Sign in to follow this  
Skyline_gtr_nos

Anyone know or heard of this Kyosho ferrari F40?

Ive had a kyosho Ferrari F40 for over 13years now. Just wondering if anyone has seen it in an old kyosho catalogue or something.

The showroom has a pic but i remember the book saying this car came out with a skyline body and wheels and rims. If anyone has the skyline and would like to trade for the Ferrari F40 version (cover and wheels) just pop me an email....

Also any pics or info on the car would be great, thanks

The Kyosho Ferrari F40 came on a buggy 4WD chassis, but of course with road tires and wheels. I no longer remember if the Calsonic Skyline GT-R came on the identical chassis, but I think you're right. The F40 body was very expensive, so it definately didn't sell very well as a spare part. Accordingly, it should be quite rare! I painted the F40-body for a customer about 10-12 years ago, and I remember it was quite detailed and authentic, and quality was among the best from Kyosho at that time. It doesn't match the Tamiya Ferrari F40 though, and because of the unusual size, finding a suitable chassis isn't easy.

Also 2WD EP or GP on road chassis of that era would fit, (911 Flatnose, Testarossa, Corvette ZR-1)

miramar, thanks for that. I thought it was a "Rare" car. Its no where to be found on the internet. Would it be worth selling or keeping it?? And how much do you think it would sell for as a runner, its in good condition with all original parts, its even got the box and book.

F40's chassis (& belt) is from OptimaMid "SE" long-wheelbase. Americans got the F40 kit with a 2WD Ultima-based chassis.

Same 4WD chassis also available in Skyline body (as seen on manual cover) and a Chevy stockcar. Skyline body was also supplied on a gas 1/10 car of the same time. All shells are hard to find.

I sense you want to put a Skyline body on your F40's chassis, if so try looking for a current Kyosho "SuperTen" bodyshell. They might be pretty similar in dimensions & suitable for all we know. Think there's R33 & R34 shells but not sure of any R32.

quote:Originally posted by miramar

...I remember it was quite detailed and authentic, and quality was among the best from Kyosho at that time. It doesn't match the Tamiya Ferrari F40 though, ...

id="quote">id="quote">

F40 was one of Kyosho's finest efforts and looks fantastic on the shelf, even till today. (However running it is a slightly different matter as the wheelbase is a little too wide - doesn't allow for much suspension travel and the rubber will rub on the shell.)

By itself Kyosho got the shape & scale very true - in real life the F40 is a surprisingly small, short & wide car. Tamiya's F40 looks a little bit too long to be correct.

Kyosho & Tamiya both got the rear-window vents correct (its 2 rows of 5 + 11th one in the middle) but there are some static kits out there with the "pre-production" style 2 rows of 6 vents.

The 4WD Kyosho has 4 identical 'rear' rims all round, the real car has different wheels front/rear. In this respect, Kyosho's 2WD version of the same F40 is more true to 1:1 as it has different front/rear wheels.

Unfortunately the Kyosho shell has the side mirrors mounted onto the quarterwindow glass - NO real F40 ever had this arrangement. Tamiya's version is correct, with the mirrors mounted on the door metal.

I'm most happy to report that Kyosho has found this nitpicking fault too, and have fixed it on their new MiniZ F40. This little brother is finished fantastically and makes for an excellent static model, being RC is a bonus.

quote:

Also any pics or info on the car would be great, thanks

id="quote">id="quote">

Hello

Still interested in some catalogue scans of the F40?

If so, I will try to send you some pictures begin of the coming week.