Sign in to follow this  
greektony

Will a 15T esc work ok with a 14T motor???

How risky is this? i have an m-troniks sport rv which is recommended to run down to a 15T motor. I am interested in getting an M-Troniks Pro Vision Performance Modified 14x2 motor. Is this ok or am i better off with the same model motor just rated at 17x3????

Also which of these 2 motors would be better for off road? (I have a Baja Champ)

Thanks,

(sorry for all the posts today everyone!!!!)

i ran mine with a 15 turn motor and was kind of scared. it says limited down to a 15 turn. what does that mean? did one blow up when it had a 15 turn on it? i say you might void the warrenty if there is any if you fry it.[:o)]

TRicky question to answer. They put motor limits on ESC's for a reason, so it's always a risk if you ignore them. Having siad that, the ratins are pretty subjective, one manufacturers ESC might easily cope with a hotter motor, while anothers may not. Even ESC's and motors which appear to have the same specificartions will perform differently in actual use. The car, driving surface, driving style and amount of cooling, amongst other things will all have an effect.

The short answer is that yes, it would probably cope, as long as your car is in good shape and you drive it sensibly (dont do all those things the manual tells you not to do). It is a risk though, so don't do it unless you're prepared to buy a new one and don't expect any sympathy if it melts the first time you use it.

The other thing worth mentioning is that a 14 turn motor is not a good idea in a low spec car. If you must use a motor that fast, make sure the rest of the car is suitably upgraded.

It will likely work but who knows for how long. While the ratings may not be absolute they are rated for a reason. So the short answer is that it is not a good idea to run that.

Cheers,

Also M-Troniks aint a high end ESC manufacturer (dont get me wrong, they are fine for their money, also bought one lately) so their reserves wouldnt be high and their "marketing" rating less conservative...

I have a Novak rooster which is rated to 15 turns but I run a 14 on it all the time and it's fine. But like DJTheo says the M-Troniks is not such a good ESC so would'nt really be upto "overloading" so well.

Probably not worth the risk so go for a 15 turn motor. There's plenty of cheap motors abouts from people like LRP so it's easy to find one to suit what you want.

Baja Champ TL01B is quite highly-geared given its larger tyres and will put quite a load on the motor; there'll be pretty high draw on the ESC. I'd even think twice about using any hot mod motor unless you're running in a very large area without much stopping/starting.

hahaha This One is Really funny to me, i've recently came back to R/C'en, I Used to Use a Futaba Mc230<it was the only one futaba made at the time> ... Anyway the Speed gem modified burnt before the speed control. (speed control took a dump in a traxxis boat that sank) I'm now using a XL-1, using a Terminal Velocity 11 turn double. (Made by kyosho, dunno if it's even made any more)...

I'n my opinion if you feel comfy do it, if your sceared or can't aford another one don't...