Sign in to follow this  
BeetleMeister

Whats your Fave/ Ultimate Tamiya?

What is your favourite Tamiya of all time. The one car that regardless of nostalgia, cost or practicality just makes you drool! [:P] Or, if you had been head of the Tamiya design team in the 80's what would have been the car you would want built? The car to beat all others. The ultimate Tamiya[?]

The Lunch Box. I don't know why exactly, like I don't know why I like particular color or certain tastes. It certainly looks like it's fun to drive and vans are terribly underrepresented as RC cars.

In fact, now that I think about it, are there any other RC vans? (Not counting those butt-ugly family vans of recent years.)

However, if I got to design a Tamiya car of my own it would be a 1:8 glow engine buggy with long flowing shapes but enough flat surfaces for those that like to go overboard with their paint motifs.

Barring that, a 1:10 electric buggy with a tub chassis with a lid to keep out snow, water, sand and rocks so you can enjoy real offroad driving without a painfully long cleaning period.

I have been able to get most of the cars I used to drool over. Since the first time I saw an Sand Scorcher I knew I wanted one. Shortly after I was able to get the shop owners Sand Scorcher. After I got it I was disinterested in it. At the time I had had many cars and the performance of the SS paled in comparison. One other Buggy I really wanted was a Superchamp and about a year ago I bought one and then recently I restored it.

I really started collecting vintage R/Cs around '99 when I needed some parts for my Fox and made the mistake of signing up for Ebay. After browsing all of the different cars available, I started to get Tamiya Envy. The vehicles that I most desired were the Hilux, Porsche 935, Mountaineer or Bruiser and a Lamnborghini Countach. Still haven't found a Countach, some day a nice deal will come along. Not really interested in getting a Bruiser because I like the body on my Mountaineer so much better.

Interests come and go. Some times I will get all excited about a particular car and I will hunt for parts every day. At one time I really wanted an Avante. I searched every day on Ebay for one. Finally I was able to make a trade with a member on the old list for my Juggernaut that I hated. After running the car around a bit, I was unimpressed and now it sits prodly on my shelf. during that hunt I was able to get enough New parts and hop ups to build another Avante. I just lack two sets of ball ends.

My Monster Beetle and Blackfoot were another hunt. I went to a hobby shop in Salinas CA. There I found two sets of Technacraft aluminum wheels. They were 2.2 size. They were just too killer looking to pass up. I really had nothing to put them on. I decided I would look for a Monster beetle. I hunted some parts down and with the exception of the body, I was real close to having a complete amount of parts to build one up. Then I saw an auction for a new built unfinished Monster beetle with a $260 BIN. I had a whole bunch of money in my paypal account so I said what the heck. When I got the Monster Beetle, some of the parts had light scratches so I replaced them with the new ones I had. Well I had a lot of left over parts so I figured what the heck, I might as well build up a Blackfoot too.

My RC-10 was another chicken before the egg deal. I bought some technacraft wheels for a RC-10. I didn't have a chassis though. I looked around and found one on Ebay and bought it. At area hobby shops I was able to find enough parts to make it really nice. Then while back at the same shop I found the wheels at I find a new built unused complete RC-10 CE chassis. Well I got that one at a good price. I was able to give Stulec52 a deal on my old chassis and then I sold my accumulated parts on Ebay for a Tidy profit.

Jim

i would say the grasshopper,for nostalgic reasons...the second would be the bigwig,when i first saw one it was one of the most rank,strangest buggies ive ever seen,because of the body,at the time

it was the fastest rc in town. if i were ever to build a type of rc

it would definately be made of titanium parts even the wheels would be made from titanium,yeah i know what your thinkin...too heavy....

not necesarily it depends on how your machining skills are.....

Right now, I'd say I'd be happiest to find a Jeep Wrangler. I'd also like a Hilux or Blazer.

