When an item is shipped from the USA to the UK, 9 out of 10 times I have to pay import tax. Is there any way of getting round this. Anything the seller can do to avoid this for me?

Have the US seller mark it $12 on the customs form and hope they don't open it to check

Jim

The limit is higher for an item marked as a gift (approx £36) - clearly if you send a high value item and declare its value as a max of £36 (or equivalent) you will only be able claim this lower figure in the event it gets lost (assuming it is insured!). Your call !

I got stung for £90 VAT, Import Duty and a Handling fee !! )on a Hilux body from Japan.

yeah I was going to buy a model from Hong kong and they said if they declared it as a gift it would only cost $40 usd rather then the UK customs charge!!! which I thought would be a dam sight cheaper(wouldn't supprise me if they stuck VAT on the charge in the UK) [V]

Anything is possible if you know the right person for a small fee[;)]. I'm not going to say names of people who use this service or who they use it thru but look and see how has a new Jugg at Kidd.[^]