Sign in to follow this  
TamiyaBeaterFleet

Rc10 Motor Help

Hello folks,

i just got an rc10 i plan on using as a runner. it had the old transmission and i plan on buying a 540 19t reedy motor for it. Is it a suitable motor? what differential should i use? how do you determine differentials? any help would be appreciated

Thanks, TBF

Hi TBF.

Well... I reckon the 19T motor would be OK, back in the day of the original RC10 I remember my cousin racing with something similar.

It also depends on what tranny you've got.. I got lucky with my e-bay find, and it's been upgraded to a Stealth ball diff.. very sweet now it's all adjusted up.

The Stealth trans consists of the ball diff and 2 other gears, whereas the original is a 6 gear setup.. not sure how reliable it would be with a more powerful motor though... but I still have the original set of gears to trade if you toast yours! [:D]

I also found an exploded diagram of the rear of the RC10 on the web, I can post up the URL if you like. (and I can find it again!)

Tim.

No matter how old your RC10 is the gearbox and diff should handle a 19t no problem.

To tell which transmission you have is easy. I could try and describe the gearbox shapes, but the easy way without taking the car apart is to take the cover off the spur and pinion gear. If you undo the nut on the layshaft if the gear has balls in it you have an early RC10 transmission and this is the differential. When you take the gearbox apart it will have 6 gears in it. If the spur gear has no balls in it and the plates either side of it have a ring of friction material it is a later stealth gearbox, and the device on the spur is the slipper clutch. Inside the gearbox there will only be 3 gears.

The stealth gearbox is the one to have, the basis of it is still used in Associateds latest cars, and it will handle anything you throw at it, even down as low as 9 turn motors.