kevinthegerbil

Tamiya on TV

Hi Guys and Gals, icon_smile_wink.gif

Just wondering how many Tamiya models you might have seen on TV or in the movies?

I can remember seeing a Monster Beetle (QD?) on 'Men behaving badly' and also some TL01's disguised as robots in a 'Robot wars' special event.

I'm sure i once saw a Sand Scorcher modified with a video camera on it in some 1980's comedy film, i think they were robbing a bank or something. Haven't got a clue what it was called, maybe someone out here knows.

Don't forget the RC-bomb-car in the "Dead Pool" (Dirty Harry). This was a 1980's movie in the US starring Clint Eastwood. There was a whole chase scene with the RC car chasing the real car. The idea was the RC had a bomb intended to blow up the real car if it got underneath. Not sure if it was a Tamiya.

I remember seeing a Clodbuster and a few other r/c's on 'Scrap Heap' They chucked 'em in the scrapyard so the teams could strip them for radio gear. I bet they got binned afterward too ;-(

I also have a vague recollection of a thinly disguised Monster Beetle on 'The Crystal Maze' It didn't use the Beetle body though, and it went dead slow, presumably so the driver couldn't trash it.

One more, not a Tamiya, but worth a mention. On 'Red Dwarf' s shape shifting alien turned into one of those kiddie 'My First RC' type cars and buzzed across the floor of the spaceship.

Gary

quote:Don't forget the RC-bomb-car in the "Dead Pool" (Dirty Harry). This was a 1980's movie in the US starring Clint Eastwood.
id=quote>id=quote>

I can tell you that all the driving was done by Jay Halsey, as I recall he was off road world champ at the time, and was sponsored by Associated, so I would assume he drove their cars in the movie.

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

can also remember a group of kids on 'Why Don't You' racing buggies back in the eighties, think there were 3 of them, one had a Brat and i think one had a Holiday Buggy.

Theo , I have it on tape somewhere , I seem to remember that it had lights that were used for morse code or something like that after it ended up on its side , its quite apt I think that it was on its side , thats how mine spent most of its life !!!!!

For us UK boys....... Grange Hill had a couple of episodes with some sort of Tamiya model cruising round the play-ground. I think one of the teachers flatterened it with their 'real' car! I'm sure Collin Spinner had summert to do with the supplying of the kits. He also was involved in the 'Direct Line' four wheeled red mobile telephone, so i guess that was based on a Tamiya.

Stu, quite right about Jay Halsey driving the RC10 in Dead Pool. The car had 7 cells, and a modified motor in it!

I was sponsored by a local model shop in the 90's, and he got comissioned to drive a car in an ad.. I'll be dammed if I can rememebr what one though.......

And Steve, I did a couple of Eurocup meetings this year, anyway I had a couple of old mags with me, well Ishy found your pic in one of them, seems he may have some stories......

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

Another 80's movie- "Real Genius" had one of the characters in the movie stealing a plastic bottled filled with plutonium duct taped to the bed of a Tamiya Subaru Brat...

quote:And Steve, I did a couple of Eurocup meetings this year, anyway I had a couple of old mags with me, well Ishy found your pic in one of them, seems he may have some stories......
id=quote>id=quote>

Hmmm, this could get very embarrassing icon_smile_blush.gif

We've shared some wild times in the past, and many stories.

Probably more suited to a different topic icon_smile_wink.gif

Ste

It wasn't a tamiya car but the Nissan Z commercial where GI joe is speeding around the bedroom. Skids up in front of the barbie dream house and snatches Barbie away from Ken. That was the coolest commercial.

Jim

logo_member2.gif

Hey Blondini boy...

In the 80's there was an Australian movie called 'Malcolm', where a guy attached a camera and a gun to an RC car and robbed a bank with it... then got a few more and put them in column-type ashtrays and robbed another bank with those...

Same movie also had an early Honda Civic that could split down the middle to become two vehicles...

Alex

There is a new advert out this year , it has a TXT-1 with a mars bar on it icon_smile_approve.gif, i saw it at the cinema, but my mate said he had also seen it on the telly. icon_smile_cool.gif

Well i suppose they had to use the best monster truck in the world icon_smile_tongue.gif.

Michael in carrot country!

quote:

In the 80's there was an Australian movie called 'Malcolm', where a guy attached a camera and a gun to an RC car and robbed a bank with it... then got a few more and put them in column-type ashtrays and robbed another bank with those...

Same movie also had an early Honda Civic that could split down the middle to become two vehicles...

id=quote>id=quote>

"Malcolm" just came out on DVD this year.

From memory it was a SandScorcher no less. icon_smile_shy.gif

As for the Honda, try smaller. Nup, not "City" even, but "Town".

quote:

It wasn't a tamiya car but the Nissan Z commercial where GI joe is speeding around the bedroom. Skids up in front of the barbie dream house and snatches Barbie away from Ken. That was the coolest commercial.

Jim

id=quote>id=quote>

Actually I think it was a Tamiya, Jim.

There was a 'making of' article on this ad that I saw somewhere. The car is a custom Zed shell built to fit a TA01. In one of the (dark) closeup shots I'm told one can still see the 4WD's driveshaft running through the open cabin... someone from postproduction must have missed that.

zombie <_< @ Twinset- It was Jerry Anderson who put the idea of driving scale RCs into my head as a kid! One of Jakie Chans 'Police Stories' has a load of tamiya in it from the eary 80's can't remember if it's one or two now, but worth a look I won't spoil the surprise. ;)

If I saw it on TV first which thread does it belong in? <_<;)

That'll be one of them oft talked about great areas :P , although I believe a movie watched on TV is still a movie - could well be a chicken/egg type discussion (unless of course your a Darwinist, in which case that discussion's irrelevant anyway)