Sooooooooooo many times I have had my dream item shot to peices by those cowardly drive-by bidders in the final 30 secs of an auction that I have had no other choice but to resort to the same tactic......

.... I wait patiently day after day rubbing my hands nervously with the sweeeeeeeet aniticipation of claiming victory in my most recent and noble quest.......watching... waiting.... until the last possible moment and then..... WWWHHHAAAAAMMMMM!!!!! snatch the goods with one glorified out-bid and laugh hysterically as I flee into the horizon with my Holy Tamiya goods grasped tighly in my hands.

Well thats the plan anyway and it goes somthing like this.....

2 min, 11 seconds...

[reload]

1 min, 47 seconds...

[reload]

1 min, 20 seconds....

[reload]

58 seconds....

[reload]

46 seconds....

[reload]

41 seconds....

[reload]

37 seconds....

[reload]

34 seconds....

[enter maximum bid = $85.00]

Warning page cannot be displaged

[reload]

Warning page timed out

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

Just when you thought it would never happen again....good old murphy's law springs again up and anihilates an otherwise perfectly good plan.

Haha, lol, thats happened to me once or twice before. But I have a habit of saying, I will only pay £150 for that, but u enter £150 and u get outbid with a minute to go, so just to prove apoint I enter £160, a get out bid with 34 secs to go, I wait 10-15 secs more and bid £175, wham I win, yay[:D], NOOO[:0][:0], **** I meant to only spend £150[8)][:(]. I have a compulsive diorder on doin that on ebay, great for sellers who have me bidding on their items, but bad for me,lol. I do resort to last minute bid and grabs. I don't bid on any item until the last minute of any auction. Its fun seeing two people outbid each other for 2 days, then me to come along and out bid them all in the last 20 secs of the auction and win the item. I have evn had a few hate mails, of which have very rude language, addressed to me for having so called "sneaky and manipulating tactics towards other ebayers". Sometime u have to resort to dirty tricks to win the items u want. [:D][:D][:D], then sit back and laugh when u do win em [:D][;)][8D][}:)]

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

This is why you need to sign up with auctionsniper.com The will do the bidding for you and you can sit there smug in your chair and watch you bid go in automatically.

Jim

Shogdog is right, I don't know about Murphy's Law, I think plain old logical thinking would help a lot while bidding.

You'll have a much greater chance of winning a auction if you just decide how much you're willing to pay for an item up front and then place your bid right away. Of course you have to decide for a price that will match current "market price" for an item, as they are likely to be sold in that price range. If the item doesn't reach the usual price level, you'll win it without paying your maximum bid anyway, hense you're gonna make a good deal that you're looking for but often missing out on.

You won't have any last minutes budgets blows and you don't have to place those last seconds bids (which really doesn't help you much if another bidder has a higher maximum bid already registered). If you don't win the auction you've simply been outbid.

Then just try again later when a similar auction appears and hopefully things will go your way.

Also, a thing to concider when placing a maximum bid, lets say it's $100, it can be wise to add just one dollar, so that your max bid will be $101 - you'll win over that other bidder who have the same limit of $100. Of course you can say, let's just add one more dollar, but hey, you should then just reconcider you max bid limit...

This is the way I look at it anyway, I'm no expert, but it works for me!

Here's an example of how sniping can save you money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3205167105

Check out bid history.

The buyer is a radio DJ where I live. He was talking about buying 'something' on ebay and was planning to snipe in the last minute. He didn't say what it was for fear the listeners would try to buy it out from him.

Anyway. At about 10 minutes left, I he got nervous and put in his final bid. For the next 7 minutes someone kept incrementing their bid. The DJ won, but the other bidder cost him about $500 US on a $1200 item. The 'other' bidder went right up to the DJ's max, but stopped one bid short of matching it. The DJ won right away (not one of those retract the winning bid scams).

I think the trick is to come up with your final amount in advance, but place the bid in the last minute. Unless you really want the item at any cost, your max is not going to be way above the going rate for the item, so your max+1 is not out of the realm for someone else to bid in order to outbid you. Better to not give them the chance.

I usually add $.02(USD) to my bids. Actually won by the $.02 once.

I'm with Bholio, placing your bid way before the auction ends only drives up the price. I let that high bidder think he's getting it then shablam my bid goes in. If you bid early, other bidders will feel the need to counter that bid. also they will know other people are interested in that item.

Thats right....the key is placing your maximum bid amount at the very last second (or minute)......which is what backfired on me yesterday [:(][:(][:(][:(] ...its all about finding that fine balance between the tick-tok of the auction clock and the thickness of your wallet.

Anyone can place a $1000000000000000000.00 [xx(] maximum auto-bid right at the start...if the've got the money and then win the auction.

But everybody wants to get their beloved tamiya part/kit for the cheapest price possible...its that 'Bargain Hunger' that we all have.....a need to feel like we got the best deal possible....and then we can utilise all that left over $$cash$$ for our next bargain hunt.

