Sign in to follow this  
aaronmihe(2)

Of Pinions and GearDiffs...

I had an unfortunate failure of a pinion gear yesterday on the TA03 I acquired used. The 14T pinion had a 'iffy' grub screw and yesterday it let the pinion slip destroying the spur gear in the process. So I'm on the hunt for a new pinion. Obviously my 16T motor has enough grunt to cause trouble if it comes loose again - so I've now learnt the lesson. No more used pinions!

Anyway while I'm sourcing a new pinion I thought I'd pop the gear diff out of the back and pack it solid with grease to 'lock' it up a bit. It this a sound plan? Shoudl i just bite the expensive bullet and go for a ball-diff? At the moment the car understeers by nature and I'd like to get it a bit more taily ;)

Grease only lasts so long in the diffs, it usually finds its way out and the diffs loosen up again after 1 run. Locked diffs don't make a TA03 any taily-er anyhow... that rear has too much toe-in imho.

But first things first... toe-OUT your steering.

If its an "F", you can try moving the motor to the back... it helps a little. With motor rear and the battery rearwards (keeping the 'F' tub), you'll see more tyre wear at the back too.

If you've got spare steering knuckles etc, you can try putting steering assembly at the the rear too for "adjustable rear toe".

TA03s are great for experimenting!! [8D]

So if I get the rear to toe-in less ;) *laughs* I ran it with a lot more front toe out and it was unstable and understeery, now it's stable and understeery.

Locked diff idea is now shelved, although I haven't looked in them since I bought it so i pbably should check ;)

It's got all the turnbuckles etc so adjustability is good - using Carbon decks instead of the tub...but considering goign rear motor ;)

T'is a little bit harder to swap gearboxes on the FRP chassis cars (eg 03Pro) as you'll have to rig up some ingenious spacers for some bits. Plastic tub cars swap over like they were made for it.

TA03s have quite severe toe-in at the rear. I only recently realised this, after comparing it to TL01s and TA04s (which run 0-deg stock).