Sign in to follow this  
DJTheo

HPI Baja 5B

I've seen them in real life, my LHS owner had one in from the states.

Speed: Poor. He was demo-ing it for me at the local track, and he was only manging around 30mph tops, using a top of the range GPS.

Cheers.

Sam

Wow only 30mph [:o]  Are all fifth scales around that speed? Being HPI there will be plenty o' hop-ups out for it soon though, it does look like a beast standard anyway[6]

I've seen them in real life, my LHS owner had one in from the states.

Economy: Poor. Oh my word! This thing guzzles petrol. It went through a tank in about 4 minutes at decent whack - good thing is that it's normal Unleaded.

Cheers.

Sam

How does that work then?

A 23cc engine with a 700cc tank,doesn't quite seem to add up to me,a Marder is a similar spec isn't it and then runs for what,20-30mins?

I dunno... sorry.

As I said, all I'm commenting on is what I saw.

I suppose he may have it set up WAY too rich, hence too much petrol and not enough speed?

Sam

Quote from the HPI website:

"In testing of the 5B, we've driven it for 45 minutes on a single tank of gas"

I think Sammy could  be right about it running too rich, as, like he said, that would account for the poor speed and fuel usage. Although, to me, 45 minutes does seem somewhat ambitious...

Quote from the HPI website:

"In testing of the 5B, we've driven it for 45 minutes on a single tank of gas"

think Sammy could  be right about it running too rich, as, like he said, that would account for the poor speed and fuel usage. Although, to me, 45 minutes does seem somewhat ambitious...

I would proably get bored after 45mins anyway.

As long as it isn't less then my TNX is now which is about 10mins then I am not really bothered. 

I've been looking at getting one of these buggies.  If anyone would like to talk to me about getting one, just email me.

I know this is an old topic but I have since ordered one of these.

I forgot the Modelsport 10% discount only applies to Tamiya models and all accesories so I ordered it from Apex Models in the end as they give a 5% discount for ordering on-line.

The price comes out about £740,pricey I know but I am happy as it includes eveything and a Marder plus radio gear etc would come out about the same price,maybe a bit dearer even.

With it being HPI I just hope a lot of other hop-ups will come out over time.

Well to eat my own words,I cancelled my order for the Baja5 and went and got a FG Monster Truck instead!

Just need to wait a few days now to get it.

Theo,

If I got it right, the designer of this 1/5 buggy is the same as the one for Kyosho Scorpion. No wonder they look alike and with the smell back to the 80's.

Joaquim

just spotted on another forum that it does 38 mph and will run for over 30 min's on one tank.

For something that big that plenty fast enough to start with LOL.

Steve