Perhaps I might try that auction sniper place...their prices seem fair.

Joshn

Although in Ebay news, it seems they are going all out to cancel all bids that any auction sniper places within the next few months, so come summer time, all bids WILL have to be done by u the bidder. I have to say I am 100% for the idea of cancelling all auction snipers. Although they don't always work. I managed to outbid a guy who was using an auction sniper with only 15 secs to go, It must have been tight to get my bid in. I ended up with a Motorola V70 Rotomoto Mobile Phone for £59($90), which is an amazing bargain, retail in Uk is £390. Just my opinion, of which i am entitled to.

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

Jimmy, do you have the link to that press release? Recently they canceled an auction of mine when I inserted a link to auction sniper. Really I don't see why they would be so uptight about using an auction sniper service. It is in Ebays best interest. Bottom line is that the highest bidder will win. That means a higher end of auction fee that ebay will charge.

quote:Jimmy, do you have the link to that press release? Recently they canceled an auction of mine when I inserted a link to auction sniper. Really I don't see why they would be so uptight about using an auction sniper service. It is in Ebays best interest. Bottom line is that the highest bidder will win. That means a higher end of auction fee that ebay will charge.
id="quote">id="quote">

Propably because with last second bidding, as written above, prices don't go so high, as there is no continuous bidding just to overbid the other and you keep your initial amount, dont do that "mmm, lets try a bit higher..." [;)]

But how will they know which bids come from sniper providers or programs, as data going to them are the same? The only thing I think they could do is block bids coming from IP adress they know that belong to sniper services, but programs running on your PC they wouldn't be able to find out, but I am not an IT expert, propably Chris will know more...

Fighting against this stuff in these ways, i.e. by forbiding instead of making a attractive alternative, like also the records companies fights against mp3 and cd copies, never really works, people find always new ways and loose also their sympathy to the company, something like that would significantly limit my buys from ebay, sorry but there are nicer things in life than waiting at home or waking up in the night for an auction end [;)]

Hi all

I'm a day away from using Auctionsniper for the first time (nothing RC related), and i must admit i'm a bit nervous whether it's going to work or not. I was just wondering if anyone has had it fail, by not putting a bid in for you at all!

Also has anyone tried to bid manually while you are using sniper (just in case)!!? Would both bids be accepted i.e. bidding against yourself?? [8)]

Happened to me yesterday, had the high bid on a opel ascona bumper and rollbar for 10gbp, watched the item and in the last 5 seconds it went to 10,50......lost it..

Also went a bit too high on the SS that will arrive soon at my doorstep ;-) its hard to stop bidding when you want something. (and can sort of afford it)

quote:Originally posted by SteveH

Hi all

I'm a day away from using Auctionsniper for the first time (nothing RC related), and i must admit i'm a bit nervous whether it's going to work or not. I was just wondering if anyone has had it fail, by not putting a bid in for you at all!

Also has anyone tried to bid manually while you are using sniper (just in case)!!? Would both bids be accepted i.e. bidding against yourself?? [8)]

id="quote">id="quote">

A couple of times auction sniper has failed to place the bid for me. once when they didn't have my credit card info correct and another recnetly when the internet worm was making it's was around slowing things up.

You can never bid against yourself on ebay. As long as you are making the bid using the same ID , ebay won't raise the amount over your last bid. I kinda like refering to the practice as fortifing your bid.

Shodog...I have often wondered about that.

What happens if you place a maximum bid that is not high enough and you would like to increase it...do you have to wait until another bidder out-bids you before you can set a new higher maximum bid???

I tried this once after I realised that my lowish max bid was a mistake....but eBay refused to increase it.

I dont see anything wrong with setting whatever max-bid you like at any point in the auction...even if you are the highest bidder...as long as the bid is higher than your previous one.

Can anyone think of any good reasons why this is the policy?? After all...it simply means that the seller is getting a better price.

Joshn

quote:Originally posted by bigwig_boy

Shodog...I have often wondered about that.

What happens if you place a maximum bid that is not high enough and you would like to increase it...do you have to wait until another bidder out-bids you before you can set a new higher maximum bid???

I tried this once after I realised that my lowish max bid was a mistake....but eBay refused to increase it.

I dont see anything wrong with setting whatever max-bid you like at any point in the auction...even if you are the highest bidder...as long as the bid is higher than your previous one.

Can anyone think of any good reasons why this is the policy?? After all...it simply means that the seller is getting a better price.

Joshn

id="quote">id="quote">

You can increase your bid by simply bidding again with a higher amount. The bid history will show you made another bid but the current bid amount will not be affected until someone else places a bid against yours.

Here is a link to Ebays' buyer section. it should answer everything you wanted to know http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/topics.html#topSelection

Jim