I think those extender sites are brilliant, from a selling point of view!! Imagine the bids keep going until some maniac who desperately wants the item, bids himself into bankruptcy...woooo.

I have never one a single item on Ebay, keep getting screwed at the last pica-second....I shall persevere!!

Claire - I feel your pain, I hear you....!

quote:Originally posted by Edge

I think those extender sites are brilliant, from a selling point of view!! Imagine the bids keep going until some maniac who desperately wants the item, bids himself into bankruptcy...woooo.

id="quote">id="quote">

Nah, I beg to differ.

Sitting there for so many multiples of 5 mins, one soon loses interest and gets a reality check. It is very seldom that an online auction gets extended many times anyway... you'll need several active/crazy bidders to be present at the same time.

At the end of the day, the sniper 'utilities' are only effective because

a) it is virtually impossible to re-bid in 5 seconds

B) hardly anyone I know REALLY bids their maximum, and if they did it was lower than the sniper wanted to pay

3) Not everyone uses it - if everyone used it, there'd be no point in it

My old man is a classic case; He scans 'new today', puts a 'marker bid' on the item, then starts a bidding war over a pack of ten fuses!

(13 amp plug fuses!!!)

He was after a compass a while back - so he put £30 on it.

My mum phones "can you outbid him, I'll get it for his birthday"

I snipe bid £35 for her.

Dad rings "actually, make it £36, cos everyone will stop at £30" (twisted logic entering the fray)

This went on for a while, til I explained to my mum that she's only outbidding herself and she should just buy him some slippers!

If both of them had bid/sniped their maximum and left the auction to run it's course, the price would've been a lot lower.

As it was, my dad got sniped anyway.

All I do now, is watch the item 'til nearly the end, then bid my maximum, then leave the auction to finsh.

I watch the old man's daily though, it's quality[^]

quote:So yeah, if 2 sniper softwares bid the same max amt, the earlier one wins. It would be really unlikely that both would bid at the same nanosecond... but if they did, hey who's gonna believe you??
id="quote">id="quote">

Even better, 2 of us can put the same snipingservice to bid the same amount at the same time (for example 10 sec before the end of the auction) and see what will happen, maybe the system will get crazy and all auctions will appear with BIN $1! [}:)][:D]

Yeah, sweet dreams Theo... [|)] LOL but still an interesting experiment...

I think that sniping makes using ebay sort of like playing a game. I agree that if I was trying to purchase an iron lung, or something else of vital life and death importance, the game would be quite unwelcome. However, since I'm buying toy cars, it's no big deal.

If ebay started using an auto-extend auction system, it would become more serious. I think that prices would initially go up, but they would also lose many buyers like me. I've used auction sites like that (onsale.com) before and it was very annoying as a buyer.

If ebay chooses to ban auto-snipers, it's probably better, although I don't really know how to tell the difference between an auto-snipe and a hand-snipe. At the end, when I lose, it's because I bid too low.

It is indeed very likely that eBay will soon ban the automatic bid sites.

It is also likely that the next day eBay will "introduce" auto sniping with a company they own!

I say if you cant beat em join em. I have lost auctions before to snipers and it drives me crazy to loose by a dollar grrrrrrrrrrr........

I like to do my sniping in person [}:)]......Its such a rush, counting down , refreshing my screen, the sweat running down my itchy trigger finger [:D]

My personal best is just in at over one second to the end.

But it is true....You do see it later at a cheaper price.

Oh, but that rush......

Cheers,

javelin395

quote:Originally posted by Javelin395

My personal best is just in at over one second to the end.

id="quote">id="quote">

1s is the minimum.

Zero is not possible. [8D]

I always use Esnipe, it's just way cool, but did have a few second highest bidders sending me abusive emails about outbidding them on the last seconds, I mean it's everybody's choice what to do, I prefer snipeing because Iget the stuff actually cheaper then I used to before. I'm bidding on a lot of stuff within the USA, most of their auctions run out at something like 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning with

me so Esnipe is very convinient, sorry ukclaire, but if you wanted those tires you should have placed a higher bid, and at a later stage of the auction, As for Ebay cancelling all bids by sniping programs,

they are just annoyed that they didn't come up with the skeem, they are loosing money (which people pay to the sniping people) that's their only problem !!. So if you want to do it proper SNIPE IT !!!

Franz

Sniping is an art...I prefer no auction sniper.

Why do i snipe besides the obvious(saving moneys), because I believe if you want something bad enough youll be there in the end.

What FRUSTRATES me are the idiots that bid on everything Right at the beginning.

There is one dummy on ebay who bids on EVERYTHING NICE that has tamiya in the title within 10 minutes of opening.

I mean i dont get it....how much more money do you want to pay for something just because you are the high bidder a week, a day, an hour before it closes. [?]

quote:Originally posted by TamiyaBeaterFleet

Sniping is an art...I prefer no auction sniper.

Why do i snipe besides the obvious(saving moneys), because I believe if you want something bad enough youll be there in the end.

What FRUSTRATES me are the idiots that bid on everything Right at the beginning.

There is one dummy on ebay who bids on EVERYTHING NICE that has tamiya in the title within 10 minutes of opening.

I mean i dont get it....how much more money do you want to pay for something just because you are the high bidder a week, a day, an hour before it closes. [?]

id="quote">id="quote">

I think I know who you are talking about. I also believe he is a TC member. I think alot of people do this as it allows them to track more than the 30 auctions allowed in the my Ebay page.

The thing is that I only want to bid on stuff I intend to win. It shows sellers that I am serious and it also might be a deterent to potential bidders as they think they might not win against me.

