mr_lister999.

What is the most stupid thing you have done?

LOL Thread from the dead :)

I recently mentioned this in another thread (about 5 years ago)

Mid 90s, discovered a mate was into RC cars in the 80s, we both still had them, thought we'd botch them up & fire them up for a laugh. 2 weeks or so later went for a 3 am stock car type bash after a night out (very messy) our last by now very short runtime packs were spent on a big jump contest........X1 origional Frog (his) X1 origional RR with only 3 wheels (mine) now at the bottom of the Thames.

Don't regret a minute, it was a blast :D .

I got married and let my wife see my bank statements and unfortunatly she has seen how much i spend on Tamiya.

If thats not stupid i dont know what is lol.

This thread is old enough to drink.

Me also, so I am off for a cold one after listening to some of these stories.

Paul.

I built a sulfur fired rocket in shop class in school and then I put two "D" sized motors inside my dad's Hornet, rigged them up to ignite when speed controller reached what. My cousin and I used to drag race our cars and I thought I would give him a little surprise lol.

Oh I gave him a surprise alright.... Took off down the strip, reached what, one motor fired and sent the hornet flipping on it's side, melting the entire chassis to death lol..baked the electronics...Totally ruined as my cousin stood there like "What the badword was that?" I think he wet his pants a bit.

It was awesome, but telling my dad I ruined his car....that was not so awesome.

I think being older now I could make something like that again and this time have it work without wrecking anything.

Rocket RC cars work much better when you disconnect the motor, as the motor slows things down. Also helps to electronically ignite them simultaneously.

P.

Something stupid I have done…

You mean like getting married to my ex wife? Naw can’t think of any dumb things I’ve done.

Hindsight is 20/20 folks -- There's no stupid decisions, only good lessons!

That being said, I let my parents throw away most of my RC stuff from when I was a kid. Left it a the house when I moved out, and had many chances to go collect it, but never did. :lol: Not a huge loss since most of it was thrashed to death, but the intrinsic value is worth more to me now.

-S

LOL Alot of posts in this thread sound 'like' (& I'm not saying they are) a well known phenomenon we have in recording studios, and I think it relates to long lost RC stuff too.....

If a machine breaks down or a wrong button gets pushed while recording a take and it gets lost or didn't record, that very same take becomes the best performance in the whole world EVER! everybody is mortified. When we sometimes find we can recover it from the drive or it did actually get to tape we listen back and its pretty much always rubbish. Its like psycho enhancement when you havent heard a record or seen a film for ages, & in that time it gets better & better in your head until you see or hear it again and think 'oh dear'.

I think if I ever got back my old RR it would be rubbish and 99% of it would be replaced in a resto job and the remaining parts would go in a box as basher spares that never get used.

Just a thought.

Rocket RC cars work much better when you disconnect the motor, as the motor slows things down. Also helps to electronically ignite them simultaneously.

P.

I was trying to hide the mod from my cousin so I drove the car around as usual with the rocket motors hidden and duct taped inside the body.

I wanted to start racing as usual under motor power and hit the turbo and watch the 3 foot flame come out the back while I go like 70 MPH past my cousin lol.

Turns out motor running full throttle and only one rocket motor firing was not a good combination. The motor came loose in the tape and after flipping the motor just sat there and flamed the entire inside of the Hornet.

I just got this unwise idea to get e reissue hornet and try this all over again. I could Youtube a video of it to my cousin for a good laugh.

Wow..that was over 20 years ago... Good times though..good times.

I won't even talk about your choice of chassis to go that fast. Did you consider brakes, steering etc lol :lol:

Paul.

I won't even talk about your choice of chassis to go that fast. Did you consider brakes, steering etc lol :lol:

Paul.

Oh it gets better. That **** thing still had plastic bushings in it..not one ball bearing!... ha ha...

