Sign in to follow this  
Oblivion

Dodgy Battery?

Hi all

I have been using an LRP Sportpack 2100 battery in my wild dagger, and it worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then one time when fast-charging it, I could feel only one of the cells getting very hot. At that point, even though I was using a peak-charger, I disconnected the battery and tried it.(It was due to be just about charged anyway). However, the car moved only slowly[:(]. So, I sent the battery to be replaced and got a new one, but 2 weeks later (today infact) the same happened again.[:(!]

Does anyone know why, or are LRP batteries dodgy?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Oblivion

A 2100 is not an rc-specific cell. This kind of failure is not uncommon, because the cells (designed for power tools etc.) can't take the heavy loads put on them by an r/c car.

Check your charger settings (I wouldn't charge above 4A), but the basic moral is, buy cheap, buy twice - you can maybe try for a refund or credit towards a different pack off the shop or distributor. LRP's higher-priced cells are good quality. Basically, look for a Sanyo branded cell (or GP 3300) when you're buying stick packs.

What normally happens is that the cells can "Go in reverse" IE if the cells in the battery get flat enough and you then charge them, one cell actually charges in reverse polarity.

My best suggestion is that you don't run the battery until it is totally dead, let the pack run until the car is slugish, please be aware that the way NI-CAD batteries deliver their power, the is very little time between 'starting to go flat' and 'totally dead'

Once you notice it slowing down, stop and re-charge it (Your supposed to wait till the pack has cooled first)

My recommendation is that (If you havent got them already)

Buy a decent Delta peak charger

Buy as many packs as you can afford

Buy the best packs you can afford

I bought 3 Sanyo 2400 packs around 2-3 years ago along with a delta charger (Delta is a method of charging, not a brand name) and they have given me excellent service. I have lots of cars (around 10 different types) and 4 boats so they get a fair amount of use.

If you knew this already, sorry

Guest Carsnboats

Hi,

If you want cheap reliable batteries then try the "GP Batteries" racing packs from CPC (Combined Precision Components) They are 2000mah and cost about £11 plus Vat. I have been using them for 5 years and used to race a fireblade 2000 buggy at club level with no "Dumping" problems.

Cheers

Clive

Here's even more on batteries (to avoid double posts...) :

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6412

Also, I notice that you can empty Sanyo cells a lot further than other noname brands. I think this has mostly to do that most Sanyo packs are very well 'matched', the 6 seperate cells have very close speficications. In the factory they select 6 cells with very similar characteristics to make a pack, for the reason that it gives a lot better performance. They just can't make all the batteries the exact same, there are always differences, so this 'matching' is really needed... [8D]

I have no experience on LRP cells, but I can praise the Sanyo ones. Though my first 2400 died now, and my second has a bit of orange colored stuff on the inside of the shrinktubing... [:(]

Would anyone know of a good method to make the battery pack more waterproof, but that allows good cooling of the cells? [:I]

A frind of mine used it for his boat (making it water proof)

Use "bizon kit" for bathrooms, just put a little bit around the place where the wires go in the pack, a bit around the lines where the "cap" ends to the front / back of the pack..

and, u got a wather proof pack

Stefan

Please be aware if you buy a delta peak charger it is not advisabale to use on Ni-Mh batteries as it can destroy them.

I was reading last night on the web about GP Ni-MH cells being very good and a better long term buy (about how sanyo's and panasonics are better to begin with but 'go off' sooner, while GP's start off with slightly less grunt than the other two but 'go off' less quickly)

quote:
Originally posted by BiggusDitchus

Please be aware if you buy a delta peak charger it is not advisabale to use on Ni-Mh batteries as it can destroy them.

id="quote">id="quote">

Whats the best way to charge the Nimh accu's??? I just bought two of them so want to be sure how to charge them....[?]

quote:I have been using an LRP Sportpack 2100 battery

id="quote">id="quote">

Problem is in the name [;)] (sport)

Thesis:

quote:Whats the best way to charge the Nimh accu's??? I just bought two of them so want to be sure how to charge them....

id="quote">id="quote">

Just get a charger with variable peak detect and tun the setting down. A nimh pack is charged when it gets warm. Excess charge only gives heat, not power to the pack.

I went through 3 LRP 2100, one was replaced after a week, one died after 2 weeks, I went back to the shop to buy back the defective battery for cheap to fix the other one and have some spare cells. Now after about a month both batteries are dead, keep away from these cheap batteries, my friends have gone through similar experences with these batteries. The same goes to Team Orion 2400 batteries sportpacks, (2 for $36 from Tower Hobbies) it sounds too good to be true, I bought 2 x 2 packs. One is dead, one is on the way out and the other two don't even come close to my 2 Tamiya 1400s which I have had for three years. Now I have learned my lesson SANYO BATTERIES RULE OK.

Regards

In my backyard bashers I run GP 2000's at £13 per pack from Antics ( www.antics.ltd.uk ). I get a good 5-7 minute run in my King Blackfoot running a no limit ESC and 16t motor. I charge these packs up with a Ripmax Pro Peak Varipulse which charges my buggy packs and also the smaller NiMH packs I use in my plane and helicopter. Great charger - £40 from Antics again.

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan

A frind of mine used it for his boat (making it water proof)

Use "bizon kit" for bathrooms, just put a little bit around the place where the wires go in the pack, a bit around the lines where the "cap" ends to the front / back of the pack..

and, u got a wather proof pack

Stefan

id="quote">id="quote">

Exactly what I was about to do... but my only fear was that I'll fill the entire pack with it... LOL

A good cheap delta peak charger is the one I have, a Protech Mega Peak 3000... I am very happy with it and it charges NiMH batteries without trouble. [8D]

was thinking about it..

now my head hurts..

why not dip the front & back into glue ?

* exept the plug ofcourse lol *

Stefan

If you leave it in too long, you'll be dragging a pot of dried glue behind your car... [;)]

Ok, thanks guys. I'm gonna get a refund for my LRP and buy a decent Sanyo!

Cheers

Oblivion