Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

Fun with brake fluid....The story so far....

Hi

I read all about the 'miracle' paint stripper - Brake Fluid, so I went out bought a big container and 10 litres of Halford dot 4 fluid and set about stripping a few bodies.

The score so far...

5 out of 5 Hard bodies have come up like new - really please with the results

3 of 3 Lexan bodies have been complete disasters. All of them went a bit frosted and most of them went very very brittle, bend them slightly and they crack (or shatter!)

Am I doing something wrong - I don't leave them in very long and check them regularly. Any advice

logo_member2.gif

Had a tip off that I should be using Brake CLEANER on my lexan shells - anyone have experience of this?

logo_member2.gif

Hi Chris

I've just invested in the very same type/quantity of brake fluid today, for stripping some hard bodies. I can't wait to get scrubbing.

I've tried it on lexan with the same results - don't use it :D. I've used nitro fuel with better results but it take a lot of elbow grease and time. The results can't be guaranteed either, a lot depends on the type of paint used.

I'll let you know how I get on with the brake fluid over the weekend.

For hard plastic shells I prefer the easy off method. with brake fluid you really have to clean it up afterward as you want to make sure that any residues is gone. Otherwise your paint is going to have a hard time sticking.

Old nitro fuel works pretty good on lexan shells. Like spike said it does take some elbow grease.

Chris never use brake cleaner on your lexan or styrene bodies. Unless you brake cleaner is diiferent than ours here in the U.S., our will eat the heck out of plastic.

logo_member2.gif

I have an old Turbo Optima body where the paint is chipping off in huge chunks. I think it was painted with the automotive paint. Anyways, how much elbow grease will be required to remove the rest of the paint with nitro fuel? Has anyone stripped an old lexan body painted with the wrong type of paint?

logo_member2.gif

If it is chipping off already, then it should be really easy to get the rest off with nitro fuel. the really hard bodies to strip are the ones painted with the right paint.

jim

logo_member2.gif

Hey Shodog,

From what I understand the folks on the other side of the pond don't get EZ-off in the stores. icon_smile_blackeye.gif Oh well i guess that's why Stu is moving to Canada.

Hey this looks like a marketing opportunity. I am going to buy a bunch of cans of easy off, slap a new on calling it Tamiya styrene body stripper and only sell it to our UK friends.

I think in the UK it's called Caustic Soda.

Jim

logo_member2.gif

Concerning the break fluid, Dot3 seemed better than Dot4. It was not the same brand so I am not positively sure about this.

I experienced the cracking problem with tamtech bodies and SuperHornet rims.

For the lexan bodies I actually di not let the car in BF, I just applied it with a brush again and again for 3 ours.

Raoul

logo_member2.gif

visit my replica traderoom

id=size1>

Just wondering if this stuff is bad for your skin? I get a bit on my hands and wipe it off fairly quickly but is it harmful? I find my skin gets a little dry but it does not seem to be an irritant. Any ideas?

Secondaly, does it ever "wear out" so to speak. I know it changes colour with the paint but does it stop working? Cheers guys!!!

Lister,

I've used the same lot for 8+ cars now and it still keeps taking the paint off. I am thinking of 'straining' it though - there seems to be some lumpy bits forming

logo_member2.gif

Chris

BF and Lexan = BIG NO NO you saw what happens!

Rather use Nitro Fuel for r/c's

My BF in now in commision for about 4 months 8+ bodies been done in it. I keep it in an open container and it still works like a charm. I never strained mine and -sofar so good

Some of the other names I found for oven cleaner is Brillo and Zeb. Those that works contain caustic soda - the others do not work (at least for me)

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

I just tried EZ-OFF (yellow can) today for the first time. Not working too well on lettering applied with one of those paint markers (not sure what type of marker). Some of the paint is coming off, but not easily. If the whole thing was painted like this, I wouldn't bother. How long to you leave it on?

This is on a Blackfoot body. I tried on the inside first (just in case) and notice that it's either leaving a grey residue or turning the plastic grey. (I hope it's a residue). I tried washing it off with soap and water, but it's still there. Do I need to scrub this stuff off?

I would have tried brake fluid, but I have 2 little kids and there's just no good place to store a few gallons of poison in a bucket anywhere in/near my house. And I don't know where to dispose of something like that.

Edited by - bholio on 14 Sep 2002 04:02:09

It's funny how often this topic comes up, but no complaints. Many people are really surprised how it was even found out that EZ Off is the way to go.

We had a BBQ the other day and as I cleaned the grill (with EZ Off), I decided to strip one of the Scorcher bodies. Worked like a charm. Most of the visitors asked what kind of project was going on in the corner there. I told them I was stripping paint with EZ Off and pretty much every one said: how did you know that would work! icon_smile.gif

So, back to the brake fluid, where do you even get such quantities? I mean, I bought a bottle of dot 3 (is that the right one??) at Kragen a while back, but to cover an entire body would require tween 1 and 2 gallons I imagine. And where do you leave it after you are done?

How long before you normally see results (I've heard people say 6 weeks, but is that normal?)

Anyways, interesting topic and so long as it works it's very rewarding. Sorry to hear about the lexan bodies Chris...

Cheers, Roger

I get mine from halfords. Sold in 5 litre bottles. I filled up a plastic toolbox with the fluid, it took 10 litres to fill it.

Results vary from paint type. My 1st rough rider was very easy. The paint went rubbery within 2 days and it all slid off. My second rough rider was different. The paint started coming off in just over an hour but they are some areas that are have not stripped yet and its been 5 days now. just be paitient really and hope its the right type of paint!!!

Hello all,

Has anyone tried nail polish remover?

I used it on a super sabre lexan, and I was very pleased with the results. Lots of elbow grease but other than that no problems.

I myself was a little weary of using brake fluid because of the negative stories about it.

I started using EZ-Off but stoped, I found it was distorting the lexan as soon as I started using it. I was afraid of what it would do if I had left it for any period of time.

I had some fantastic results with nail polish a while ago on a couple of old lexan shells, but then another couple when completly frosted so I gave up and started looking for something else.

logo_member2.gif

It may just be me but when i use the brake fluid it makes the plastic bodies split. It is probably coincidence (spelling?) but three aout of 4 shells have had a small crack (about an inch) in the middle running front to back. I suspect it is where they have been stressed and removing the paint frees them up. Cracks are easily hidden with a little glue and sanding but i would hate to think its the fluid damaging these expensive scorcher bodies. Any input would be great.

I'm still having problems with the removal of paint-marker paint from the Blackfoot. EZ-OFF isn't working. Nail polish remover is not working either. At this point, I might just sand it off (it's some some letting on the sides and roof).

Just a warning (although I mentioned it above). EZ-OFF has definately discolored the Blackfoot body. I now have a GreyishFoot. I was planning to paint it anyway, but now I have no choice.

hi

iv had the same brake fluid in my shed for the last( 5 gallons in a plastic box) 18 months its done about 30 bodies so far and still going strong,it does not seem to work on model paint very well you have to leave them in so long but on auto paint from halfords no problem gone in 2 days

cheers kev

quote:

Had a tip off that I should be using Brake CLEANER on my lexan shells - anyone have experience of this?

id=quote>id=quote>

Chris: brake cleaner usually comes in an aerosol can and is pretty much the same as motor spray. Some brands contain solvents (acetone?) that will dissolve Tamiya ABS plastic, so beware. The ones that don't are usually safe on lexan, but not sure if they will remove your paint.