We were just drag racing and the hornet seemed good for that..very peepi, light and fast, I didn't care about steering. I remember putting on smaller slick tires to get more "jump" at the light. I had no money back then so I had to work with what I had..including a car that was not even mine lol.

Oh I have one more thing that is pretty stupid I have done in RC cars.

I finally got my own car and got it all set up with friction shocks and everything then took it to the track.. I was racing with a bunch of gold tub aluminum RC-10's(awesome cars) and one Losi JRx2(they just came out)... The stupid part?..... I was driving a Kyosho Raider with friction shocks and 05 motor....lol.

I got a dirty look from the guy next to me when I slid into the corner(oval racing) and took out his $$$$$$ RC-10.. I didn't know it at the time, but I guess he was the track sensation or something lol... I heard complaints of why they let "toy" cars race with them(referring to my Raider) and actually got scared....these guys were serious lol and my dad made sure no one had a "talk" with me lol.

I loved my Raider...Currently have the entire collection NIB of the old raider series :lol: I lack a NIB Raider ARR with the green stripes, but some day.

I do have turbo Raider NIB, two Original Raiders NIB and the other assembled for display and one NIV Raider Pro.

What can I say?..I discovered Ebay and had my own money at my disposal :)

Sold my Boomerang and 959 for $50NZD (15GPB/30USD)

Well,

1st, a guy working in a garage, knowing that I was in RC cars, offered me 2 cars he had there for a while; a Sand Scorcher and a Wild Willy...

I took the SS, saying thanks and left the Wild Willy because it was not the style of car I really liked.... He then put the WW in the bin :)

2nd, when restarting with RC, I bought a B2B side car, the Pajero Dakar, both NIB, for a very very low price. I left the boxes, immaculate in my parent's garage.

One day, noticing the enthousiasm people have for boxed old cars, I decided to visit my parents to pick up the boxes. I couldn't find them so I asked my dad where they were...

He showed me a pile of small piece grey cardbox... I didn't understand immediately what it was... then I realized... it was my boxes :)

I was in the garden the other day with my Blitzer Beetle, then decided to run the Qd Monster bug,

Couldn't work out why the Qd wouldn't work :blink: , took it into house, stripped it all down, changed the battery connection,

It was only when I looked at the receiver that I realised I had the wrong transmitter in my hand.post-23151-1271503227.gif

Classic :blink:

At least you didn't tell the TV repairman the TV didn't work and you had the video remote control in your hand...

P.

Sold a new built Kyosho gold edition (option house) for little money.. Didn't know about it that time... :blink:

Sold a new built Kyosho gold edition (option house) for little money.. Didn't know about it that time... :D

Bought new alloy gearset from ebay for my blackfoot. Ran the wrong pitch pinion and destroyed them. Good going Dan. :blink:

I was in the garden the other day with my Blitzer Beetle, then decided to run the Qd Monster bug,

Couldn't work out why the Qd wouldn't work :lol: , took it into house, stripped it all down, changed the battery connection,

It was only when I looked at the receiver that I realised I had the wrong transmitter in my hand.post-23151-1271503227.gif

haha

Spent just over an hour the other night (1am on a worknight) re-assembling and dismantling my motorised support legs for my trailer as I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go.

Rebuilt the legs twice, checked all the switches, rechecked and soldered the wiring etc...

2 batteries were in the wrong way :D idiot. :lol:

Back in the early nineties i sold my Avante to my little brother for £10 .....Then about a year later i gave him my Egress......a few years later he moved out of home and mum cleared his room and binned both of them...

Back in the early nineties i sold my Avante to my little brother for £10 .....Then about a year later i gave him my Egress......a few years later he moved out of home and mum cleared his room and binned both of them...

I've never understood why parents bin their children's stuff like that. My parents never did it to me, and I'd never do it to my kids either.

I would go nuts. Period.

I've never understood why parents bin their children's stuff like that. My parents never did it to me, and I'd never do it to my kids either.

This.