I also find that I like certain cars at certain times and then lose interest quickly. A few months ago, I decided that I wanted a Juggernaut. Every time I saw a 1:1 Ford F-250/350 (which is alot where I live), I'd think about getting one. I finally got one and now I rarely use it. I never even bought the driveshaft to finish it.

Even though my first car was a Hornet, and it will always be special to me, I think the Frog would be the one car that would stand out to me. My cousin bought one around 1984 or 85 and it was the first REAL R/C car I had ever seen. I thought it was so cool, I wanted one real bad but my Dad didn't have any in his hobby shop, when I actually had the money to get one so I ended up with the Hornet. I have now acquired one and it still has a certain aura about it that I like.

It would definitely have to be the FAV for me, ok the car does not handle very well and is not particularly fast but it was my first and it to me looks beautiful. [:)]

I raced my FAV against Hornets and Hot Shots back in the mid 80's and the FAV has always proven reliable. I was the only one in school with an FAV so my car got a great deal of attention.

Daniel

For me it is the 959...

Firstly it has the coolest chassis and the beautiful technigold motor

Secondly it comes fully ball-braced and there is no expense spared in the parts

Thirdly its a Porsche and the lexan body is amazingly detailed

Fourthly although it is a Porsche it has some ground clearance - not true offroading ground clearance but good enough for me

Basically its fast, handles beautifully, is reasonably useable everywhere, and it looks amazing...

For me it would have to be the Avante. My first car was an Avante 2001 and I always wanted to get the original... so about 2 months ago I did. I have sinced hopped it up with Dynatech 02H, Hicaps all round, ball diff set and one-way bearing - the car is now fantastic. I like the chassis the best, it is a work of art. Infact, I like the chassis soo much I now have an Avante, an Avante 2001 (My orignal form all those years ago) and a Vanquish (waiting for a restoration)

I know not everyone likes it, and it is a bit heavy, but the setup is limitless (Toe-in+Out on front AND rear, chamber adjust, suspension adjustment, ride height adjustment) oh and when you catch something with the front wheels, there's a kind of shock absorber thingy that allows the front swing arms to move rather than break!

Ok, I am ducking for cover on this one. While I think that the SS is a lovely car and absolutely had to have one. My favorite is the Holiday Buggy. It was my first Tamiya and if the Holiday Buggy gods smile upon me, I shall have one again....[:D]

John

quote:Originally posted by BeetleMeister

What is your favourite Tamiya of all time. The one car that regardless of nostalgia, cost or practicality just makes you drool! [:P] Or, if you had been head of the Tamiya design team in the 80's what would have been the car you would want built? The car to beat all others. The ultimate Tamiya[?]

id="quote">id="quote">

It would have to be the Sonic Fighter :) LOL No really I would say the Countach, the early Porsche's and of course the 959! I had a Bruiser and it really didn't float my boat.

My current favorite is my hybrid Subaru Brat XC. I love the Brat, but 4WD stickers without the 4WD to back them up can be a bit of a let down. So with some creative fitting and donor XC chassis, I now have a Brat that can proudly display its 4WD insignia. Plus it's a blast to drive.

You can see it in my showroom:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=3809&id=394

That's pretty cool. Did you have any problems fitting the Brat Body to the XC Chassis?

John

quote:Originally posted by tr174

My current favorite is my hybrid Subaru Brat XC. I love the Brat, but 4WD stickers without the 4WD to back them up can be a bit of a let down. So with some creative fitting and donor XC chassis, I now have a Brat that can proudly display its 4WD insignia. Plus it's a blast to drive.

id="quote">id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by tr174

id="quote">id="quote">

That is very cool. Nice work. The wild ceptor wheels look good on it

Jim

My eye says the Sand Scorcher and the 3-speeders. These are the coolest looking vehicles around, they are the most detailed. Detail and realism is everything to me. I like vintage 1:1 cars and these simply look most alike.

