Sign in to follow this  
koenc

Thin black lines : PROBLEM SOLVED

Hi Guys,

I think I have solved a big (for me it was) problem. I managed to laserprint and lasercut thin black lines. these black lines have a width of 0,4 mm. The lasercut is 2 mm wide. These improve the looks on your car dramatically.

Just look at these pics I took.

If you are interested in some. Let me know

greeetings

Koen

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=19681&id=41

Pactra makes a sheet of pinstriping that has all different sizes on it. There was one that was that thin. It was difficult to deal with becuase it was so thin.

Jim

I use the pin striping that comes in rolls. You get about 5 thicknesses on one roll and it comes in lots of colours[:)]

I use that stuff too. The only thing I find annoying is that I have to cut the single strip out that I want and then it all tangles up. But it's useful if you want a double stripe with different thicknesses, as it makes them line up nicely.

[:I] Been doing hard bodys lately, but in the past I've just done them with fine line permanent pen along a line of masking tape & not had any probs.

Should I not be doing this?

Scorchio-

That technique sounds interesting-If it has been working for you, great. I actually think I might try that myself!

Thanks-

Parma actually market a double ended pen for precisly this purpose and funnily enough it's called a Body Lining Marker, never used it for R/C models but have used it for 1/24th statics, see http://surf.to/fatboyslims and check out the Mazda RX-7 and Ferrari F-40, I used it on these.

I'm going to get a shocked gasp from the restoration purists here, but mate of mine added superb black body lines to a touring car using a ruler and a very fine tipped permanent marker (the kind for writing on CD-R's). They look superb, dead clean, no wrinkles, and as they are in depressions in the body, havent rubbed off yet.

Just a thought

I bought a set of TDK CD-R marker pens, works a treat!!!

They are normally used to write on cd's, but seems to stay good on bodies also!! [:P]

Here in the USA there is a brand called Sharpie and they are great. They have some super fine tipped pens too. The best part is they clean up with thinner if you goof up.

HTH!

Sharpie markers can be got in the UK too - I got a pack from Staples a year or so ago on special offer.

when i was building scale model aircraft we used low tack masking tape too add very thin detail lines. u may have to look about 4 this tape but it does the job very well.as for the stips them selves we cut ours out using a very fine modelers knife out of solartex covering avalible from most r/c shops

but make sure it is the lowest tack tape u can get u dont want too get all the strips on then find when u take the tape off the strip comes off too [:I] as i found out [:(]