Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

whats the deal with this Scorcher

Re: Items not available to UK,

I've been searching Tamiya worldwide for a while and I have to say that the number of items ONLY available to the UK is fairly large too. Many a time did I see stuff in Germany and the UK for which I would have paid more than what it went for, but the seller wouldn't ship to the US.

Their loss, I suppose.

Shipping varies wildly. I've had people PayPal me back 1$ because they overcharged on a $150,- item. At the other end of the spectrum there are people that charge $6,- shipping on a $5,- item and then it arrives with a $0.99 stamp on it. Mind you, they did put it in the description so can't really complain. I calculate it in before I place my bid. Also whether they allow PayPal or not. Any other method is either a PITA or expensive for the buyer (bidpay, anyone?)

Hint to sellers: I'm very happy when I see the PayPal button which if you click on has all the info filled out.

I have found most people abroad are happy to conform to my mailing requests, but yet still some ignore my email and post with a higher value than the auction was for, leaving me with a huge customs tax bill to pay the postman when delivered ,making the item overpriced in total !icon_smile_shock.gif

I have paid well over 500 UK pounds $750 ish import tax this last few months.

I could of had a Hilux for my collection for that!

But you have to take the rough with the smooth icon_smile_big.gif

My location (Johannesburg - South Africa)is quite a problem for me in terms of international shipping costs but when its worh it, its worth it. Payed almost $17.50 Shipping for an airmail package to New York (550grams/1pound in wieght) and it took 14 days to get delivered. A return package also took 14 days - so that must me the norm!!! I am doining a shipment to France next week - so Ill check the prices. Interesting enough to ship local or international is exactly the same shlep!!!!!! only the cost differs!!

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

Kida Local slang

Umm it means - lots of hassels/huge effort/timewasting/etc

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

HI lads, I'm not English, I'm WELSH and proud of it!! The only thing i find annoying about buying from the USA is that the TAX man has a slice of the action when it comes into the country. If the item is small they usually let it go, but if its model box size, then they slap the Vat on. Disgusting, as the item has had vat already paid on it. Never mind...........winge, maon, grumble.....

To all the UK guys here, whether Welsh English Irish or like me Scottish, what you need to do is give Customs and Excise a call and find out the rules on importing goods.

You will be surprised to find out how low of an amount you are allowed to bring into Britain before you get taxed, armed with this information you will be able to add that to the VALUE of an item you are buying when you can then condsider whether or not it is worth buying from outside of the UK, or if in fact it is as good a deal to go down to your local model shops and buy from them.

You will also find the more we support the local guys the more they support us. I always get discount from them as I am a frequent customer.

Of course this is not always possible with older items, in this case I find it helps to build relationships with 1 or 2 sellers who will, if you ask nicely, mark the value lower to avoid high taxes, but of course if the item gets broken or goes missing you can't claim the true value !

Tough choice !

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

I ship all over the world - and sometimes in large amounts.........I have NEVER had a problem !! (touch wood!!).......

I always give a flat rate in my auctions for shipping - usually pretty close to the actual cost - sometimes I might make a bit more - other times I loose - either way no one has ever complained - because I am up front about it. I also have to apy for the boxes and shipping bags here - the government wants money for everything !! LOLOL.

There is no doubt though - that there are a number of sellers that really do "stick it up you" if you are not in their country - a few names spring to mind - however I wont name names........one had the hide to ask me for another 20 USD - (on a 50 dollar item) - JUST because he had to fill in a customs form !! Others have outragous charges listed in their auctions for "handling and all that ****......... each to their own - if it bothers you - well just dont bid !! (like me !!)

On the customs front - I always only put 10 or 20 USD on items - unless requested to do otherwise - as I want my frineds in this game to have their money for their cars - not the customs ******s !!

This is a good topic !!

Cheers

Darryn

Visit my Web Page !!

webpagelink.JPG