Scorpn

Ultima for Dummies!!

Hi all,

here is a little project I have been working on

It seemed that there was a lot of confusion and a lack of information on the ultima Series, so I have made a little synopsis of the range, using my own cars, RichieRich's valuable input and knowledge and observation/research.

Please feel free to use and abuse as you want to

I would like to know if I made any colossal errors and look forward to your comments and Improvements/Alterations

Glenn

Ultima Buggy Model Information

Basically the Ultima family can be put into 2 categories, Ultima original series with standard wheelbase (3115-3117) and the Ultima II series with the 13mm (1/2") longer wheelbase (3118-3120) and more built in adjustability. The shock mounts, uprights and steering arms have extra holes while the upper suspension arms are adjustable through turnbuckles. The black Pro 3119 is the only one which has the wide track. The Ultima is the entry level car (If you can call any Ultima entry level!!), the Turbos are the fully optioned versions while the Pros are the true competition cars, one of the reasons why they didn't have speed controllers or motors. The Ultimas platform also spawned other Kyosho cars such as the Outlaw Ultima truck, Outrage, Sideways and Scale Series cars.

Ultima (3115) has an aluminium truss type chassis, which is the standard wheelbase length and standard suspension arm length. Comes with the old Red anodized aluminium shocks (short shocks) which have brittle red plastic screw collars and are mounted to short aluminium shock mounts with no adjustment holes, front sway bar only mounted through front upper arms, fixed length nylon upper suspension arms. Chassis uses a top deck (Radio Plate) which is very fragile at the front end and cable ties to hold race pack batteries, no provision for saddle packs. Front tyres are ribbed while the rears are the standard spike tyres mounted on white directional rims. Gearbox uses a standard diff and standard gearing, steel bearings are used in the gearbox and rear end while nylon is used for the front wheel bearings. Speed controller is the old open 3F/1R with a split resistor mounted in an aluminium case, body is a polycarbonate buggy type with moulded driver figure (painted white with beige/yellow decals). A plastic roll cage is mounted to the body and locates the standard Optima/Ultima wing and the body on the chassis. Came with standard 540 motor.

Ultima Turbo (3116) is basically an Ultima with all the factory hop-ups, Aluminium Chassis is anodized a bronze colour, shock mounts (for long shocks) and radio plate are made from black fibreglass. Shocks are the rare platinum shocks (which came with 3 sets of springs for both front and rear). Both sway bars are fitted, Adjustable (threaded rod) upper suspension arms. Tyres are ribbed fronts with option house soft dirt rear spiked tyres mounted on chromed Pro wheels. Gearbox uses a ball diff with standard ratios and full ball bearings are included, as are the UJs. Speed controller is the plastic 3F/1R variety (with two 2-pronged resistors). Motor is the Le Mans 240ST. Body is the full Pro body (painted white with orange/black decals) with large Optima/Ultima wing mounted on posts attached to the radio plate and rear body mounted wing/spoiler.

Ultima Pro (3117) uses a flat aluminium chassis with saddle pack cut outs and a graphite body post/radio plate arrangement in the standard wheelbase chassis length and with the standard suspension arm length (this car can also have a flat graphite chassis with saddle pack cut outs). It has the long graphite shock mounts and Gold Shocks. Adjustable upper suspension arms. Both sway bars fitted. Wheels are yellow pro wheels with mini spikes on the front and standard spikes on the rear. Gearbox uses a ball diff with standard ratios and full ball bearings are included, but not the UJs. No motor or speed controller included but motor guard is included. Body is the full Pro body (painted white, with green/yellow decals) with large Optima/Ultima wing mounted on posts attached to the radio plate and rear body mounted wing/spoiler

Ultima II (3118?) has a Kelron (3mm thick plastic) chassis which is the ½" longer wheelbase but with the standard suspension arm length. It has long (Cheap) silver topped plastic shocks (Same size as the Gold shocks) with simple spring collars sitting on moulded pins on the shock body. It also has a much more adjustable chassis than the original, aluminium shock mounts are copies of the Pro fibre versions and the front uprights have extra holes in the steering arms and the uprights, no sway bars. Adjustable (threaded rod) upper suspension arms. Chassis is a little bit heavier than the original aluminium one and uses a radio plate/body post arrangement with moulded lines and posts for saddle packs, and cable ties in the top deck for racing packs. Front Yellow Pro wheels use a directional (road type) tread tyre with the standard spiked rears mounted on yellow Pro wheels. Speed controller is the newer plastic 3F/1R variety (comes with a huge 3-pronged resistor). Nylon wing mounts screw directly to rear shock tower. Gearing and gearbox are the same as the original (bigger screws in the Diff and slightly different Spur gear moulding). Bearings are steel. Body is a Pro with the rear cut off (painted yellow with blue decals) and the large Optima/Ultima wing. Came with Le Mans Stock 05 motor.

