Sign in to follow this  
mr_lister999.

top force advice

i have just got a top force and waiting on one from blazer frazer and am on the look out for tips you guys can give me about weak areas of the top force. I have been told the rear shock mounts are weak and to replace the 10mm screws with 12mm ones incease of landing on the roof after jumps. also told the motor mount can get broken now and again.

If anybody has any advice on weak areas or ideas for custom made parts that you have found/made on your cars i would be very interested as i intend to race the one from blazer frazer hard and keep the other one standard.

(On a seperate note to chris, i am still interested in the top force diff parts you said about but don't have much to trade apart from some new built hilux wheels which i was going to put on Ebay in the next week or so and some scorcher bits but i saw your picture of the pile you had [:0] let me know please.)

OK daft(ish) question....

How much difference is there between the regular and evo Top Forces ?

I have 2 regulars and 1 has hi caps, so may upgrade it if possible...[:)]

The Top Force EVO features the following if I still have them right :

- Full Tamiya blue rubber shielded ball bearings

- Alu hi cap dampers all around

- Front one way but not independent

- 2 ball diffs

- C-FRP upper & lower chassis

- May be universal shafts

- May be turn tie buckles

- May be titanium screws from Tamiya

- May be tougher propeller shaft

- Black color gear boxes

- Light weight king pins

- A 02H motor

A conclusion : The TF EVO features almost every hop up parts available from Tamiya. I listed with just my remaining memory. May be not right.

According to the old times, we buy this TF Evo and switch all the goodies to our TA-01 chassis.

whats the best mod anyone has ever done to their car (apart from bearings/hotter motor or speed control?

Judging from 1st drive the only problem i had was the front diff became lose and therefore only had rear wheel drive. Obviously needed to be tighter when assembled but the back one was fine. It may have been nice to see insets for the tyres (was there such a thing then?)

The best mod i can think of is stiffer springs as the standard setup is too soft for level (ish) grass.

Anway, any coments appreciated on setup.

walawala_com,

Thanks for the info....

I'm picking up the 2nd TF tomorrow and it's fitted with Hi Caps, and I've seen the shock mounts listed on ebay a while back...so may be some more knocking around.

Would be cool to go evo with it....

Looks like a project !

I fitted a Manta Ray FRP chassis to my Manta yesterday, and that's the same as the Top force evo comes with. The forwardmost holes on the bottom plates looks like they are so close to the edge that it would easily break but I don't really know how stordy the material actually is since I haven't put it through anything yet.

Hmm, the chassis plates in the Manta Ray Hop-Up FRP Set (53099) is not the same as the Top Force Evo. plates, you would need the 53100 Top Force Carbon Graphite Chassis Set for that. The parts contained in 53099 are the same as the regular Top Force. - Marius

Thanks very much pUs, that infomation was just what i was after. I had no idea that so many parts were interchangavle with modern cars. I already have some of those parts in my spares box which is great. I will be making those mods on a used top force that i should get in about a week and i will see how it goes. I would have never thought of using a motor mount from a ta01/ta02. Just goes to show you.

pUs> If you have a picture showing where to fit that fourth screw that would be great, I have some difficulty seeing exactly where that fourth screw would go.

And if anyone could clear up the difference between the Top Force Evolution plates and the Manta Ray FRP chassis plates that'd be great also since looking at pictures of both they seem to be identical. (Based on the Top Force Evo pictures from the Tamiya RC Catalogue.)

And before I do something stupid, exactly how much can these plates handle, compared to the standard honeycomb-patterned bathtup chassis? Should I save it for (semi-serious) racing or can I use it both for that and for bashing?

You can see that the carbon chassis of the evolution has a slightly different texture on it than the FRP, like the Avante 2001 has an FRP chassis and the Egress has carbon. The exactly same shape and size, but different material. The Carbon Graphite is also significally stronger, and more expensive than the Fiber Reinforced Plastic.

pUs>Thanks, much appreciated.

Now all I have to do is get a drill, since my "tool collection" basically consists of two screwdrivers and a good pair of scissors (Who needs exacto knifes anyway? :).)