is a triple , X4 is a quad and so on, the differencve being the single is the most punchy (harsh ) motor whereas a quad would be alot smoother (gentle) and have longer runtimes especially if your heavy on the throttle.

Also just a little tip, if you are a little heavy on the throttle i wouldn't get a low turn double like an 11, because you will end up wheel spinning and actually go slower, it might be better going for a triple . Just a thought [:D]

The number of turns is directly related too, well, the number of turns! It is the number of tuns the coil(s) in the motor have. Less coils is less legth, so less resistance. Mostly the coil wire is thinker too with less turns, so that makes the resistance even lower. This makes the motor drain more current, which means more power and more heat. That's why a 27 turn motor is called 27 turns: the coil has 27 turns! It's as simple as that.

flyby, you are correct on the x1, x2, x3 and so on. These refelct the number of WIRES used, so basicly the number of coils. I don't think this will influence the limit of the ESC much, at least not as much as the number of winds.

So yes, if you have a ESC with a limit of 13, you should only use a motor of 13 winds OR MORE. Check you other topics for more, it is all a bit related to each other. Gee, how did I knew this all??? I keep on surprising myself, as I never actually participated in any racing... [|)]