mr_lister999.

What is the most stupid thing you have done?

I never took care of my old RC-cars.

So my Hilux 3 Speed vanished over the years. I have some gears from the gearbox which I dismantled just to see how it works....

When I was younger I had to learn it the hard way which in the end was a slow and costly way of learning - unfortunately.

But just some days ago I received my Junfac punisher shafts and had to shorten them. i just cut off the end of the outer shaft and did not know that the flat section is only at the end of the shaft, not over the full length:-( so no traction after shortening it...

Luckily I could repair it this time but sometimes I really could kill myself how stupid I was again to destroy some parts I waited 4 weeks getting them from HK or USA....

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Not too bad but :

1 : couldnt start the nitro thunder for ages, then someone pointed out the best way to pull the starter (short fast, not long slow), started within a few pulls.

2 : Couldnt start it, pulling hair out as everything was right, had throttle trim up to max to get more fuel, short pulls, then realised i didnt have the channel in the correct mode (ie normal/reverse) so the throttle was actually totally closed. Flicked the switch and worked in a few pulls, very annoying and a waste of about 20 minutes trying to work out why!

we need to start a new topic on this. I've never understood why some parents do this.

in 1992 i'm away at university, i get a phone call my mom is clearing out my room because my sister is moving into my room and they are renovating the house. so she starts with me.

"so i'm going to take all your stuff and throw it out"

i had who knows how much Rc stuff in my room at the time including cars, and helicopters. I told here if anything was thrown out i would most likely come home for winter break and be in jail for murder.

So after a lengthy argument and against my will, she boxes up all my stuff, and i later find out did throw out stuff, my movie poster collection and memorabilia, course i discover this about 2 years later when i finally get home and have to sift through all my stuff in the basement.

so i organize all my stuff, and move it into my sisters former bedroom which was basically a closet, i return back to school, come home for easter and discover my mom had moved everything back down to the basement because it made my new closet of a room look cluttered. I moved everything back and installed a Deadbolt on my new door, and took the key with me back to arizona.

my parents are awful people.

GOD! And I thought my parents were bad...I mean constant threats of smashing my cars to pieces and almost binning one a very expensive 1:8 nitro buggy is nothing compared to that :P

Dan, that is a heartbreaking story. Sounds like your mom was just determined to throw out your stuff and did it out of spite for some reason. I have moved 3 times and each time brought my daughter's small collection of belongings with me. The least your mom could have done was give you some time to sort it out and pack up what you wanted when you got home from break.

Can't really think of anything to add to this topic except that I left my old Wild One at my dad's house for some time and my younger brothers destroyed it.

I owned every single 'Oink' comic from release for the first couple of years or so. All in mint condition, complete and the lot got chucked days after I moved out. Although the collection isn't worth much now, it may be in the future. It partly spawned Viz publishing's success.

My parents are good people, they just don't understand the value, sentimental or otherwise, of these things.

Paul

One important life lesson learned....NEVER store anything of any value with your parents.

dazaa

One important life lesson learned....NEVER store anything of any value with your parents.

dazaa

That and his sister is clearly the favourite.

Stupidest thing I can think of is throwing out my Animal because the axles were bent and I'd lost the battery cover...Things I could fix in my sleep today :P

That and his sister is clearly the favourite.

Stupidest thing I can think of is throwing out my Animal because the axles were bent and I'd lost the battery cover...Things I could fix in my sleep today :angry:

HAHAHAHA, I loved the Animal. I never got one as a kid, and they weren't around for very long if I remember correctly. What a funny bit of nostalgia.

I threw away a 99% complete but busted (only a bent front knuckle) original Avante. I kept the alloy shocks and technigold motor only to throw those away later too....

Back then there were no internet hobby shops or Ebay and none of the LHS carried Avante parts so it sat in the box and was basically useless which prompted me to throw it away. Back then nobody would buy it either for the same reason, no parts support. For awhile I kept the motor and shocks hoping I would be able to use it on another car sometime in the future...that never happened...lol...too bad.

Wow! Some great and some awful stories in this thread!