Ultima Pro (3119) a.k.a. Pro XL. This should be called the Ultima II Pro, uses a graphite chassis in the long (13mm longer) wheelbase chassis length and with wider track. It uses 2 graphite plates for clamping saddle packs, cable ties on Optima Mid type mounts for race packs and a small graphite piece sticking out of the rear bulkhead for the receiver/speed controller and one at the front to hold the body mount. This car uses a long arm suspension with adjustable rear toe angle and camber angle on the rear upright. It has the long graphite shock mounts (Note: front one is thicker than other Ultima versions.) and Gold Shocks, both sway bars fitted. Front uprights have extra holes in the steering arms and the uprights. Adjustable turnbuckle upper suspension arms. Wheels are yellow pro wheels with mini spikes on the front and standard spikes on the rear. Gearbox uses a ball diff with standard ratios and full ball bearings are included, but not the UJs. The pinion/spur gears are 48 pitch. No motor or speed controller included but motor guard is included. Body is the full Pro body (painted black, with red/yellow/green decals) with large Optima/Ultima wing mounted on posts attached to the receiver plate and rear body mounted wing/spoiler. The ultimate Ultima!!

Ultima II Turbo (3120?) is basically an Ultima II with all the factory hop-ups. Has a Kelron 3mm thick plastic chassis which is the ½" longer wheelbase but with the standard suspension arm length. Shock mounts (for long shocks) and radio plate are made from graphite, It has Gold shocks. It also has a much more adjustable chassis than the original, the front uprights have extra holes in the steering arms and the uprights, both sway bars. Adjustable turnbuckle upper suspension arms. Chassis uses a radio plate/body post arrangement with posts for saddle packs, and cable ties in the top deck for racing packs. Front green Pro wheels use a directional (road type) tread tyre with the standard spiked rears mounted on green Pro wheels. Speed controller is the newer plastic 3F/1R (comes with a huge 3-pronged resistor). Gearing and gearbox are the same as the Ultima II but with ball diff and full ball bearings are included. Body is a Pro with the rear cut off (painted white with green/blue decals) and the large Optima/Ultima wing, nylon wing mounts screw directly to rear shock tower. Came with the Outlaw stock Mega Motor.

• Like 2

Hey Glenn!

Another interesting note, the ultima Pro XL (Ultimate ultima :D) does not come with uV joints. You would think that it would, right? It comes with standard dogbone halfshafts.

Great guide, and has helped me identify which kits I want NIB now[^].

One other point I think. The ultima II kits have all the parts in a box with only the body shell seperate. The ultima kits have the nice blister packs on the box with components in?

Cool guide, helped me a lot!!

Is the body of the Ultima Pro (XL) the same as the other Ultima bodies?? I bought a Kamtec shell and dont want to cut it to pieces.

You forgot the Ultima RB... The last bouncy plastic and imperial hardware'd brain fart to carry that name. Though, it did have some nice deep dish 2.2" wheels on the back.

Cool guide, helped me a lot!!

Is the body of the Ultima Pro (XL) the same as the other Ultima bodies?? I bought a Kamtec shell and dont want to cut it to pieces.

Yes, it's the same. BUT, you'll have to cut it differently. The Ultima Pro XL has a longer chassis that the rest of the Ultimas. I can't remember how I cut mine at the moment. I'll have to look at it and see if can remember.

Very nice.

Just a small correction, except for the main chassis of the ultima pro (3119) Kyosho never used carbon fibre as a standard of the ultima kits. All carbon-fibre look-alike parts are actually glass-fibre.

Would be cool if any-one could add a list of alternative vehicles that re-used components of the ultima or compatible parts.

Tower hobbies ST15 is a good start, but I'm sure I saw already ultima arms and front bulkheads on earlier european products for example.

On 8/10/2005 at 9:59 PM, Scorpn said:

Ultima Pro (3117) uses a flat aluminium chassis with saddle pack cut outs and a graphite body post/radio plate arrangement in the standard wheelbase chassis length and with the standard suspension arm length (this car can also have a flat graphite chassis with saddle pack cut outs). It has the long graphite shock mounts and Gold Shocks. Adjustable upper suspension arms. Both sway bars fitted. Wheels are yellow pro wheels with mini spikes on the front and standard spikes on the rear. Gearbox uses a ball diff with standard ratios and full ball bearings are included, but not the UJs. No motor or speed controller included but motor guard is included. Body is the full Pro body (painted white, with green/yellow decals) with large Optima/Ultima wing mounted on posts attached to the radio plate and rear body mounted wing/spoiler

Actually, the Ultima Pro (3117) had 2 different versions. The first version you mentioned above and the 2nd version had an frp (I believe) main chassis (along with the frp upper deck).I had one when they first came out in the U.S. and mine didn't have the aluminum chassis. I think the flat aluminum chassis was a (partial) non U.S. thing. Not sure exactly what countries had the aluminum chassis and which had the frp chassis (other than the U.S.).

Just picking up on this what parts do the Ultima Pro XL share with the next inline Triumph.  I know rear hubs.