Cavscout

Mr. Bean, Awesome or not?

Hey all you fellas in the UK-

What is the general concensus on Rowan Atkins, aka, Mr. Bean? I am over here in the US, and I think he is the greatest! We have all of his videos of him as Mr. Bean, and I can not get enough. I know that he had a couple different series in his homeland, Great Britian I believe- one was the Thin Blue Line, I am not sure of the others. Any of his other shows any good? Who would you compare the popularity of the Bean Meister to that of an American comedian/star?

Scott

Hey Scott

R.A. was in some other stuff too - if you can get it, check out Not The Nine O'Clock News and the Black Adder series. I think he was also in Rat Race (movie), but I could be wrong.

I think Black Adder was by far his best stuff. This was one of the best comedy series ever made.

I personally hate Mr. Bean, I find it really irritating to watch. I think this series was actually more popular overseas than it was in UK. Although it was quite popular I think Black Adder was more so. You see the Mr. Bean programmes on Airline fligts because it does'nt have much language for foreign people to understand. I know a lot of Japanese people like it.

He was also in Not The Nine O'clock News, as Twinset says, also Mr. Bean movie of course. You also see him a fair few british movies like Four Weddings and a Funeral. He also did a few Barclay Card TV. commercials that were quite funny

Rowan Atkinson is also a car nut. I have seen many articles in Clasiic Car magazines that include him. I think he owns some Aston Martins and also a McLaren F1 ( the $1,000,000 road car ) amongst others.

[:D]Basically a top guy then.[:D]

He shops in the butcher my mum goes to!

Does that make me nearly famous?

quote:Rowan Atkinson is also a car nut. I have seen many articles in Clasiic Car magazines that include him. I think he owns some Aston Martins and also a McLaren F1 ( the $1,000,000 road car ) amongst others.

id="quote">id="quote">

Wasnt he the first person to have a 'little bump' in his F1 a couple of years ago? [:o)]

He is funny though, and this just clarifies it!

quote:Wasnt he the first person to have a 'little bump' in his F1 a couple of years ago?
id="quote">id="quote">

As far as I had read he crashed into an old lady driving slowly with her car, luckily none injured, could have been a scene for his movies... [:D]

From british comedies I preffer though Monty Pythons and later John Cleese's series and movies.

I think he stuffed it into a Metro, and the F1 came off a LOT worse[xx(]

The showed the "Mr Bean - Animated series" recently... this is doing the rounds on the airlines now too. An acquired taste certainly, but I don't think the cartooning does anything to improve the genre. Would have preferred watching Rowan Atkinson himself.

Catn stand Mr. Bean ..............BLACK ADDER was easily his best work.

I am a Young Ones fan though.......so I am a little "stange" to say the least......

Cheers

Darryn

Im in America too, and i cant stand mr.Bean. Nothing going on there at all. The favorite british shows ive seen here in the us is AbFab and Young Ones. Please dont forget Ali G, Big ups yourself.

my favorite scene is when he was reading in bed with his teddy bear and moving the bears head as they were both reading.

Mr. Bean is one of the funniest characters, and have seen most of his shows and movies he's been in.

Well, in my country it was a success. Must have been sometime in the 2nd half of the 90's decade. I remember liking it a lot. It was even copied by a local comedian, too, in a segment of another show. Right now, when I have had the time to watch it, I don't seem to get it as much as back in the day. And that's the reason why I haven't got the DVD set.

If you ask me about English humor, I'd have to point my favorite, Benny Hill. And that not only for the obvious hooks, the man was a genius, and his sense of humor was incredible.

I've spent my first five years of schooling in a local private English school, and as kids we were pushed to learn the language, we were like five years old, and they educated us with English books, and made us watch super 8mm movies all in English, so we could feel the need to understand whatever they talked about. Those ladybird books and the illustrations in them are tattoed somewhere inside of me for good. And so we grew up familiar with the basics of the British culture. I have vivid memories of us kids singing our national anthem, and then God Save the Queen. Now that I think of it, it's seems so strange strange. But anyway, that experience kind of spark some interest in your culture. Later somehow I developed interest in American culture, and I lectured on the subject for some years in a local university. I feel now a bit disconnected from whatever British. But again on the humor, yes, the show was great. But Benny Hill will always be my favorite English comedian.

• Like 1

Benny Hill the toy maker in Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang.

The Benny Hill show use to watch it with my grand parents simply fargin hilarious!

Are you being served? show was just plain funny

I'm not a fan of Mr Bean, the comedy is too awkward for my liking, but in saying that I think it is very well done. He convey's so much without saying much at all. Black Adder was probably my favourite of Rowan Atkinson.

Since Tim Brooke Taylor died not too long ago, have been binge watching the entire Goodies series with my son. There is definitely a lot more 'skin' showing than I remembered as a kid!

I am from Europe, as a kid with 7-9years living in germany.  I liked to watch that comedy, mostly because he drove a Mini, and I had with 9years a M03 Mini, so I think that shaped my M03 choice mostly, as if he were driving a Peugeot 406, Alfa 156 Or a Ferrari 360 I’d probably buy those on the TL-01 chassis when they were out in the late 90s.

to me it was interesting to see apart from his sketches how lovely Britain is. He obviously was a total difference to the mentality of the rest of people. But the most interesting parts of that show were to me, those when the Mini was on screen.