Sign in to follow this  
Supershot

How long are 3000nimh run times????

I own a Tamiya off road and run it with a Novak sports ESC,Reedy Sonic motor(15Quad) as well as some very cheap and prehistoric Tamiya 1700scr battery packs!I am seriously considering changing to 3000+ cells,maybe even matched 3000+nimh cells.

I am currently getting 6 MINUTES OF RUN TIME with 1700scr's!How good are 3000 Nimh's?Do "matched" 3000 nimh batteries give longer run times than unmatched?Will I get an "extraordinary" run time?What are your personal run times in minutes?Is asking for 10 minutes+ insane?

I've got a single 3000 as well as a few 1800s and 1500s and the run time is definitely much longer. I couldn't give you exact times, but I'd hazard a guess at about 15 minutes on a dirt surface - I've used it in an M3 mini on tarmac for what seemed like about an hour!

They take an age to charge (on trickle) but value for money wise I'd definately recommend one...

if you are already getting 6 min runtime on a mod motor,i think your doing well!.take this into consideration-if you go to nimh3000s

yes your runtime will improve drastically....but will your car run sufficiantly for 10+ minutes.....(speed controll temp,motor temp).

it also depends what the reedy motor pulls in amps under load.also remember nimh batteries can be charged by a ni cad charger,but you will get better capacity & peformance,& life expectancy out of your packs if you go to a nimh charger.good luck!

p.s.- nimh cells do not like to get hot so watch your rate of charge

(amps)when rapid charging.lots of people think that a matched battery

pack is the way to go.....not necessarily....a matched battery pack

means that all individual cells are matched by amperage output - voltage output,internal resistance...and they have gone through a higher standard of quality controll from the manufacturer.its good for racing then you now you wont end up with a single cell dud...i have had matched cells & unmatched cells,it all depends on how you treat them.

Hah! 3000's

With my Clod I can empty dual 6 cell packs in 4 and a half minutes going full pelt. On the whole they are great. I get about 10 mins out of my stock touring car.

3000/3200s should easily give you twice the runtime of 1700s, especially if you've still using the Tamiya 'gold' packs which were early 1700s and not very robust anyway.

Note that you should use special NiMH chargers to peakcharge these new cells. Using an old Nicad chargers will often overcharge NiMH; also some Nicad chargers don't have current settings high enough to charge a NiMH before the 'max time' cutoff operates.

"Matched" packs are only worthwhile for racing; for general backyard bashing they're probably a waste of money. For general use you might as well buy *more* std packs for the same spend; NiMH also prefer to not work more than once a day.

Cells in Matched sets will also go out of sync after time, so aged packs won't be much different than same-age unMatched packs.

In matched packs you dont get not fully charged cells so fast like in normal cells, in any case it is important to discharge a battery completely before charging it. In NiMH batteries matching isn't so imporatant for its lifetime as they don't have memory effects. Also it is important to store NiCDs completely discharged while NiMh half charged.

Runtime is proporational to the battery capacity if driven under the same conditions & style so in your case 6mins*3000mAh/1700mAh=10.6mins i.e 10mins 36sec, but you never get exactly same conditions and driving style [;)]