Sign in to follow this  
Cavscout

Good choice for radio gear?

Hey gang,

Just wanted to see about getting some ideas for some radio gear. Anybody want to throw some opinions at me for a good, all around, does not have to be what the pros use, abuse taking transmitter? There are so many, and I would just as well get something used that works. Thanks.

Scott

For the basic AM gear, the Futaba MJ gets my vote. Simple to use, rugged, acceptable looks... can't go too far wrong.

There are a few budget FMs around, but once up there you might as well consider going the whole hog and getting something high-end like a KO Mars. (Only caveat with KO is that its a compact petite unit, and might not suit anyone with large hands.)

quote:Originally posted by WillyChang

For the basic AM gear, the Futaba MJ gets my vote. Simple to use, rugged, acceptable looks... can't go too far wrong.

id="quote">id="quote">

I would second Willy on the Futaba. It has some extra adjustments over the 'basic' acoms/futaba/sanwa etc. - steering/throttle endpoints and steering rate - it looks and feels good, and it's not that much more than the entry level stuff.

That's assuming you want a 'wheel' set rather than sticks... (is that the sound of a can of worms being opened...?? [;)])

ive got the sanwa stick controller and that works great...

also getting a pistol grip controller i think its called...the one with wheel[:I]

i dont mind really as long at works and shows how much battery power the contoller has left im not picky

dan

Put me down as amother vote for the Futaba MJ. Never used a pistol-grip TX and being yet another Tamiya Club devil worshipper (lefty) I didn't want to spend a bundle only to find it didn't suit me. For the money (about £50) you get a good rugged unit (not throw it down in anger yet) with a few extra bells and whistles. Can't knock it.

Sam

What you really need is PCM/PLL 7-channel radio like the one that I use… You don’t need those tiny crystal thingies and you’ll also have a channel for everyday of the week…You’d also have the ability to have steering for every wheel on your car as well…lol…

ClodRadio.jpg

All kidding aside, all that I usually ever use is the basic Futaba Sport stuff… Even for racing, I never felt the need to have any of the fancy stuff. The only option that I really liked is the dual-rate steering option for use on racing my pan car… Even that was a cheap fix…just threw a 15-cent potentiometer in the circuit and then, WOW, instant steer throw control…!!!

Will

Now.. this is radio gear:

futaba-pistol.jpg

I used this when I was racing, many many years back.

It's the FP-T3PB, and you can probably get it with a receiver for about $100 on Ebay. (It used to be like $400 when it was new)

It has a wrist strap around the back, so it sorta straps onto your hand, all sorts of adjustments, and is pretty much the most comfortable radio to hold, and that includes the new ones.

I also have the newer computerized version, but that's not half as good to hold as this one.

This gets the Ideal2k "All time favourite" award [^]

Newer version:

futaba-pistol2.jpg

If you're wondering about the fuel tubing on the trigger, that's a simple trick to help you when breaking, because the trigger will sometimes slip.

For me, the most important part is interchangability. I have mostly futaba stuff. Occasionally, I buy a car with something else. It's a real drag to deal with the different servo/esc plugs. Luckily, the frequency crystals have (so far) been all interchangable.

Battery changing is also important. I have an older futaba transmitter where it is nearly impossible to remove the batteries from their holder. I have to pry them out with a screwdriver. I never use that one.

bang for your buck,futaba all the way.....out here you can get the

futaba 2PEKA radio,crystals,reciever,2 servos for $149 .a good deal

am not fm.i own a couple of them & they have been dropped,run over by other r/c s,run in bad weather & they still keep going.for my personal favorite i use the airtronics MX-3 fm,a nice unit,& has lots of features.

quote:Originally posted by bholio

For me, the most important part is interchangability. I have mostly futaba stuff. Occasionally, I buy a car with something else. It's a real drag to deal with the different servo/esc plugs

id="quote">id="quote">

These days its a lot more simpler, unlike the old stuff.

Just about everyone has standardised on the layout of the 3-wires,

and KO has even adopted the Futaba J plug. You can stick new Sanwa

(blue plug) and JR stuff into Futaba RXes too, just watch the

polarity.

I think Futaba has made amends for giving us the "F" plug.

Arrgh that was a nightmare!

AM xtals are all interchangeable, don't try it with FM.

Put me down for KO. A bit pricey, but you'll never buy another tranny again. They make setting up your car/s a sinch (can't remember the last time i used that word! If it is a word)

Also for those with a few cars, it has a 10 model memory amongs a shed load of other useful features. [;)]

I've had an Acoms Techniplus Alpha (27 MHz, AM, sticks) since my Fighter Buggy days (daze?), when rusty silvercans where quick and LHS's valueable... The good old days. [8D] Anyway, the transmitter suits my hands perfectly and I still have one.

However, I have a few months ago accuired a Futaba Attack T2ER (40 MHz, AM?, sticks). It came with my TB-01. It had a MSC setup, so when I wrecked out the MSC I got myself a nicemint steering servo. [8D] The design might be a bit 'controversial' but I must say that it fits my hands quite well. All in all I must say I am very happy with it. Both my transmitters have only servotrim and -reverse as adjustments though.

The can of worms has been opened? Well, I must say, I tried both the Stick and wheel type. And you know what I likle most? Actually, I really don't care! Both work just as fine to me, just a matter of getting used to...

I've held a KO Propo Mars, looks nice and fancy, not much wrong with it. But, as I've got quite long fingers the handle is a bit too thin for me; my index (throttle [;)]) finger 'interferes' with my thumb a bit. This whole thread reminds me once again that I should be looking for a nice transmitter, might get some top of the range stuff when I find the crown juwels on the street...

Hmmm... That Futaba 2PL AM Computer Radio sure looks interesting... Too bad I can't find anymore info about it...

Will

If it's simple back yard bashing your doing then you don't need any of those overpriced, overengineered systems, get back to basics and buy a good old ACOMS Techniplus [:D]

The current model is ideal for general use, it's quick, precise and durable, good semi ergonomic form on the 2 stick transmitter and best of all it's competativly priced, and dosen't look an eye sore like that redicuous Futaba T2ER [8)]

But the other Futaba models are rather good, excellent build quality like the older ATTACK models, Attack SR's are still availble through Tower hobbies, which are excellent radios.

I don't care much for the Hi-tec Ranger series though as it looks to be a bit cheap and nasty for my taste [B)] there are plenty of other brands of varying prices and quality, what you buy depend on your budget and needs, but at the end of the day they all do the same basic job and in the last 20 years Radio technology hasn't really moved on that much.