Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hulbert

Molded carbon fiber RC10 tub chassis

Vaughn, the exchange rate right now is terrible for us. Any GBP number you see, multiply it by 2 times. That puts it at $300 USD. I always use www.xe.net for keep up to date. Check it out for yourself.

Josh, I would be interested, but the rate kills us over on this side of the Atlantic. Keep me posted, I might go for one.

Thanks!

Jay

thanks Jay....im also geting tips from the owner of buffalo composites.on how to make one...being he doesnt have the mold anymore.and its been a long time since he built one....

he says its easy to make one........the few tips he gave me so far im kinda lost lol.......heres the email.....if anyone understands the second part please explain better......im planning to email him again for more info....

i have long lost the molds.

i make that when i was 19.

if you want to try and make one

it is easy.

make a mold from fiberglass/epox using an old alum tub as a plug.

make parts from the void left from the alum tub in your mold.

using a vacum pump to suck a poly bag down pushing the carbon against the mold void.

what i gather.....you get some fiber glass cloth....mold it to the inside of your aluminum chassy.......then use it as your mold....

drape the carbon cloth over your fiberglass mold....apply your stiffining agent or whatever you use????.then some plastic over that......then you need a sucker to mold it into shape?????anyone???

Yup thats pretty much right. The vacume bag just holds the carbon cloth tight to the mold plug when the vacume is turned on. High performance rc airplane wings can be covered in cloth the same way. The chassis I have is quite coarse, as though very little holding agent was used. I plan to seal it with gloss clear or perhaps resin? Bad pics, oh well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....347#post3405347

quote:Originally posted by minijosh

Is the Tekin hop up chassis a carbon fiber one?

id="quote">id="quote">yes the tekin is carbon composite

that looks just like my chassy in your picture

Does anyone have the Tekin kit? Your thoughts? I was considering getting one and just wanted any feedback. Thanks!

Jay

Just my 2p worth... I think the carbon tubs are highly over rated. I managed to crack one in half with a minor crash. I much prefer the tougher metal chassis instead. Carbon may be light and stiff, but it isn't very tough and absorbant for impacts.

i have the tekin chassy....its similar to the newer chassys like the b4........it has a mid motor setup......and you dont have to use the multi link setup in the rear..it only excepts the stealth tranny