Sign in to follow this  
jonny_bravo

'Refreshing' old tyres??

Is there any way of making the tyres for my old Ranger more 'rubbery' again [?],.. they feel all dry (tiny cracks showing when you squeeze em),.. still searching for a better used set though[;)]

How about using Armour All or some other tyre conditioner for 1:1 cars? My friend had a bottle (can't remember the brand) which I used. It seems to soften my frog's tyres a bit, and made them more shiny. But I don't know about the long term effects yet...

Cheers,

Don

vasaline also does a good job on old rubber.

ehhhmm.. skip the joking please :)

Stefan

i have seen on other sites ppl using the old WD40 spray to revive there tyres

not sure i would but who know it may work try on a old set first tho

Paul

guy's be careful what you recomend. Petroleum based products will attack rubber. Vaseline(Petroleum Jelly) and WD 40 are both petroleum based products.

As for armour all, I have nothing but negative things to say at it so I won't.

There are a lot of products out there that are better. wurths tire and rubber,Gummefluege and Zaino all make quality products that protect the rubber and have Ultra Violet blockers

quote:Petroleum based products will attack rubber. Vaseline(Petroleum Jelly)
id="quote">id="quote">

****!

did my xr311's , blackfoot's, wild one, holiday buggy and the c12 this week with it..

knew about the wd40 but vasaline... oef!

bring out the hot water [:(]

Stefan

A lot of people use WD40 for racing buggies, but know that it will damage the tyres in the long run. I think it helps the grip because it eats into the top layer of the rubber tyre and softens it. So not a good idea for vintage tyres then!

I use a tyre protector from the local auto store, which will protect from the UV brittleness and cracking and keep the tyres in good condition. Can't remember what it's called though, could be armour-all or something like that.

i work in a 1:1 car parts shop and am still serching for something good, most tyre treatments are for walls only, they make tread very slippy (sometimes good but the novelty wears off before the tyre slick does[V])we used to keep something to bring door seals back to life but i cant remember what it was.

I too have been searching for an alternative to the Armour All type products, (silicon based) although i have still used it on some shelf sitters, on tyres that are not quite brand new.

I'm going to give another product a go. It's a tin of natural beeswax 'leather conditioner' that says it's safe to use on just about anything, (leather, vinyl, rubber, even timber..!!). It has other natural ingredients too, so hopefully won't do any damage.

I'm not yet ready to coat my new 'smoothie' fronts with it, but I'll let you know how it goes on some other tyres.

rroodd.

Hmm

Ive used a few things that worked quite well. One is a 1:1 car dashboard "treatment/polish" called Wyns Dash. Comes in normal liquid or an aerosol. Other one is a gereral/furniture polish one uses in the house - called Mr.Min. Wife uses it to clean and polish everything [;)] - also anti static so no dust build up on parts[:P]

Jakes

quote:Originally posted by jozza

A lot of people use WD40 for racing buggies, but know that it will damage the tyres in the long run. I think it helps the grip because it eats into the top layer of the rubber tyre and softens it. So not a good idea for vintage tyres then!

id="quote">id="quote">

We use WD40 on buggies as it stops the mud from sticking top the tyre when racing, so the tread will grab the track surface instead of the tyres turning into a big brown lump.

quote:Originally posted by terry.sc

We use WD40 on buggies as it stops the mud from sticking top the tyre when racing, so the tread will grab the track surface instead of the tyres turning into a big brown lump.

id="quote">id="quote">

I also used to use Pam cooking spray. it kept the mud off really well

Jim

quote:Originally posted by terry.sc
quote:Originally posted by jozza

id="quote">id="quote">

id="quote">id="quote">Ah, that explains that then, I thought it was to improve the grip, but didn't know how it worked.

I've used Sapo with great success. Sapo is basically glicerine wich is fine for rubber and leather as it does not deteriorate the coumpound. Note that the rubber will look nice but mat (not as shiny as with other products).

Just go to any shop for horse adicted people and ask for the above mentioned sapo product. It is used to soften cracked leather.

Well i am fanatic in keeping all my cars dry and clean also my 1:1 cars ..after years of research I Found a company named "AUTO GLYM" .The products are used by proffesinalls Restorers all over the world .They have "winning aword" special tyre care products seen in showroom competitions for 1:1 cars.The company is based in England.

I use them myshelf [?]for more than six years now, on models and real cars with no problems??

Another 1:1 car product to use is bumper gell. It is as stated a gell that restores the natural oils in rubber. it is differant to automotive tyer dressing as it is not designed to shine but to restore the oils. you may need a few applications for best results.