Sign in to follow this  
wildone85

somebody (TL-01) help!!!!

Today I climbed through a fence to a beautifully appointed R/C track. I have a TL-01 chassis and a mad fighter just for fun and a freind has a TG 10 WRX. This was the first time we ever raced our cars on a track after years of being out of the hobby. Need less to say the rexy was the star of the show. But I was astounded at the sluggish performance of the TL-01. I know This is an entry level car but I would like some advice. I have built it pretty well but can anyone offer some suggestions to make it go faster than something we could purchase at Kmart. Is there anything I could check to see that she is running well. Th motor was very hot also.

In order to get it moving quicker (with a stock engine) you need to reduce friction and the weight of rotating parts. Sealed bearing and speed tuned gears are a great start, you may then want to look at Carbon gear shafts and propellor (these greatly reduce rotating weight)[;)].

An out-of-the-box stock motor will always give you frustration regarding speed but before you change this the bearings are a must.

The speed tuned gear set does not really reduce rotating mass. Is it a smaller 'spur gear' used to get a higher gear ratio. (same as adding a bigger spur gear to a TB-01/TA-04 etc. etc.) The term 'speed tuned' is quite vague to me, it does increase top speed but acceleration suffers. As with all gearing changes, acceleration/torque will have to give in to get more top speed.

The carbon gear shafts don't rotate themselves, so these don't decrease the rotating mass, just the total mass of the car. That helps too, but not as much as decreasing rotating mass. [:)]

The carbon propellor shafts doesn't really sound usefull to me either. It does do a difference, but I don't know if it's worth it. Also top speed doesn't not greatly depend on the rotating mass, where acceleration does, but again - all little bits help.

I personally think you are better off using the money for more sensible hop-ups. I think what you are looking for would be the ball bearings (BB's). These are fairly cheap nowadays anyway, the best hop-up money can buy. You need 24 times the '1150' (11x5x4) size for the TL-01. I often buy TL-01 sets to obtain a big ammount of these for other cars, as it's a lot cheaper than 'per piece'. I have left-overs, but BB's are a good spare to have. [;)]

Other than that... Perhaps oil shocks to improve handeling, but these don't actually increase the straigth end top-speed... [:P]

Thanks for the advice. Very grateful! from what I can remember the the TL01 has positions for 3 diffferent gear ratios. I don't know how many teeth the stock pinion has but would a better gea rtio assist with take off and top speed?

Its a tradeoff changing just the pinion. Smaller pinion=Quicker acceleration, slower top speed. Larger pinion=slower acceleration, faster top speed. (providing motor can reach full rpm in both instances)

quote:
Originally posted by Sjoerd

The carbon gear shafts <...> The carbon propellor shafts doesn't really sound usefull to me either.

id="quote">id="quote">

I got both these, and I have to say it's a huge WEIGHT difference.

The stock prop shaft and gear shafts weigh at least 200gram, while the carbon ones are about 30gram - so that's a weight saving of 170gram.. quite incredible that really.

But it won't make the car go quicker [:(]

Other than that:

-get the "super mini" cva shock set, it's quite cheap and works well

-get ball bearings

Weight does not hinder your car in straightline speed...

Bearings are a necessity.

TL01 comes with 19t pinion, right?

As stock, they are geared much too low.

Try 21 or 23t... latter gives 20% higher topspeed.

Try a New motor... Tamiya SportTuned + 23t gives 100% improvement.

There is also a SpeedTuned gearset for even higher gearing =topspeed.