Sign in to follow this  
mymonsterbeetleisbroken

unkillable tamiya

ok, lots of people saw top gears toyota hilux, the one that they tested to near distruction -

my question is, what tamiya would survive such hard treatment?

like if you drove it down stairs, crashed it into a wall at full pelt, set it on fire - that sort of thing[:P]

i dont mean if it would survive with no damage (allthough that would be cool[8D])

just that it would still work after youve finished trashing it[}:)]

i would probably say a clod would do quite well, what do you guys think???

It'd have to be an SRB. I managed to drive mine into my dads pond, have it drowned by a wave on the beach, smack into a brick wall and fall out of my pickup at 40mph (don't ask!) and other than a broken front upright it still worked.....[8D]

I too watched the Top Gear program and loved it. I have had 3 Hi-luxes myself and despite my best efforts to destroy them off road they all survived (well nearly, I managed to tear the bed off one while descending a very steep bank) although my Series 3 Land Rover holds the record for survivablity when I rolled it down a 100' quarry face, cracked the chassis and squashed the body, some friends and I cut the top half of the mangled body off and ratchet strapped the chassis back together with some blocks of wood, after refilling the engine with oil I then drove 200 miles back home without problem....

Great thhread! The Top Gear feature was a classic. Loved the Land Rover story above too.. LOL

For me it was my Hornet, I had no respect for that car, I jumped it off anything and drove into anything. It jumped a good 10 ft jump once and survived. I used to drive my Clod in swimming pools, rivers and ponds (blocked up the air holes on the wheels and revered the wheels so they acted like paddles) so that was about as tough as you could get until one day I clipped a curb and one of the trailing arms broke...

Most fragile has to go to the Hot Shot...

Cheers,

Felix

Well IMHO many Tamiyas could get the title of very fragile [8)], also SRBs arent very robust, don't think the front suspension, FRP plate, radio box, alu parts and body would survive a landing from a big height. [V]

Must agree with Felix, the Hornet family cars seem the most indestructible due to their low weight and high elastic material used, it was my only Tamiya that never ever needed any spare part. [8D]

Cheers

And they say women drivers are bad [;)] hee, hee.....

My Blitzer broke a wheel axle at 1mph yesterday [:(] (have a look at showroom) http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=2476 so it wouldnt be that one [xx(]

What happened to that Top Gear one? the video ran out[:(] just as they blew the building up - did it survive ??[xx(]
quote:I too watched the Top Gear program and loved it. I have had 3 Hi-luxes myself and despite my best efforts to destroy them off road they all survived (well nearly, I managed to tear the bed off one while descending a very steep bank) although my Series 3 Land Rover holds the record for survivablity when I rolled it down a 100' quarry face, cracked the chassis and squashed the body, some friends and I cut the top half of the mangled body off and ratchet strapped the chassis back together with some blocks of wood, after refilling the engine with oil I then drove 200 miles back home without problem....

id="quote">id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by DJTheo

Must agree with Felix, the Hornet family cars seem the most indestructible due to their low weight and high elastic material used, it was my only Tamiya that never ever needed any spare part. [8D]

id="quote">id="quote">

I can second that for the Fighter Buggy. I never needed any spare part. All I did was adding some hop-ups recently. The front arm pivotting points wear out, but that can be fixed with shrinktube. The tires wear out, but that happens to even the best of cars.

For the rest, any part I replaced was not really because it was broken or worn out, but just to upgrade it a bit. I can't think of any other Tamiya (except than a Hornet/Fighter buggy family cars) that are more robust than these! [8D]

Ow yes, the twin detonator!

after numerous tries, was only capeble of making some scratches

at the lexan and scrape marks on the bothem.

Hit about any object in a battery-pack-driving-distance from my home...

nothing..

tried to roll it....

nothing...

i surpose the only way to get it on his back is kicking it!

this sucker just bounces back, and asks for more. Ofcouse i am willing to give in the name & honer of sience. [8D]

And, a, the fighter buggy... how can u damage a brick on wheels?!? [}:)]

quote:What happened to that Top Gear one? the video ran out just as they blew the building up - did it survive ??

id="quote">id="quote">

yes it did! and they even drove it into the studio[8D] the chassis cracked in half and the body was bent up[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Stefan

Ow yes, the twin detonator!

after numerous tries, was only capeble of making some scratches

at the lexan and scrape marks on the bothem.

id="quote">id="quote">

Try to clip a corner of the kerb with a single front wheel real hard with the outer edge of the tire, that will hurt it! [;)]

My un-killable Pajero XB has to be my most abused R/C car ever, I'm sure you've all seen the videos/pics of going underwater etc.

Its also survived some pretty nasty falls of about 40 feet down the quarry... Still going. It'll be taking part in the Snetterton XC race so perhaps someone else can kill it for me...[:(]

Just lend it to me - i will kill it without even trying [;)][;)]

quote:Originally posted by wriggleandgiggle

My un-killable Pajero XB has to be my most abused R/C car ever, I'm sure you've all seen the videos/pics of going underwater etc.

Its also survived some pretty nasty falls of about 40 feet down the quarry... Still going. It'll be taking part in the Snetterton XC race so perhaps someone else can kill it for me...[:(]

id="quote">id="quote">

I still believe the Hornet family cars are the only Tamiyas which will survive a huge jump landing from many meters on a hard ground [8D]

For other makes like Kyosho the thing is different though, they have many tough cars, never needed any part for any of my Kyoshos but I don't have that many and don't drive them as much to be able to generalize. Also if you see that video of the 1:8 jumping a house and still working after, you understand what robustness means [^]

Cheers

et al...that Top Gear program is insane!

racing cars against helicoptors and jet planes??? man!

it must be fun working on that show.....

I'd have to agree about the Hornet, i also found the Madcap to be very very strong.

I have to disagree about the Twin Detonator suggestion, i hit a wall with one rear wheel while doing a donut and it broke the gearbox casing on one side in half, you could see the diff. Problem is this was the very time i ran it, did that within 2 minutes of it going from NIB status to runner [:0]

how about a king blackfoot, minus the body? Watching kawazx9's at the Kent Bash, it just wouldn't die, even after it had been jumped of huge jumps, smashed into trees and literally run into the ground, and the only tings that broke were two dameprs and the body!

quote:Originally posted by Steve309

I'd have to agree about the Hornet, i also found the Madcap to be very very strong.

I have to disagree about the Twin Detonator suggestion, i hit a wall with one rear wheel while doing a donut and it broke the gearbox casing on one side in half, you could see the diff. Problem is this was the very time i ran it, did that within 2 minutes of it going from NIB status to runner [:0]

id="quote">id="quote">

It is interesting how different experiences people can have, my Hornet was simply unbreakable, on my Saint Dragon (same as Madcap) a hard frontal crash would crack the chassis tub at the front screw mounts, have changed it already 2 times.

Cheers

madd bull, my ones had some abuse and keeps on going, notthing broken yet!

Many years ago I completely failed to get my Frog out of the way of an on-coming VW beetle. The beetle's wheel went right over the Frog. Appart from the body and wing, the only thing to break on the frog was the part of the chassis where the body pins screw in. I dont quite know how it survived, but I managed to still drive it back to me. I still have the chassis!!