Sign in to follow this  
miramar

Senseless hype about the Mercedes 300SLR

For those of you who have seen the pics of the Mercedes 300SLR, and think it's a collectible Tamiya model, I made this comment:

There is no reason to hype this one up. It's just a badly built M02L chassis with a badly painted and very low quality body with equally low quality decals in a wooden box. It's NOT a Tamiya original, but actually made on order in Germany for the German Tamiya distributor.

The body can be bought loose (low quality though, but I had to buy it because of the uniqueness), and is the cheap and by far most sensible way of getting the Mercedes 300SLR Mille-Miglia.

I'm quite sure this is NOT a future valuable collectible, and though the distributor claims there were made just 722 of them, they can be found in hobby-stores in Germany at heavily discounted prices. Anybody that pays more than 300 Euro / USD for this model must be crazy.

My advice; stay away from this model, it has virtually nothing to do with Tamiya (except the poorly built M02L chassis).

I dont beleive that there is any real need for a new topic to make comments about this vehicle, - easier to keep track of things in the one thread: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1412

As for the collectability of this model, I think it matters not how crappy the body and chassis is -(as Tamiya have made many crappy models before - and we collect them!!).

It is more pertinent to note the fact that only 722 were made (according to your figures) - in a wooden box, and officially liscenced by Tamiya. These are all ingredients for a collectable if you ask me - HIGHLY collectable.

My two cents

Darryn

If the model had actually been a Tamiya product, we collectors could love it as such, just like we also love some (or all?) of the crappy models Tamiya has made. The SLR is however not a Tamiya product (but for the M02L chassis).

Also, it's not correct that it is officially licensed by Tamiya. It's officially licensed by the German Tamiya distributor (an unserious toy distributor), which has no value at all. I worked for the Norwegian Tamiya distributor for many years myself, and I know how loosely connected the distributors are to Tamiya in Japan.

The German Distributor certainly has to run it by Tamiya though !! I am sure they would not allow their name to be so legibly applied all over the box and parts etc - unless it was liscenced.[;)]

The business world - as you say in another post - does not care much how a product ends up - only how much iit sells.

Such a low volume item will surely be collectable in the future.

Cheers

Darryn

quote:The German Distributor certainly has to run it by Tamiya though !! I am sure they would not allow their name to be so legibly applied all over the box and parts etc - unless it was liscenced.
id="quote">id="quote">

Unfortunatelly Tamiya lately seems to just care about the money/sales, we can see it in any aspect and product line lately, they also put their name on Dickie toy RC they now included even in their international range!

quote:These are all ingredients for a collectable if you ask me - HIGHLY collectable.
id="quote">id="quote">

It may become collectible or not, time only will tell (my opinion is rather not so collectible [:D]), in the end people will decide about it. Also I think Miramar wrote that it won't from his previous experience with previous Dickie limited models, which all were flops, except if collecting behaviour will change in the future, which of course can happen.

I personally collect only Tamiya cars which are beautiful or interesting and not because they are rare, thats why I will never buy all of the Tamiyas like many new TL01 or Mxx ones, or earlier Fighter/Striker buggies, for me this hobby is different than collecting Beanie dolls like in the other topic, I need to see some value behind, won't spend $$$ for something which isn't worth one tenth of it, especially if I don't like it.

But of course everybody is free to have his own opinion and spend his money as he wishes....

I agree in part with Theo.

Like i said in the other thread - the reason I bought the car is that it is interesting to me, thats the whole package and history - not just the chassis type, or the body or box. If it turns out to be collectable in a few years then great, if not I still have something interesting in my collection. The fact we have two heated threads running about it already proves it is at least a conversation piece.

You just wouldn't get this amount of discussion over a NIB Blackfoot for example.

As for spending $$$$ on stuff that you can see value in its a fine line if by value you mean effort gone into making it, number of pieces etc otherwise why would people pay soooo much for black porsches - no more difficult to produce than green ones [;)] And when you take the chassis down to component bits those bits for the early cars esp. porsches you get a lot fewer crudley made parts than in more modern models (or even earlier vintage models) And finally why do people pay so much for SS over RR and FR, prodcution costs and efforts would be identical.

I've said it before collecting is just not a logical thing - normal rules do not apply.

Each to thier own. Time will tell

quote:As for spending $$$$ on stuff that you can see value in its a fine line if by value you mean effort gone into making it, number of pieces etc otherwise why would people pay soooo much for black porsches - no more difficult to produce than green ones And when you take the chassis down to component bits those bits for the early cars esp. porsches you get a lot fewer crudley made parts than in more modern models (or even earlier vintage models) And finally why do people pay so much for SS over RR and FR, prodcution costs and efforts would be identical.

id="quote">id="quote">

You are right Chris, I meant the car should have at least some value for me so I would pay for example ten time more $$$ for it, the Black 934 has it because its beautiful to me, it has also a rare black anodized metal chassis which doesn't exist anymore, if I could still get the parts to make one, like for the SL, I wouldn't pay 1/5th of its current price and if I would later like the SL, I would also pay for it great $$$ in some years when I cannot obtain it anymore.

Just like eminem - I J D G A F .....

Netsmith is happy - and that is the main thing - I was putting forward an opinion - not asking anyone to take sides.

Theo - yes the SS series had nice little things like the radio box etc etc - what about the relatively simple and cheap Sand Rover - this car could be considered "crappy" at the time - yet it is my favourite car - and just happens to be highly desirable and collectable ?? Go Figure !![B)][xx(]

Also just noticed that the wooden box also has a metal plaque on it with both Tamiya and Mercede's Benz's logo on it with a build number !! Not your average kit - even if it is not up to a high standard.

Dont misunderstand me - I see exactly where you are all coming from - however I was very good at debating at school - and I also like to play the devils advocate sometimes .....[}:)][:P][}:)][:P][}:)][:P][}:)][:P]

Darryn

So... if one of us buys one of these, and simply can't stand the build quality on it - is it still "original" if one just couldn't resist pulling the chassis apart and reassembling it properly? [:)]

My Father collects vintage lionel trains. If you look at some of the late 60's the quality is not as good. However people collect them because of the production run and how they look. This car fits the same build. This kit reminds me of those Lionel trains. And like Darryn has already said "if it makes you happy..." <--is the best reason to spend money on something.

quote:Dont misunderstand me - I see exactly where you are all coming from - however I was very good at debating at school - and I also like to play the devils advocate sometimes .....
id="quote">id="quote">

Me too, thats why I love this nice community and forum!!! [:)][8D]

Locked this now - its about ran its course.

Use the other thread if anyone has more to say

Chris