Sign in to follow this  
Pandoras Kiste

Terra Crusher

Hello there,

I've heard rumors on several boards that Tamiya is planning to quit the TerraCrusher![V]

I'm thinking about getting one of these monsters and to find a solution I had a look around for some info.

It's seems that the TC produces a lot of problems e.g. engine and FRAT-tranny. The talk on these boards is mainly about the TC, the WildCommando is not mentioned that often (does noone buy it?). I know that the WC comes with a different engine as the TC (an OS, which is better than the TC's one). Heard about self-destroying TC engines and other cruel stories.

Does anybody on this board who owns a TC or WC has or had similar (quality) problems with the truck?

I really like this model but listening to all these complaints makes me consider my plans (the WC was my favorite!) and the new HPI Savage SS is on the horizont...

[?][?][?]

Tower Hobbies has the Terra Crusher listed as a discontinued item. So the Wild Commando must be its replacement.

I think that the main problem is people think the truck is tougher than it really is. Yes, it is a robust truck in comparison to other Tamiya models, but people tend to really pound it instead of giving it a little respect.

I own one and make it do jumps that end up with it 5foot in the air.... on a regular basis. I would not do that with my TG10R, etc.

The gearbox is rather comnplicated and is not as easy to deal with as other Tamiya gearboxes. Once you are used to it, it should present no tuning/service problems.

As far as the engine goes, everbody I know runs their's flat out all the time. This does lead to premature engine wear. This is usually due to wanting max speed (from a low ratio gearbox) or trying to take off from any kind of jump. The better engine is of course welcome in the WC.

If treated correctly the truck is in my opinion excellent.

The blue body TC may be marked as discontinued as the red one has just been released, however I do not remember either being marked as dicontinued in the 2003 RC guide...

Dave

It is the consensus that the Terra Crusher is dead. The problem I saw was that Tamiya was a day late and a dollar short on bringing it to market. It seems that lately Tamiya just can't get it right in the monster truck market. The Jugg1 and Jugg2 both cut short early in life. Now the Terra Crusher. Oh well they can alway churn out another subaru imprezza.