Sign in to follow this  
ZenMoto

Tires for carpet?

I have a TA04R with "radial" (replica street tires) tires on it which are great for smooth pavement and tile, but I will be running on carpet soon and have no idea what tires are good for that? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I use Fast Tyres foams. They are ready stuck to the wheels, and you can get them in different hardness. Normally use soft ones (:P on the rear of the car and harder © on the front.

Thanks guys ...I'm in the US so I'm hoping to find something more local (where the shipping won't = the price of the tiems), but worst case, I will check into the ones you mentioned. I've heard of the Carpet Dragons, but never seen them. While I'm on the subject of tires, does anyone know if there is a rallye "block" style tire (tyre for you Brits) that will fit the ta04 chassis.

Thanks again.

Dale (aka noob).

I prefer foams to Carpet Dragons, I tried the Carpet Dragons but found they were too slippery. Ready glued foam tyres are also made by Team Orion and other makers, I found the Orion ones seem to last longer than Fast Tyres but not give so much grip.

You should be able to get some from your LHS, or somewhere like Tower Hobbies for the US, but also check out the HK based ebay stores.

I take it you are going to be racing on carpet at a club? Probably the best thing is to go down and ask the racers what they are using. You may even be able to buy suitable tyres at the club.

Foams give more grip, rubber tyres give less, and I don't think Schumacher tyres are that widely available in the US. Tamiya rally blocks will fit a standard touring car wheel.

Thanks for the response. I'm actually not likely to be racing, ...at least not at a track. A friend has a course at his house (converted pole-barn, garage space) that is carpeted with the kind of stuff usually found in an office. It's not a large track, but good enough for some one on one racing; we will be running around on that. I was thinking pin-type rubber tires might do the trick, they work on my buggy pretty well, but I can't find them in touring car sizes.

At our club, we race on carpet, and use rubber tires. I now race Sorex 28, and with grip fluid this works great. I hate foam tires

Schumacher make Minipin tyres which are used on touring cars on carpet. There are quite a few different types though, and I'm not sure what's the difference between them. The Schumacher site doesn't have much info, but Apex has a list of them with pics - http://www.apexmodels.co.uk/product-search...&man=5&catid=61

Not sure about US suppliers though, but at least the Apex page shows pics and part numbers.

At our club most people run a mixture of either schumacher minipins all around or schumacher rallyblocks front and minipins rear. Minipins all round give phenominal grip when they are new and usually will only last about 3-4 meetings before they're dead. Foams are good on carpet but we're not allowed to use additive at our club so not to many people use them.

If you aren't running to club rules then foams rule. They usually come ready glued to the wheels for less than rubber tyres on their own.Foams give much more grip and last much longer than rubbers. Using additives you can easily tune the handling, and if you don't have enough grip you just get a softer foam, no worries about getting the right type and temperature of rubber/insert combination.

Agree totally about the foams, but be careful about going to soft, you can tear large chunks off them if you get into any bumps or scrapes. I destroyed a set in one race once but then i've had sets which last ages.

I use carpet dragons also. They are only slippery at first but once they warm up, they hook up well and gives you both top end speed and corner hugging ability. I use the T27's also. We cannot use foams, additives, or mini pins. Cost cutting plus they tear up the carpet.