Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy_GT-R

Novak SS5800 Brushless System ???

I have just purchased a new Novak SS5800 Brushless System for £129.95(RRP £179.99) from a hobby store mail order on sale and am very very pleased with the price. It should arrive tomorrow but I wandered, has anyone else run a brushless system?? Are they any good?? I am used to running a Novak GT7 and a Reedy 19 turn spec motor how would they compare. I am expecting the brushless to be faster due to the 5800RPM per volt which would equate to 41760RPM(@ no load).

Please those of you who have this system please share your thoughts on it.

Thanks

James

:)

Oh right cool. Well I run a F201 and what sort of gearing do you run?? I have a choice of standard or high speed gears for the F201.

thanks

James

It's best to keep them at around 7.5:1 overall in a car.

They are undoubtedly fast - similar to a 12 turn as said above - but personally I find he throttle response is a bit too switch-like for my driving style, the car always wants to go from corner to corner flat out, you can't really feed the throttle.

I have to agree with sosidge on the almost switch like throttle, its fine with a truck with grip but you would probably be better with finer control for the f201 from a brushed system.

Standard gearing on the F201 is 7.1 I think, so that should be fine. I hear there is a fully programablle ESC for the brushless motor coming soon, the Super Sport Plus ESC. Might be a wrthwhile upgrade after a while maybe. I should recieve it tomorrow, never came today. So I will give it a test on saturday afternoon after work and let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks

James

How do you fit the large ESC from the brushless system in the F201?

I used a SS5800 in my Losi XXX-4 G+ and XXX-BK2, but found out it does not match a good 12 turn. It is more likely a match to a 19 turn.

YAY !!!! [:D][:D] It came today, mnaged, JUST, to squeeze it all in the F201. And got it all setup correctly. And its pretty fast. I used to runa 19 turn Reedy Spec motor with quad magnets and its faster than that, but how muh faster I don't know. I am using the standard gearing and its great, very fast acceleration. But yeah th brushless system is pretty big. So my receiver now sits up on the top deck. Photos in my showroom very soon.

Thanks

James

Seems my brushless is a bit heavy on its brakes. Its on the lowest braking setting and it still wants to wap ends when I brake hard, I sort a have to pump the brakes or slowly apply them, which is a bit of a pain, with my old GT7 esc you could set the brake force, so that wasn't a problem. Am I missing something or are the brakes just that good on the brushless?? It just seems to almost lock the wheels. But other than that and my glitching problem(now sorted) eveyrthing runs great, very fast, but the ESC and motor run cool and very long run times. Great :)

Thanks

James

Hey guys, I just put the novak @@5800 system in my TA04, and it's plenty fast, but it overheats and shuts down. ...of course I just checked the gearing (I bought the car used, with no extra gears) and it is set up at a 57T pinion and a 128T countershaft ...that makes it close to 3.5:1 ratio. So if 7:1 is the golden rule I should be putting an 18T pinion gear in? ...I just want to make sure, it seems that it will be geared awfully low; wouldn't that make it run even hotter?

...regardless, this thing is sooooo quiet. :) Especially compared to my TB-02 (with a Reedy Flash Point 15x2 in it) ...that thing could wake the dead. The TA04 with the brushless just whispers by! lol

Thanks.

The higher the number i.e. 7.1 compared to say 3.4 then the cooler a motor will run as it won't have as much load on it. it will be able to rev as it wishes. I run my F201 with 5.88 gearing and it plenty fast for even mysel to handle. But around 6.2 is the lowest I would go. That gearing on the TA04 you have sounds way out. Its the spur too thats too large. try sticking wih the stock gearing as per the manual and see how it goes.

Thanks

James

...I HATE this posting system. ...log in, click on a post, reply ..."Invalid name or pass" ...click back and BAM ...3 paragraphs GONE! [:(]

Anyway. ...as I just spent half an hour typing...

I'm confused about how to figure the ratio. I thought going smaller on the spur gear would give me an even tighter ratio. Say I use a 100T spur with my 37T pinion (I typed that wrong before, it's not a 57T pinion), wouldn't that give me a ration closer to 2.5:1 rather than increasing it up towards the 7:1 that I'm told I need?

Also, as I bought my car used, it came with no manual or extra parts so I have no idea what "stock" is, nor do I know what pitch the gears are which makes it hard to shop for parts online.

If you could throw any info my way, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

You have got to take into account the cars internal ratio as well. So the correct calculation for gear ratio is (spur/pinion)*internal ratio. The internal ratio on a TA04 is around 2.25:1.

Thanks ...any idea how to do the math on that? lol Seriously, I haven't a clue how to combine ratios to get the correct one? Thanks.

Smaller spur gear = lower ratio = higher top speed, low acceleration and more heat. Larer spur gear = higher ratio = low top speed, high acceleration and low heat. Same goes for pinion gears, but opposite, Larger pinion = higher top speed, low acceleration and more heat. Etc etc. If I remember to get the ratio it is spur/pinion (X internal ratio), so it would be 100/37 = 2.703. 2.703 x (internal ratio = 2.25) = 6.08 . So basically, just get a smaller pinion. Not much smaller just work it out so your ratio is around 7.2(ish)30T pinion gear, but being honest, it should be overheating at 6.08 ratio, I wouldn't think. I run mines at 5.88 and its fine, although the F201 has smaller diameter wheels than a touring car. Also I think the standard TA04 gears are all 0.6 module gears, but you can if you wih upgrade to the finner 0.4 gears, which only requires a spur and pinion of that type. Hope that made sense, sorry if it didn't.

Thanks

James