Sign in to follow this  
El Mexican

Remember the Rhino?

Does anyone else have fond memories about this particular Nikko buggy?

It probably came out around the time of the Hornet, since it was suspiciously similar in design.

It was relatively fast, but suffered from the same problems most--if not all-- Nikkos have: poor parts distribution.

Mine broke a shock tower and that was that. No more Rhino. (Although I must admit I gave the best thrashing any 10 year old could give an RC car.)

I have a NIB Rhino body and I'm going to restore one.  I remember this car. It was very fast and I remember my brother racing me on my bike and he kicked my butt with it. It came itha  540 if I'm not mistaken. I've seen them go for $100 rtr on ebay brand new.

Found a Rhino on eBay.

edit: Please no live auction links unless they are from your auctions

Looks like their generic (older) buggy chassis. I dig the Traxxas TQ radio. [:)]

Hmmm, is it really?

AFAIK the Rhino was made by Nikko, not Radioshack, as the seller states.

And what about that transmitter? Practically all Nikko vehicles come with radios that can´t be removed or changed because all the electronic innards are pressed together in a sigle plate, making the replacemente of the transmitter crystal close to impossible for the average consumer.

Weird.

On the older Nikko cars, radio systems were pretty decent. I would bet that this one also had the standard twin-stick digital proportional one that most had. Both the car and transmitter have easily removable crystals in color/channel coded holders that you can pop in and out with your fingernail. The TQ probably works great, except that there's no way to set the ranges on the receiver.

On an earlier note: Parts are easy to come by, just buy a similar model or two off eBay for 20 bucks. Nikko only made a couple versions of their old buggy chassis.

I know there was a tread about RC cars witch have been used in movies/TV shows, but I can't find it. Me and my brother bought the complete second season of Macgyver to our fathers birthday. At the 5 episode witch is caled the "the wish chile" He is using a Rhino, dress it up as a Chinese carneval dragon and use it to disstract a door guard! Very cool! 

He he, I finaly have find one in good shape for a good price! I even might gett a hand on a Sears Super Lobo also... There are so many names for this cars. I use to know it as the Bison F10. This one is a thunderbolt. And we are talking about Rhino's. Realy gona be cool to check the mail in the near future!

post-23-1154658780.jpg

That's a unique collection you've got going there!  Be neat to see a group shot of the entire line-up. [H]

Takes me back to my Radio Shack/ department store days-- I remember specifically driving a Lobo during a Sears in-store 'demo'. They had even put down some green plastic 'turf carpet to designate the 'track area.'

In spite of how carppy these buggies are, I remember feeling very fortunate being allowed to drive one!!

-Steve

I have a ton of spare parts for the Rhino just sitting in my room.  I also have a nib body with decals for them.  How odd is that?

Thanks for the parts Minijosh! Was a very nice trade! I think I will picture my parts lot and put it here, but first... A live running Bison F-10, in my possesion!

BisonF10web11.jpg

WOW!!! Other F10 fans! The Bison was my first RC car and it copped the biggest flogging! Whatever broke on it was replaced with Hornet parts mostly. A mate had a frog at the same time and although the Bison didn't handle as well, it still gave the Frog a good run for its money! I'd love to get another one of these.