Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hulbert

Molded carbon fiber RC10 tub chassis

Hey guys,

I'm buying my old RC10 Team car back from a friend I had sold it to about 10 years ago. I remembered when I got the car new I always wanted one of those super trick Carbon fiber tub chassis. Any way I'm going to start searching for one but I can't remember who made it. Can any of you all help me out. I don't think I'll beable to use it on my old RC10 because it had the MIP 410L 4WD conversion on it (I converted the car right away when I got it new). I'm prety stoked about getting this car back finnaly after all those years. It is still in mint condtion to boot! The only real change to it I'm going to do is change the chassis back to the black one. It has a neon green chassis AE offered just before they made the B2.

BTW I'm new to Tamiya club and this is prety much my first post. I have been into RC since I was 12 and my first 2 cars were a Tamiya Blackfoot and Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin (I got both for X-Mas one year). I'm just starting to collect some old cars with rebuying my old MIP RC10 back from an old friend as the first addition to my collection. My friend has some other oldies in great condition I will be buying from him as well. I plan on getting some old RC's that have meaning to me eith I had when I was younger or have always wanted. ANy way thats enough for now. I'll be arround for a while I'm sure of it.

Thanks,

Josh

Welcome to Tamiya Club. Also, welcome to the ranks of mip 410 collectors. There are more of them here than anywhere else. I have one of those molded carbon chassis, but cannot off hand recall the manufacturer. I will check. I do know it looks almost home made, but is very accurate, and extremely light. Please post pics when you get the car back!

BMTC99@peoplepc.com

Fibrelyte was one of those who used to make carbon graphite tub for rc10, very pricy, almost 70% of the cost of the RC10.... Yes, show your 4wd rc10, love to see them.

. I do know it looks almost home made, but is very accurate, and extremely light.

when you say it looks home made.do you mean the sides of the chassy mostly?......i have one and the sides look ruff..but like you said its accurate strong and light

quote:Originally posted by tanker

Fibrelyte was one of those who used to make carbon graphite tub for rc10, very pricy, almost 70% of the cost of the RC10.... Yes, show your 4wd rc10, love to see them.

id="quote">id="quote">

Cool I think you gt it there! Now if any of you guys have old RCCA mags, could you search for one of there adds, scan it and post a pic for me? I'm prety sure it will be in the 1991-1993 range. If I remember right any way. I do remember them being very expensive but I think the only reason I didn't get it when I got my RC10 originally was because I wanted to use the MIP 410L conversion kit and it required the car to be lengthened a little. I'm just going off of memory from nearly 10 years ago though.

Here is a link to a pic I scanned and posted on rc10B4.com

This is how the car looked after I built it way back in the day. I'm thinking this pic is from about 10 years ago. I know I got the 410L kit just before MIP decided to discontinue it if that helps at all with the time frame.

http://www.rc10b4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2607

Last one I saw on ebay was just before christmas from a gent in Germany. It went for $350.00 with But it Now. It did not last long...... They are rare.

Tanker, YGM.

Jay

quote:Originally posted by imagesofmotorsport

Last one I saw on ebay was just before christmas from a gent in Germany. It went for $350.00 with But it Now. It did not last long...... They are rare.

Tanker, YGM.

Jay

id="quote">id="quote">

I could probibly do with out it if it's going to run me that much!

i have had thoughts of trying to make one lol...appears nothing more than fiberglass cloth that you can buy from advance auto.....with clear filler....i could use one of my aluminum chassys for a guide hmmmm ok..maybe its nothing more than carbon fiber cloth..but is till would like to try it.......if anyone has info on doing something like this.give som tips please

well i found the magazine ad. in the april 1993 issue of rc car action..a company called buffalo composite designs.....based out of lubbock tx...made a carbon fiber tub chassy...........it also made the tub chassy for the traxxas blue eagle...... losi pro....traxxas trx1

triumph..lxt.........

it says the rc10 chassy is a 1/2 inch longer to improve stability

ive already emailed them... if its the same company they make bicyle stuff.ill keep you updated

quote:Originally posted by cant_get_right2005

well i found the magazine ad. in the april 1993 issue of rc car action..a company called buffalo composite designs.....based out of lubbock tx...made a carbon fiber tub chassy...........it also made the tub chassy for the traxxas blue eagle...... losi pro....traxxas trx1

triumph..lxt.........

it says the rc10 chassy is a 1/2 inch longer to improve stability

ive already emailed them... if its the same company they make bicyle stuff.ill keep you updated

id="quote">id="quote">

I got an e-mail back from fibre-lyte today. They seemed quite suprised that some one was still asking about their chassis. He said he didn't think they had any left anywhere and didn't know if they still had the ability to make any more. I asked them in annother e-mail if they could do a limited reproduction how many would they have to have pre ordered to make it worth their time to do so. I haven't gotten a reply back yet so I'm thinking they are pondering my request.

Would any of you guys be willing to pre order one if they are willing and able to make a batch for us collectors?

Also thanks cant_get_right2005 for finding that info. Any chance you can scan the ad and post it?

keep us posted on fiberlyte.......... i dont have a scanner im poor

its just a small black and white photo with a description.was listed in the whats new section of the magazine......the one i have must have been made by someone else though...as i measured it and its actually about a 3/16th inch shorter than a stock chassy

Here is the reply I got from fibre-lyte:

Hi Josh,

yes, we still do all the other RC10 parts, just not the moulded one. As

for

starting making the tub again, find out what interest there is, and if

enough people are willing to put down a deposit, it may be worth our

while

doing some....and if we do find one lying around I will let you know.

Best Regards

Stephen Walton

Hansell Composites Ltd

Unit 3

T.Dicken ind est

Station Road

Stokesley

Middlesbrough

TS9 7AE

ENGLAND

Tel 0044(0)1642 713129

Fax 0044(0)1642 713577

Let's do our best to round some people up to get a small run of these things made again. This forum does not get soo much traffic so I will also try a couple other forums I'm a member on. Can some of you guys do the same. I'm going to e-mail them and see what we will be looking at ball park wise for a price.

here is an update from Fibre-Lyte:

Hi Josh,

if we had a template to work from the initial cost of the mould would

be

around GBP150.00. If enough people were willing to put down deposits

the we

might forego this cost. Either way each chassis would probably be about

GBP80.00-100.00

Best Regards

Stephen Walton

BTW I think I'm going to have them extend length so it's OK to use the MIP 410L conversion as well with this chassis Unless the majority rule against it. The extra lenght would not affect the use for standard 2wd applications at all. I can't really remember but I think the 410L chassis mod is only 1/4" longer. I don't have the instructions right now so I can't say for sure.

quote:Originally posted by tanker

I vote for the extended length chassis. It is better to be longer, more stable.

id="quote">id="quote">longer is ok.......how much us money is that

Not sure what the exact conversion it but I think it's about $100-$150. Maybe some one can help out with the GBP-USD conversion.