Sign in to follow this  
calvin3

Lancia Rally Decals

Does anyone know if the decals from the 58278 kit (Lancia Rally) are the same decals in the 58040 kit?

I don't have both decal sheets to compare, but I have compared the two manuals (58040 and 58278), and the majority of decals appear to be identical. The rear licence plates are however different, and because of the larger wheel arches of the 58040, the Martini stripes are different, but the new ones should be suitable. Apply them as they are, then use a fresh scalpel blade to cut the decal using the wheelarches as ".templates".

A few small decals are included with the 58278 which are not included with the 58040, but you can of course always decide to omit them for the right "vintage" look.

All in all the new decals are very suitable, but not perfect for a restauration.

Thanks for the response miramar...

Now for the update....I called Tamiya USA support desk. They told me that these 2 decal sheets were the same. From there I got a 58278 kit and started testing other pieces. Come to find out the front lights and lens' will also work. So then I called Tamiya back and ordered a decal sheet, front light tree and a lens tree. I am now at the point where I come to my next question.....

Does anyone actually paint this body or just leave it the kind of off white? The 58278 manual calls for Tamiya paint # TS-26 Pure White. This car isnt 100% original so I'm just thinking about not painting it.

I will keep everyone posted.

The decal sheets of the 58040 and the 58278 can't possibly be identical. The 58040 has a black text on white rear licence plate, whereas the 58278 has a correct (for Italy) white text on black rear licence plate. Also, as stated before, the 58278 decal sheet include a few small decals that are not included with the 58040, for instance the small decal behind the rear wheel wheel arches, and the "Monte" decal on the rear window.

quote:Does anyone actually paint this body or just leave it the kind of off white? The 58278 manual calls for Tamiya paint # TS-26 Pure White. This car isnt 100% original so I'm just thinking about not painting it.

id="quote">id="quote">

Painted looks always much better in the end as unpainted looks very plastic and yellows more in time, but if you don't want to risk or go through the trouble you can also polish the plastic up...

We had some different style license plate in the years.

The oldest, from born up to early '80 were squared, white text on black background. Next there was rectangle, white text on black backgroud. Last, maybe late '80 or early '90 we had black text on white backgroud.

In my opinion the correct license is the black text on white background, because when the real car was made we had that license style.

Roby

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo

Painted looks always much better in the end as unpainted looks very plastic and yellows more in time, but if you don't want to risk or go through the trouble you can also polish the plastic up...

id="quote">id="quote">

My Martini Mk.22 Renault body is unpainted as well - it must be a very old kit as it's very yellow! [:o]