I'd have to say the worst I've ever done was hack the side of my FAV so I could get a slide resistor speed control into it. Back then ESCs were so expensive only Richie Rich could have them. Most of us were still running our stock 3-Step controllers.

I still have the car (most of it anyway) including the Wild One rear adaptor and wheels.

i sold off my wild one to buy an optima mid.

i sold off my grasshopper because is was into racing.

then i sold off all my gear to a guy i worked with back in the 90's, only to get back into rc (tamiya only) 10 years later.

i wish i still had all of it.

edit:

i almost forget, the rocket powered grasshopper (on ski's) wasn't the best idea. lol

It just occured to me, the most stupid thing I have ever done is join Tamiyaclub.com :)

Paul.

I had been thinking of this one as well .

My answer is not rc related though.

I reckon the most stupid thing I did was marry my first wife :)

I have a few:

1. After I left school my 151 Boxed Matchbox cars, about 90 Hot Wheels including a series of of the Real Riders that came out mid eighties were left in my room at the parents place. Now a Matchbox car those day cost me ZAR 5-00. Today it will fetch anything from ZAR 500-00 to ZAR 5000-00 depending on the car and vintage. I know there was a car in that lot that had a big story behind it and somewhere in the late nineties one sold for £15000. Yip, and I had one, mint in the box. Real Rider Hotwheels can get as much as ZAR 750 these days. One day came home and found that they passed on to my cousins. I was devastated.

2. Had a chat with a chap about RC and he started talking about the truck he had. I picked up that it was a Bruiser and I out of stupidity told him what it's worth. Lost a pretty good deal there.

3. Sorry Stu, divorced my first wife......Yes I admit it was a mistake on my part. :(

Henk :)

Sold my Avante with Technigold in high school for $20 and a Chilli Peppers CD. The Cd turned out to be scratched :( .

Took out the Monster Beetle runner for some fun being chased by the family fox terrier last weekend. I cornered way too fast, hit a ditch and rolled it snapping off a rear body mount including part of the chassis.

Licked the inside of a freezer ;) .

Smashed my knee 3 times in 2 hours getting off the chairlift at Cardrona NZ snowboarding last year. Part of it still has no feeling at all.

Logged on to Ebay - I'd be the 9th richest person in the world if I did'nt do that but well my Star Wars and RC collections would'nt be what they are now.

I stir up my 7 kg tomcat Arnold and wonder why I get scratched on a regular basis.

Give me any screw, in any device including RC Cars, arrow rests, 1:1 cars, kitchen cupboard doors, book cases etc for any purpose in the universe and I will over-tighten it every time :)

Hmm, far as I am concerned, the scratched Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD wouldn't have bothered me...

P.

I fired a rocket out the end of my CB900F's handlebar once, simultaniously forgetting that;

1. That there would be an opposite and equal force on the handlebar - this made me turn sharp right (across the traffic!) into a side road I didn't want to turn into, and..

2. That I was passing a fish & chip shop - the rocket shot straight through the open door and set fire to a chair with a pile of newspapers on it.

..I wish I could've just zoomed off but I was stuck down a dead end side street bang opposite the chip shop! The owners were not pleased. :)

A ride-by rocketing with attempted arson... i don't think i would even come close to inventing that combination. :)

Hmm, far as I am concerned, the scratched Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD wouldn't have bothered me...

P.

agreed.

I fired a rocket out the end of my CB900F's handlebar once, simultaniously forgetting that;

1. That there would be an opposite and equal force on the handlebar - this made me turn sharp right (across the traffic!) into a side road I didn't want to turn into, and..

2. That I was passing a fish & chip shop - the rocket shot straight through the open door and set fire to a chair with a pile of newspapers on it.

..I wish I could've just zoomed off but I was stuck down a dead end side street bang opposite the chip shop! The owners were not pleased. :lol:

Thats the funniest thing i've heard in a long while lol, Kept me laughing all day today, Just thinking of them would you like salt and vinegar with that only to see a rocket coming there way lol, inspirational

;)

Cheers for brightening up my day!

Chris