The last thing I needed to finish off my Brat was a genuine metal-in-the-middle rollbar. I've been watching this auction for 6 days, and I miss it in the last 3 hours because we went to look at a house. Yes, I know I could've been a lemming and bid early, but that tends to drive it up.

Arrggghhh!!! $7.26!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5968295697

quote:
Originally posted by stuie-t

never miss a bid again...

id="quote">id="quote">

I second that motion. Auction sniper saved my marriage and my Job.

yeah - wish i'd used auction sniper last night. wanted some parts for my mk2 XR2. 3 mins before auction ended i started to place my bid but as i'm on dial up it took ages to try and load to the point i missed that part and it went for £5 gutted!!! never mind keep looking. Moral to the story bid early but in fairness i didnt plan to snipe at the end it's just i forgot the auction and was rushing to set the bid up and by time i'd logged in, placed the bid, confirmed - too late, missed it.

Plus, with auctionsniper, you do not have to feel bad about bidding against a fellow tc member, or friend. Just set it up, and thats it. Most of the time, I dont even bother looking at it again, because of that fact that I made a conscious decision on how much I was going to spend, and that was my snipe.

Alot of times, my snipe never even registers, as the bidding goes over my pre-determined amount, well before the end of the auction.

Another thing is, I dont know about you guys, but I sometimes feel that the same person or two monitors what I bid on. The reason I say that, is because many of the times that I find a sweetheart auction ( listing is not that good, or listed wrong) I will get excited and place a bid, and if I check by the end of the day, one or two of the same people just happen to find the same auction and outbid me. This way, it kind of "protects" your time investment in searching for stuff, especially if you do find that deal of a lifetime.

Scott

I guess my statment was a bit over dramatic. One time I was in a meeting that was going a bit longer than expected. I knew the auction was ending but I was stuck. I slipped out went to my office to check it. It still about 5 minutes to go so I was sticking around to place my snipe. I am just about to throw my bid in when I hear a knock at the door, it's my manager wondering why I wasn't in the meeting. Cold busted.

Another time my wife, son and I are out to dinner. It's taking a hella long to get our food. Finally I we get the food and we scarf it down. I am drivinglike a madman to get home only to miss the end of the auction by 2 or 3 minutes and the bidding ends at well below what I was prepared to pay for it.

to quote Ron Popiel, with auction sniper, you set it and forget it

Nah Jim, that wasn't overly dramatic at all.

And, you guys aren't supposed to tell me to use AS. One of you is supposed to say "Ahh, I 've got one I'll sell you for $8 shipped". :(

The other benefit of auction sniper is that you can cancel snipes. It more of a hassle to cancel actual ebay bids. You can also set up a set of snipes as a group, and snipe until one of them wins. So if you see 5 auctions for rollbars, set a snipe on each and tell it to stop bidding when you win one.

you have 3 free wins, after that, got to pay...

something like 1% of the winning bid.

But, if you get somebody elso to inlist..

<kough, kough> all required is a diffrent ebay & email....

<kough, kough> so you can be cheapo and use freebee's :(

Stefan

They need your eBay password, so you need to trust them, if their database gets in wrong hands... [8)]

Cheers

Personally I use AuctionSentry, but the idea is practically the same - leave it running and forget about it. It also has the advantage that you don't tend to get caught up in bidding wars and pay more than you should for something in the heat of the moment.

The "bid-group" idea is a good one too. You can basically setup multiple snipes on different auctions and the software will put the snipes in in the order the auctions end. If you don't win the first one in the group it carries on with the second etc. until you either win one of the auctions in the bid group or it runs out of auctions.

I had to pay for AuctionSentry, but it wasn't expensive (a few dollars) and you get lifetime support and upgrades which seems like a good deal to me.

Sniping software is widely use on ebay today - the main dilemma is how late do you leave putting in your snipe? 5 minutes before the end? 1 minute? 30 secs or less? A lot depends on the quality of your internet connection and those with faster broadband connections definitely have an advantage here.

Chris

I use a different snipe not mentioned here works well, only problem is only 1 snipe at a time, but thats fine with me.

Set it to bid on my current Fox i have, was helping a friend move and told her i had to be home by 4pm to bid on this auction, wasnt home till way after 8pm at nite, but the snipe won it for me so i was well pleased with the result.

Only ever use it on something i am desperately wanting

The snipe i use is set to bid only a few seconds before the end.

Chris