Inspired by Newbies last post, I though we could start a thread of great snipes. Have you been sniped or sniped anyone with seconds to go?

This is not a witch hunt but a celebration of Brinkmanship - its the bidding worlds equivalent of playing Chicken. Who is the best? How late dare you leave it? No hard feelings either way its all part of the game...

[last minute bidding on an item that no wanted anyway does not count logo_member2.gif

i just got a perfect avante bodyshell kit already painted and decals done. Still has box and all that. I sniped it with about 25 seconds to go and got it for 25$ Was that a good deal?

And another one was an avante shell for 16$ by the same seller that ended a minute after the first. It was yellow w/all decals and verry good shape. was that a good deal?

Our record snipe is 12 seconds. we tried to bid with 25 seconds left but for some strange reason it thought we were not logged in so with 25 seconds left we had to retype our name and pass, and we got it donw with 12 seconds to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

selling one must mean i get two more...right?

I always have one too many when i figure i always need one more.

Not that I doubt you Days but...

quote:
and do not post if you don't have the link to back it up
id=quote>id=quote>

Want to keep this competition factual rather than based on anecdotes(?)

Cheers

Chris

logo_member2.gif

heres a 27 seconder, not great but its ok.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1769718483

21 seconds here

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1769864755

Darn i cant find that one with the 12 seconds. Ill have to ask my dad to find/give me the ebay number for it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehe its on...

I sniped my NIB sealed (!) Porsche 934 with 5 or 6 seconds to go and got it for about $360,- Why so cheap? The seller auctioned it as the plastic model and only 2-3 people noticed it was the RC model. A few hours before the end it was still at $50 and at closing (middle of the night here in Europe; set the alarm to wake up) it was at $320 if I recall correctly. The 2nd bidder was stupid enough to bid "only" $360,- Lucky me :( I broke the seal to see whether it was indeed the RC car which it was.

Edited by - Pointy on 06 Oct 2002 22:44:26

****!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1772422802

i usually do it with 30 seconds left. This time i waited long so i could beat your 4 second record!! AHH i got 5 seconds!!!!!!

quote:

I think I got everyone here....I tried to snipe this in the last 4 sec. See if ya can figure out what happen.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1770605391

UTS.gif

click the lil green guy to get to my siteid=size1>

id=quote>id=quote>

This is what happened you bid the same ammount as the other guy. His bid was ahead of your bid. By ebay rules that means that bid goes to him.

-------------------------

I am so smart, I am so smart! S-M-R-T..I mean S-M-A-R-T!!

anyways, you bid 9 seconds befor the auction end, not 4

Here's one of my recent snipes (6 seconds):

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1761628290

This one today:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...item=1772967548

apparently my clock is off, because I didn't intend for it to snip 12 seconds in advance. That's not even snipping icon_smile_wink.gif

I used to use a program called iSnipeIt, and fortnately I never paid for it. I found a registration code online so I could extend my 'trail period'. The messageboard for the program had some negative comments so I wanted to see what they where gonna do about that. Well, sure enough, they didn't do diddly-squat. And then ebay changed the format and the program stopped working at all. Mind you, there are still people selling this software on eBay! Total crooks.

So I switched to a program called Merlin AuctionMagic, for which the developer seems to be active, fixed to support the new eBay format in a very short time, so I happily paid the reasonable price.icon_smile_wink.gif

Sniping is an interesting phenomena. Some people will actually get angry about it. The matter of fact is that it's perfectly legal according to the eBay rules, so it's best to deal with it and play the game. If I'm not sniping your auction, then someone else will.

There's no intelligence or black magic to sniping, the hairy details are handled by software.

My main rule is to ONLY bid on something using the snipe software, except for stuff that's listed with the Buy it Now (BIN) option. There's no reason to put in a bid beforehand.

(actually, sometimes sellers will end an auction early, so that would be a reason to put in a bid earlier, or at least contact the seller to see if they are interested in ending the auction early)

In case of BIN items, you may want to put in an initial bid to make the BIN option disappear. I only bid the opening bid and then let the snipe software do the rest.

If there is a BIN option AND the item has a reserve, well, you have to decide quickly. Technically it would be best to manually reach the reserve by small imcrements and then have the snipe software put in the final bid. Unfortunately sometimes sellers set an unreasonably high reserve, so it's kind of hard to decide what to do.

It's important to realize though that sniping is often a high-risk game. If you want an item really bad, you have to bid high. There's always the risk of an other sniper feeling exactly the same, driving the price up way over market value.

Also, there's the risk of network failures. Not to mention the time I was waiting for an auction to end (this was before I was using software to do it for me) in the middle of the night, just to have eBay go into 'maintenance mode' right before the auction end. Making it impossible to put in a bid before it ended.

So anyways, people can get angry with me, but I came up with all this stuff after someone sniped me on an auction that I was really excited about. I tried to put in an other bid but for some reason my username/password was lost and I was unable to type that in, in the remaining time. After that I realized there should be an automated way to do this and after some googling found out about sniping.

Well here's a slowish 5 seconds i did recently, not using software either, done the old fashion way. not bad considering my slow connection speed.

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl...item=1768100920

As for snipe software i don't think you should use it, but that's cause i don't have it !icon_smile_wink.gif Although i prefer the buzz, a couple of miutes to go and my adrenalin starts pumping, what a rush !

Edited by - flyby on 09 Oct 2002 17:56:04

I agree there is a definate rush about watching the dying few seconds of an auction - wondering how long you should leave it. That said I have just set up my first automated snipe. I'll let you know how it goes...

A prize if any one can guess what its on logo_member2.gif