My brain says the Martini Mk.22 Renault. That shop owner wanted me to treasure it and never give it a blast down the road. He will rip my head off if I will ever sell it. Well, the promise wasn't that bad because I got it fairly cheap and we know each other well.

My heart says the Fighter Buggy and the King Blackfoot. The FIGHTER BUGGY, REALLY!!! It was this specific car that got me into RC cars in the first place. Mine had lots and lots of running, it is in a worn but not really battered shape. I even still got a manual and a box for it. It was my treasure untill I got the King Blackfoot, which stole my heart when it was high in the sky, glowing a mysterious glow.... [:o]

Ok, the shelves were high and I was little. [;)] I keep saying: "I still haven't got any cars I have always wanted!" It is just not true: I got my King Blackfoot which I always liked. My Fighter buggy is nice too (read: 'was' [;)] LOL). And I got my HB which isn't really bad. But still, I so truly desire a Hilux 4x4 or a Sand Scorcher. Those are just everything to me... [|)]

Anyone want's to sell me one of those fairly cheap??? [:P]

quote:Originally posted by J3cubfan

That's pretty cool. Did you have any problems fitting the Brat Body to the XC Chassis?

John

id="quote">id="quote">

No, it went on really easy. I just used a set of super hornet body posts. In the rear they were attached with the screws that hold on the shock mount, in the front I used an old bumper as a platform and attached the body post to it.

Tom.

Hi!

A difficult decision!It would have to be between the Frog,Hotshot and the Supershot!Well,I guess the Supershot!Still haven't owned or even driven one,maybe one day!In performance levels,I would pick the Topforce evolution!

quote:My current favorite is my hybrid Subaru Brat XC. I love the Brat, but 4WD stickers without the 4WD to back them up can be a bit of a let down. So with some creative fitting and donor XC chassis, I now have a Brat that can proudly display its 4WD insignia. Plus it's a blast to drive.
id="quote">id="quote">

Great combination, also love both the Brat and the XCs, so the combination of them is hot! [8D]

What about if you could take different parts from all your best cars and make one mutant super Tamiya with the best bits of everything? Which bits would you have and what shell and decals would you finish the beast off with?

quote:What about if you could take different parts from all your best cars and make one mutant super Tamiya with the best bits of everything? Which bits would you have and what shell and decals would you finish the beast off with?
id="quote">id="quote">

Not the most imaginative mix, but one of the earliest cars, a 935 Martini Porsche body and decals, on a modern trf chassis, probably the ta03rs-trf. If you do that you may as well release the 934 too but with the orange Jaegermeister decals instead of the green vaillant.

A different one which would probably not work would be (and because I have not built one I dont know if it would work) would be a F201 chassis (again a new one with style) but raised and tweeked to be a rough rider style sand racer...

quote:Originally posted by njmlondon
quote:What about if you could take different parts from all your best cars and make one mutant super Tamiya with the best bits of everything? Which bits would you have and what shell and decals would you finish the beast off with?
id="quote">id="quote">

Not the most imaginative mix, but one of the earliest cars, a 935 Martini Porsche body and decals, on a modern trf chassis, probably the ta03rs-trf. If you do that you may as well release the 934 too but with the orange Jaegermeister decals instead of the green vaillant.

id="quote">id="quote">

a 935 on a modern chassis would be nice. the current 1/10 scale chassis are way too big though. The 935 is 1/12 scale. I was thinking a 935 body fitted to a porsche 956 chassis.

Jim

quote:I was thinking a 935 body fitted to a porsche 956 chassis.

Jim

id="quote">id="quote">

I totally agree with you Jim... if you like the idea of a 935 of the 959, check this out...

http://www2.uk.porsche.com/english/gbr/home.htm

go to the "cayenne" button and it will open another window - in the top left is a button called "Bloodline" and if you go to that a drop-down list will pop up... go to "Rallyes" and then the sub-drop-down called "Safari Poster"...

very cool but I could not work out an easier way of attaching it to this forum...