Sign in to follow this  
Gates Mini Racing

Hop Up for an M03?

Does anybody know what ball diff either Tamiya or otherwise can be used in an M03 chassis? Also, does anybody know of some reasonably priced oil shocks? [B)]

Thanks for any help you can offer! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Gates Mini Racing

Does anybody know what ball diff either Tamiya or otherwise can be used in an M03 chassis? Also, does anybody know of some reasonably priced oil shocks? [B)]

Thanks for any help you can offer! [:P]

id="quote">id="quote">

This should give you the ball diff info:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/parts/rc28.htm

and this for the shocks:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/parts/rc25.htm

I got some Super Mini CVA shocks from walawala.com (based in Macau) pretty cheaply. Haven't built and fitted them yet, but it seems to be the usual recommendation (a bit shorter than the standard shocks I believe). UK price is about £14.50 per pair. Have seen the TRF and TA03 low friction jobbies on Minis as well but they're pricey.

There have been several threads on the board about hopups for Minis - try the search funtion at the top right...

HTH

David

Get the TA03 ball diff, and, if you can afford it, also the 3mm tungsten-carbide balls to replace the kit-supplied steel balls. The kit balls will get flat spots after wearing a bit, and the diff will not be smooth anymore. The tungsten-carbide balls don't ever seem to wear. With either ball sets you will wear grooves in the two contact plates over time, but these are easily polished out with fine grit wet sandpaper. I run my M03 with the diff screw set very tight, performance is excellent with no slippage.

Thanks very much, I will look into getting a ball diff, My mondeo has one and I seems to work pretty well.

id="quote">id="quote">

If the diff in your Mondeo is the one that was supplied with the kit, it's the "Manta Ray"-type, spare parts item # 53070. This one will it in your M03 too, like fury_dice kind of has pointed out already. As Tamiya racer points out, the TA03-type is of an improved design, and at the same price level, so like Tamiya racer I too suggest you buy the TA03-dif. Item # 53267. Obviously, the TA03-diff will fit in your Mondeo too.

Thanks, im sure i tried the mondeo ball diff before and it is quite a bit bigger? I will have another look... Any ideas?

id="quote">id="quote">

The "Manta Ray"-type diff that came originally with your FF01 Mondeo has a wider gear than the TA03 balldiff. Diametres, overall width of the diff and gear toothcount are the same, and both will fit both your M03 and your FF01 as well as many other Tamiya cars.