Sign in to follow this  
wildone85

sales staff

When I was first involved in the hobby in the 80's. The golden days of foxes and wildones, I encountered alot of what is pure RC snobbery. Now I'll admit the cars that i have now (mad fighter and a blazing star) are not in any major competition league and I respectfully know my place in a world full of schumacher, associated and yokomo. I went along to my hobby shop to ask for help on getting a faster motor. I like brand consistency so I was interested in the super stock motors made by tamiya (the S and the T.) I got nothing but 15 minutes of arrogance from a guy that said I should not have even walked in the store if my cars weren't ball raced (they are) and if I didn't have an electronic speed controller because anything other than a stock RS 540 will burn out my MSC. He seemd to take great relish in saying that I would need to spend 200-300 dollars to get a faster motor in my cars and nothing would guanantee higher performance from 2 pieces of **** and warned me that my MSC was seconds away from a firey end. Was he right? can i just get a faster motr and put it in my car to make it quicker around the yard? These cars are a hoot to drive and indestructible (anyone see the mad fighter on the RC Car action website???)I want to use Tamiya hop ups can anybody help?

You'd be well advised to get an electronic speed controller (ESC) anyway despite what he says as they are far superior to the 3 step speed controller fitted as standard. You can pick a good one up for about £30/$40, make sure it has reverse on it. Many are designed for racing and only have forward! Most ESC's will allow you to run 17T motors, the more expensive ones will go to 12T or even no limit but they are expensive £100+. With a good ESC you can then fit a modified motor. Please note that most Tamiya buggies don't come with a great range of pinion options so you must select your motor to suit the standard pinion. If this is for backyard bashing and racing amongst friends you might as well get a more torquey motor which gives awesome acceleration rather than go for a very high RPM race motor. I would recommend the Kyosho mad science magnetic meyhem motor (22T) which I got at my LHS for £30. This will happily run standard pinion and gives super punch. Is doesn't come with bearings etc but then it is inexpensive! I'm sure the other guys here will agree with the move to ESC. You certainly don't have to spend $200-300 though! (You will lose some runtime from your battery as the modified motors use more power)

To a certain degree he is right about the MSC possibly melting.

I think a motor that is slightly hotter won't cause you many problems with an MSC, although my personal preference is to Ball race the vehicle and fit a cheap ESC. This can be done for about £30 on the mad fighter and a little more on the blazing star.

You would probably get the same level of performance but in a different (and more efficient) way. I would think with an Mtroniks ECO speedo and a set of ball races you could nearly double the run time of the mad fighter with a very noticable speed increase.

I have heard many different reports on the £19.99 ECO speed control from Mtroniks (or is it Msonics, I can never remember) some people say "Silver can standard motors only" or "They are OK to 20 turns"

I personally have had these speedos in quite a few vehicles and they seem fine, but I dont abuse my cars (well not all of them). The highest 'drain' I have ever put on one was a 27 turn re-buildable stock motor in a TA-02 chassis (ball raced) this car was perfect, never overheated the speedo and performed well.

£19.99 Mtroniks Msonic Eco 27 which is recomended for use with 27turn (standard) motors, £29.99 Mtroniks Monic Eco 20 which is recommended for 20+ turn motors, but I heard somewhere (possibly on these forums??) that the Eco 27 & Eco 20 are the same just labeled differently?? Also Carson do Esc's which I believe are just re-badged Mtroniks Eco's but about £5 cheaper!!

the eco 27 and the eco 20 are most certainly not one and the same esc.. the eco 27 (up until recently) couldnt cope with anything more than a mabuchi silver can, i had one blow up on me at snetterton with a rebuildable 27 turn stock..

I can't comment on the earlier type eco27 speedo (the one with the waterproof looking button) but the later type (3?) with a raised button worked fine in the TA-02 with a 27 turn re-buildable motor. Maybe I just got lucky.

Having said that, I have had about 8 of these ESC's and all have been used with 27 turn rebuildbale motors. One of them blew up, but this was caused by the driver crashing the car under a 1:1 car wheel and he tried to 'power it out' from under the wheel. no wheels were turning and he kept the power on until it fried itself.

I'm not saying the 20 & 27's are the same, just sharing my experiences.

Also, the current drawn from a motor in a 2wd car is less than that drawn from the same motor fitted to a 4wd car as there is more drag in a 4wd transmission.

There is a warning on the eco27 packet saying not to be used with a rebuildable 27 stock (it will be due to the increased current draw due to advanced timing) BUT there is a new eco27 just been released that can run a rebuildable stock.[:D], all for the same cheap n cheerful price.

quote:Originally posted by mud4fun

I would recommend the Kyosho mad science magnetic meyhem motor (22T) which I got at my LHS for £30. This will happily run standard pinion and gives super punch. Is doesn't come with bearings etc but then it is inexpensive!

id="quote">id="quote">

I've got a few Peak Jaguar motors. They are really nice motor which perform very well. I have a 13x2, 17x2 and 19x2 - I have only tested the 19x2 outside in my Blazing Star and the car went very well with it! The only mods to my Blazing Star are a Speed 15 ESC, full ball bearings (you need 16 x 1150 and 6 x 850), and a Carson alluminium propellor shaft.

They retial for the Jaguar motors is €31 (£22) each here in Holland I believe, but I managed to get them for €24 (£17) a piece from a German store. They are rebuildable, have adjustable timing and ball bearings and are GREAT value for money! You can pick from 27x2, 23x3, 21x2, 19x2, 17x2, 15x2, 13x2 and 11x2 so basicly they can suit any taste and ESC you have. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by wriggleandgiggle

Mtroniks (or is it Msonics, I can never remember)

id="quote">id="quote">

The brand name is M-Tronics, They made a line of speedo's once that was called 'M-Sonic' which is confusing at times... [:)] I know someone with a M-Sonic and it had a 12 turn limit, but I think there are many kinds.

quote:Also, the current drawn from a motor in a 2wd car is less than that drawn from the same motor fitted to a 4wd car as there is more drag in a 4wd transmission.
id="quote">id="quote">

Yes and a 4WD has also better traction, which increases the current even more.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by fatboyslim

£19.99 Mtroniks Msonic Eco 27 which is recomended for use with 27turn (standard) motors, £29.99 Mtroniks Monic Eco 20 which is recommended for 20+ turn motors, but I heard somewhere (possibly on these forums??) that the Eco 27 & Eco 20 are the same just labeled differently??

id="quote">id="quote">

I heard that one two, except I heared that the Eco 27 was a reject version of the 20 - i.e. if it wasnt good enough to handle anything below 27 turns....

Mike

I dont understand this thread regarding eco 27 and eco 20. They are 2 distinct different speed controllers the eco 27 will handle motors of 27 or more turns (rebuildable 27 too now with new eco 27) and the Eco 20 will handle 20 turns or more.

THe eco27 isnt a reject eco20 it is a cheap and cheerful entry level speed controller.

quote:Originally posted by wildone85

...I got nothing but 15 minutes of arrogance from a guy that said I should not have even walked in the store if my cars weren't ball raced (they are) and if I didn't have an electronic speed controller because anything other than a stock RS 540 will burn out my MSC.

id="quote">id="quote">

Pardon the young fella, but he is an idiot. [:I]

Our LHSes down here do a huge volume of

Tamiya replacement MSCs and Resistors,

all (understandbly) at huge markups.

Maybe after the customer has returned for the 3rd time

for a new MSC, they might go "oh, maybe an ESC is good". [;)]