Sign in to follow this  
kevinthegerbil

Help!! technical Help Needed - Rate Switches

About 1982 - 1983 'Model Cars Magazine' in the UK published a tip on how to add a Rate Switch to the steering channel of a standard 2 channel transmitter. I did do one in the eighties and since the transmitter is now long gone I would like to add some rate switches to some of my recent 27mhz transmitters. I tried looking in my old collection of magazines but unfortuely I cannot find all the issues, especially the issue I need !!! [:(!]

Does anyone out there have a copy that they can 'Scan' for me or any techincally minded person can send me a wiring diagram.

Thank you in advance

Kevin,

I know TOP models still sell em !!!

I have a couple of still new in the pack kits from them, and actually was using one at the weekend on my old Futaba Attack transmitter as my 'trusty' KO Esprit decided not to work the day before the last big event of the indoor season !!

Let me know if you get one or if you need a copy of my instructions.

I get the impression its a switch (well duh! [:P]) that controls how far your an RC channel turns (steering would be good), e.g. in Position 1, you would have large amount of rotation, and position 2 would have less rotation, ideal if you were racing tracks with big sweeping corners and then tight slow hairpins. Position 1 for hairpins, position 2 for fast corners as it would be less prone to spinning out.

Is that right guys?

I hope so, i feel rather smart now!

James [:D]

pretty much right.

You have a switch rather like a rotary volume control.

When turned way down your steering has a very small amount of throw, (lock) and when turned up it has more throw.

As a tuning device it is invaluable, if your car is spinning out because of oversteer, simply turn down the rate a little, and conversly if you are understeering you can crank up the lock a bit.

so, I have the instructions, but 2 problems.. no scanner, and it's a photocopied sheet that's a bit grainy...

So, maybe I can type it out for you? or give you the highlights ?

seems like there are 3 parts - a control pot, a rate pot, and a trim pot. the control pot being on the transmitter. oh and a 4 inch long piece of wire.

let me know what you need, I can maybe draw it out and e-mail it

HELP!!! I'm still stuck for a wiring Diagram. I spent a whole evening on the Internet looking for one with no Avail!! I believe an Early version (1983?) of 'Model Cars' (UK) did have a 'quick tip' article.

Please help before I go Insane [:o)]

No problem Kevin. I'll check the home made rate switch inside my old transmitter tomorrow and draw it out for you. It will be quicker than trying to find the right magazine in my 'library'!

Here you go Kevin, a quick diagram for you. Fairly self explanatory.

rateswitch.gif

Once built turn the rate pot up and down and make sure neutral does not move. If it does adjust the trim pot until the servo does not move in neutral when you turn the rate pot up and down.

Full instructions to fit it.

The Rate Pot wants to be a potentiometer with a 1/4" shaft that can be screwed through the case so you can adjust it.

The trim pot can be any small potentiometer.

1. Remove back of transmitter and drill a suitable hole for the rate pot, making sure the back of the transmitter still fits okay. Attach the steering rate pot to the case.

2. Rewire the transmitter following the diagram above, the green lead in the diagram was the wire that comes from the PCB to the middle pin on the steering pot, move it to the rate pot and add all the other wires.

3. Set the steering trim below the stick to the centre, switch on the transmitter and the car. With the stick at

centre, turn the Rate Pot fully clockwise and anti-clockwise. The steering should not move, if it does readjust

the Trim Pot until no movement is seen.

4. With the Rate Pot fully anti-clockwise, full movement of the stick should produce little movement. With

the Rate Pot turned fully clockwise full movement of the stick should produce maximum steering. If the

reverse happens swap wire on 1 & 2 on Rate Pot.

5. Tidy up all the wires in the transmitter ensuring none foul the stick mechanism and there are no possiblity of short circuits.

Now replace back of transmitter.

Thanks Terry,

Installed one on a standard Futaba Transmitter and it works great. Since our car club is racing indoors on a polished wooden floor, I always seem to get a tad oversteer, hopefully turning the rate down should balence the car out better.

I will also be modifing a standard Acoms Transmitter in the near future.

Thanks again

Kevin

I will also be modifing a standard Acoms Transmitter in the near future.

Strangely enough I copied the layout from an old Acoms Techniplus transmitter that I'm actually having to use for my racing at the moment. Who needs a high end radio when a cheap one with a rate switch will do.