Sign in to follow this  
gingerboy98

Upgrading shocks on Pumpkin/Lunchbox

On the pumpkin I have, the previous owner has used more modern tamiya oil filled shocks and turned them upside down screwed a nut down the thread of shaft then screwed it through chassis and then put nut on end of thread to secure to chassis then the bottom is secured as standard to wishbones. Never had the car running yet so dont know how it works but previous owner said it was great.

quote:
Originally posted by Biggus Ditchus

On the pumpkin I have, the previous owner has used more modern tamiya oil filled shocks and turned them upside down screwed a nut down the thread of shaft then screwed it through chassis and then put nut on end of thread to secure to chassis then the bottom is secured as standard to wishbones.

id="quote">id="quote">

Post us a pix, Biggus.

What shocks were they? Sounds like it might work on a Grasshopper-type chassis too.

Errr, I will get a mate to photo it my landlords son broke my digi camera[:(!] still away getting fixed, they are the yellow bodied tamiya shocks. Will post pics sunday night, seems to work ok. It uses the chassis instead of lower spring mount.

Most shocks will fit, as long as they're about the same length as a 'short' Tamiya CVA shock. You just need some little U-shaped metal brackets to attach them to the chassis.

By the way, If anyone has a bunch of those little brackets (part BP1) I need some. My truck is running on home made ones, but they're a bit rough [;)]

Tamiya's options sheet shows how to do it:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/getimage.asp?t=1130200242754&r=700

Be warned though, even the best shocks in the world aren't going to make a Midnight Pumpkin or Lunch box handle well. The centre of gravity is way too high and it has a lot of unsprung weight. So, don't expect it to make a huge difference.

Hope that helps.

Gary