Sign in to follow this  
AstroVannin(2)

ROCK CRAWLING

I have among others a TA-01/TA-02 S-10 that I want to upgrade for scale offroading or rock crawling. There doesent semm to be too much information available on what to do. Can anyone give me some tips or point me in the right direction. Does anyone know what bodies other than the Tamiya original. Thanks

I have the S-10, It's hard to get too much more torqe from the gearbox. (is why i wanted to go to touring) However, i plan on trying 2.2 Blackfoot V-tread tires. They do fit, i just haven't had time to try them out on the street. The Gears only allow down to a 16Tooth pinion. (stock is 17)

If you are going to rock crawl you will need a *very* steep gear ratio. The TA-01 is not going to work well for this. You also should lock the diff if you are going to crawl. Also remember, if you go with bigger tires you will need to increase gear ratio even further.

In all honesty the TA is the *wrong* platform for this. You *will* be disappointed. It is the wrong gear train, it is too narrow, too short of wheelbase, you cannot get the articulation you will need and you cannot get the ground clearance you will need.

If you want to crawl get a Clod, Juggy or TXT and mod that for crawling.

Astro, I am not trying to rain on your idea but instead trying to inject some cold hard reality.

Join www.rcmt.net if you want to get in on this idea, the place is litteraly 'crawling' with ideas and help. [8D]

Cheers,

You may be on to somthing with the "wrong platform" statment. I guess I was just trying to use what I had. The reason I had thought it would be nice was for scale looks, but I guess you cant have it all right[:(]. I seem to remember some kind of "trials truck" built off a TA-02, it had a MAN truck body on it and it was in somones showroom. Is trials the same thing or somthing completly different?The S-10 is kind of a funny truck, it's the "jack of all trades, master of none". Should I resign myself to the fact it will never be really good offroad, or onroad, but rather be adequate at both?