Sign in to follow this  
Morpheus

Radio Gear - keep buying .........

I am getting more Tamiya R/C kits, and I have a load to build, but I must be going wrong because every time I build a new truck/ tank, I have to get all the radio gear again.

I do get them from Stellamodels, but I seem to be accumulating more transmitters, when all I want are the receivers. Theres only me to drive them so one or two trannys are enough.

There must be a simpler way? Do people somehow just get their hands on the receivers or do they just buy 2 channel sets and forget the extras?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Kevin

Why not just buy receivers on their own? They are available on their own from your LHS, they cost around £18-20 for a new one. The Acoms one is listed in the parts shop for £15.75. I have also bought cheap wrecks on ebay for the radio gear and parts.

I generally use velcro to mount the receivers in my cars. Its easy to move them from car to car. I do the same with ESCs. Steering servos I permanently mount, so I do need to accumulate servos. Of course, there are some cars (hotshot, fox etc) where the receiver is so deeply buried, its not really removable.

Somehow I buy enough cars with radio gear that I never need to buy new radio equipment. I get steering servos by using MSC servos from cars which I convert to use ESCs.

However, I do have a bunch of unused transmitters..

look for the cheap tamiyas/mardave's etc on ebay if you can get a car for around £15-25 your laughing! take out the radio and flog the car back on ebay or on tamiya club,i must have 40+ runners and most of the radio is aquired that way.

dont be put off by cheap radio as if all you doing is close up driving then it dont matter.

just get a good handset,no one knows under that that flashy paint job lurks cheapo radio[:P]

Receivers and servos can be bought separately from all good model shops. Receiver should cost you in the region of £15 and servos about £8 each (I always get Futaba S3003 for the Tamiyas). So you save the extra £9 or so that the handset adds to the cost. You don't get crystals though, if you wanted a set of crystals too these would cost you £5-£8 for a set. If you don't get crystals then you have to swap crystals between models, not a major deal on most models but on some where the receiver is in an awkward place it can be a pain.

I find that the cheapest way to get a radio is to buy a manufacturers low end radio just to get the receiver, servos and crystals, then dicard the cheapy transmitter and use a nice transmitter I already have.

[:o)]transmitters do infact breed at night when you turn the lights out! I only had 3 last night but this morning I had 5 or 6 I find selling them as batch jobs on ebay can more often or not get enough money to get a second hand reciever, just keep the best trannys for yourself! and dont forget dont feed them after midnight!! [:)]

i tend to buy a new transmitter/receiver/servo set with every car that i get, have a good collection of transmitters now, just end up buying the basic set as i only really want the receiver anyways.

Chris