Sign in to follow this  
Mooplea

Transmitter frequencys and importing.. 40mhz

I am interested in the Futaba 3pk radio

But, its not out here yet in the UK and ripmax (the importer) dont have any idea when it will be here..

i can get it from japan or hong kong, 40mhz FM just like we have here in the UK... but is it really the same??

Has anyone had a 40mhz set from the far east?? is 40mhz just 40mhz and thats all there is to it?? i know they use 41mhz in france? 75mhz in the USA.. etc...

I just dont want to blow my cash on something i cant even use for racing...

Help!

Jimmy

Yup, 40 is just 40... there's only a set range of frequencies available within that 40 anyway, so it should be all 'legal' - assuming your trackfolk are sticklers with the rules.

Japan etc should also be able to get it for you in a 27MHz.

Don't think UK has a 'certification' scheme, does it? As in all TXes need to be tested annually by a professional and a licence/certificate issued.

Hi willy,

Any idea what PCM is? i know what it stands for, pulse code modulation.. does a 40mhz pcm radio NEED a pcm receiver? they take the same 40mhz xtals as everything else?

Just want to be sure, im sure the local club doesnt care that much, but i intend doing a few brca regionals next year..

no there is no certification here like you describe?!?..

cheers

jimmy

quote:Originally posted by Mooplea

Any idea what PCM is? i know what it stands for, pulse code modulation..

id="quote">id="quote">

Spot on, Jim.

PCM is a derivative of FM, there are also different "frequency" eg PCM512, PCM1024 etc. The signals they transmit are rocksolid, no chance of crosstalk interference and for that reason PCM is pretty popular with the aircraft dudes.

There used to be some 'unique' quirks with PCM in the early days but I'm sure they've sorted it all out since. One of the most 'interesting' was you had to turn the RX on *after* the TX or else it wouldn't handshake. No handshake, no work... so say your plane went out of radio range temporarily, but came back into range. With AM & FM, your servos would start working again... with (old) PCM they'll stay stubbornly on failsafe! [;)]

quote:Originally posted by Mooplea

does a 40mhz pcm radio NEED a pcm receiver? they take the same 40mhz xtals as everything else?

id="quote">id="quote">

Yes... [:)] but I also think the latest higher-end Futaba TXes are now switchable between PCM and FM.

RXes aren't switchable, last that I've heard.

Depending on who's the importer, Futabas are packaged differently for each market. Some come with servos, some don't. Same TX but you can find them boxed with different RXes too - some PCM, some FM - with corresponding price difference of course. For US:-

FUTJ32** 3PK R203HF FM 27 & 75

FUTJ33** 3PK R113iP PCM 75

Not sure about xtals, but find someone who knows before doing any experimentation. Someone did mention to me once that putting a wrong FM xtal in can blow stuff up, dunno what to believe.

Headsup too on the new KO EX1 Mars-R LM with "brand new 'Super Micro Receiver' KR-301F, available in both 27Mhz and 40Mhz FM." I dunno how much better the "super-fast" response is and if that's worth anything to your racing. I'm still using 20yo AM EX1s which are more than enough for our needs.