Jim

You know whats even worse than that? The guys who place a 1.00 bid and nothing else, just to remove the b.i.n option so the person has the entire auction run time to decide what he/she wants to do. I have had this happened to me on several occassions by one particular culprit: I will click on an item which had a bin, only to find out this person placed a 1.00 bid and it removed the bin. I would have bought the thing to, and yeah I know you can email the seller and explain the situation, but alot of people dont want to mess with it. My solution: said culprit struck at one of my recent auctions; I promptly blocked him from bidding. I would have rather gave the stuff away then sell to him.

Scott

quote:Originally posted by Cavscout

...The guys who place a 1.00 bid and nothing else, just to remove the b.i.n option...

id="quote">id="quote">

Easily solved, if you set a reserve price. [:D]

BIN don't disappear until reserve is met.

You know whats even worse than that? The guys who place a 1.00 bid and nothing else, just to remove the b.i.n option so the person has the entire auction run time to decide what he/she wants to do. I have had this happened to me on several occassions by one particular culprit: I will click on an item which had a bin, only to find out this person placed a 1.00 bid and it removed the bin. I would have bought the thing to, and yeah I know you can email the seller and explain the situation, but alot of people dont want to mess with it. My solution: said culprit struck at one of my recent auctions; I promptly blocked him from bidding. I would have rather gave the stuff away then sell to him.

id="quote">id="quote">

And what is wrong with this? Suppose I think I can get the item for less than the BIN price if the item is allowed to run full course? If you haven't placed a reserve you are just getting what you ask for, namely bid(s). I have done this in the past. Knock out a BIN and snipe at the end. Sometimes it works fine, other times the item has sold for more than the BIN.

Knocking out a BIN is not against the rules. Where is the foul??

LOL, great debate!! [8D]

I personally prefer to wait until the closing few minutes before bidding and do it manually, it is more exciting and makes it all a fun experience. I occassionally bid on stuff very early but that is because I know I'll be away on business for a few days, most of the time I lose the auctions but on occassion I have returned to find a few wins [:D] I have no problem with people sniping but I think it tends to spoil the fun a bit. I haven't lost many auctions though, I think my record is something like 70% of auctions bid on I've won without sniping so I guess maybe I pay a little more.
PS. UKCLaire, how do you know it was a sniper server? I have also won auctions the good old fashioned way by bidding in the last few seconds, my record is also 1 second from auction end.

I would like to hereby solicit any tc members who have ebay auctions running to ban Mr. Twmaster, a self confessed spoiler of perfectly good BIN's, from bidding on those auctions. All kidding aside Mike, I was just terribly frustrated because there was a car I really wanted for some time ( an old Kyosho nitro )and every day I would get home from work, I would check my favorites lists for new possibilities, only to find something that came up with a reasonable BIN { by reasonable, I mean that the price was less than what the same car in similar condition was averaging on ebay)and within minutes of being posted, had a 1.00 bid placed on it to knock out that BIN, and then it was not even bid on again by that person. Foul? Of course no foul, nothing in ebay rules about doing that. Annoying? Terribly, after having the same person do that about 100 times. Oh well, all right, maybe I am a little too sensitive about a bunch of adult toys.[:(]

Scott

I too hate it if the buy it now is gone only because a guy just places a bid (and most of the time just for fun). It's especially annoying in Ebay Germany as there is no such thing as a reserve.

I ebay co.uk / com you can at least set a reserve, I mean you have to pay for it but at least the BIN price stays a bit longer and someone might well hit it.....

Franz

I would like to hereby solicit any tc members who have ebay auctions running to ban Mr. Twmaster, a self confessed spoiler of perfectly good BIN's, from bidding on those auctions. All kidding aside Mike, I was just terribly frustrated because there was a car I really wanted for some time ( an old Kyosho nitro )and every day I would get home from work, I would check my favorites lists for new possibilities, only to find something that came up with a reasonable BIN { by reasonable, I mean that the price was less than what the same car in similar condition was averaging on ebay)and within minutes of being posted, had a 1.00 bid placed on it to knock out that BIN, and then it was not even bid on again by that person. Foul? Of course no foul, nothing in ebay rules about doing that. Annoying? Terribly, after having the same person do that about 100 times. Oh well, all right, maybe I am a little too sensitive about a bunch of adult toys.[:(]

Scott

id="quote">id="quote">

I agree it is annoying when some one knocks the BIN off. But you can always e-mail the seller and offer him the BIN price to close the auction. More times than not they will end it in your favor

Jim

hay haY HAY!

why are you all moaning about last minuit bidders winning auctions? at the end of the day you lost the auction cos you didnt have enough money on the item, if you aint prepared to pay good money than thats tough[}:)]

whats really enoying is last miniut bidders pushing the price up, say i have a clod for £50, but i have £155 on it, and i have it for the £50 for a week or so, and just when i think i am gonna get a bargain som idiot bids £150 in the last minuit - now thats when it becomes anoying[:(!]

if we didn't want the thrill of auctions then we would all just go down the local model shop and buy our stuff there, or go to car boot sales, yard sales, flea markets or whatever to find old stuff.

As for the last second high bids, well from a sellers point of view, I hope I get a few of those !!!

And as for the bidding 1: ( buck, pound, euro whatever) to take away the buy it now, well that is just someone else trying to get a bargain... we are all looking for stuff we like and prefer not to pay too much... Mind you I did sell a car last year, had a Buy it Now of £100, a few people bid on it until eventually the auction ended at £195 ! so, I can't complain about that one.