Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Gearing questions on a Losi ...

Ok , I know its not a Tamiya [:I] so you all can shoot me later . Anyway , if anyone has an idea as to what sise of pinion would work for a stock and a hot motor . The Losi is a XXX-T M.F. that I recently got (thanks again Stu [:)]) and Im not sure if I want to run a stock class (probobly the Revenge of the Monster Stock) or go with a hot motor (probobly around the 14x2 speed gems) both Trinity (I only run Trinity[:P]). So my question is what would be a good pinion for both of these motors for the best power/speed trade off . I dont want to have to buy every pinion just to find the best gear ratio for either motor so Im hoaping at least one of you all could give me some ideas on which pinion is best for both motors (of course two different pinions , one for the hot and one for the stock). Any help would be appreciated [:D] Ok , you can shoot me now *runs for cover*[:)]

not sure the exact gearing for the truck as I never did run it.

But head over to : www.teamlosi.com and have a look for setups, there is sure to be one for the truck, which will include gear ratios. Or the manual will at least give you a starting point.

Ive tried that allready with no luck ( both the web site , instructions and the setup guids you sent ). All I could find was a pinion list of all they sell for it . I did Email one of the Losi guys in their support section the nite after it came in the mail but have had no replies yet [V] so I figured possiboly one of the many people on TC mite have experience with the XXX-T . Oh well , worse case senario is just buying all the pinions [:P] I think I will still be under $20 for all of them .

Glad to see that someone asks about racing cars in the racing talk section.

You don't say anything about how your track is. Does it have lots of streaights or is it quite tight? Is it high grip or low grip?

I would recomeng that you start by getting a 17-19-21 pinion. Start with the 19 for the stock motor, run a pack and feel how the temp is on your esc,battery and motor. Is it not so hot(it usally gets hot anyway but not red hot) You can go up to the 21. Do the same thing with the 14T motor. (I would rather have a 14x3 as it has more tourqe) Start with the 17 and feel the temp.

I race a XXX-BK2 and a XXX-4G+ and i use the recomended pinion stated in the manual,as a staring point when i get to a unknown track or try a new motor. Then i feel how the temp on the electrics is. If it is not so warm i can gear up and get more speed.

Thanks grusomkis . As far as the track , Im possiboly going to give a shot at one of my local RC clubs which is an indoor "offroad" track so that would be a tight/high grip course though I allso will use use it with my own group of friends on an outdoor/lowgrip course . The reason I ask about both the hot and the stock motors is mainly I want to start in the stock class with the local club with eventualy working into the mod class once I get used to everything . Ill have to give the manual another look , I must have over looked where it recomended a pinion sise . All I could find was just a generalised list of what you could run on the tranny with a lot of statements about the kit not being supplied with a motor or pinion so you could set it up the way you wanted too .

If you are going to run indoors , i will recomed to use the smallest pinion you can get. I would also recomend that you get all the pinions from 17-24 for your truck. It s allways nice to have a good selection ,of pinions when you race. No motors and tracks are alike ,and you will allways have to test out this.

I raced indoors on carpet with my BK2 this winter, and had to use a 17T with a 12 turn. When the track gets very tight you need power at once.

Here you can see a video from one of our indoor races. It is a little boring the first minutes due to only qualifying.

http://www.trcbk.no/upload/20050320_nc_2wd...nc_2wdbuggy.wmv

this shows an example of why the smallest pinion you can get in is nice to have.

Here is also a video of our outdoor track just after we was finished building the track last summer.

http://www.trcbk.no/upload/20040829_proven...provenm_4wd.wmv