Sign in to follow this  
MikeT

SRB Differential....

Well, i've been speaking to my dad's mate who was into RC's back in the 80's and he raced a SS and has since sold it, but he assured me he has a differential still for the SS.. Can you tell me What type of diff it is please?

I can't see where the side plates join, it looks like a solid brass gear, but it has a screw hole in the teeth??!?!

Here's The Pics, click the thumbnail for a bigger pic

diff12ek.th.png

diff24ch.th.png

diff35ft.th.png

Thanks All...

Mike

I've never seen a SRB balldiff in person but to me that looks like just

a brass aftermarket gear for the SRB's, not an auctual differential.

However I have been wrong before.

I'm thinking the same thing Mike. I'll email him and tell him to hold the brass bit and turn ONE shaft.

Yes its just an aftermarket brass gear...The ball diff has several parts...Thorpe I believe made the first one and Jake made the last...Jerry  You can see the ball diff in some of the show rooms...I have a pictue of one in my Aftermarket Rough Rider in my show room

Not to add to your disapointment but here is what a Thorp ball diff looks like.  Keep in mind the axles have been cut down to fit the MIP gear case.

1080580197_3_27_4__006.jpg

Ouch, Salt in the wound Jim!

I can't believe you CUT a THORP DIFF.!

Mike,

Still a nice find.  I would still buy this from your Dad's friend if you haven't yet.  It is always nice to have one of these brass one.

OSR

Ouch, Salt in the wound Jim!

I can't believe you CUT a THORP DIFF.!

Easy tiger it wasn't me that did this travesty.  Luckily I was able to source some new outdrives for it.

Yes, for sure it is a CRP after market Regular gear, not a Diff. I have one in my SS along with the other Brass gear they made to replace the plastic one. Not as good as a diff, but still better than the original! [;)]

Was your dads mate selling it on ebay??  i notice the seller ended the listing early?!!![;)]

pity its not a differential eh.?

Bah, the first post was a lie, i didn't want everyone getting to it, yet i needed to see if it was a diff. and yes, the seller ended it early because i told him it wasn't a diff.

Thanks Anyways

Mike

HI Mike

I have like four or five of the ball diffs....Give me an email and I will sell you one...It was made by Jake a few years back..I use to buy old beat up SRBs on ebay and found two Thorpe diffs in the junkers...They are still out there..Most of my MIP, CRP, RCL and all came on  old cars..I just refurbish them to new condition...

retromodeller: I asked the eBlag seller to hold the brass gear and turn a shaft and tell me the outcome, and he replied to say that the other shaft turned the same way.

Mike

>Cecil Schumacher made some Ball diffs in limited numbers when he 1st started. You may have one of the few he made.

Are you saying that he made ball diff's specifically for the SRB's?  Did he make any GEARED SRB diff's? Did anyone else make any GEARED SRB diff. as well as Nodis Racing Developments' geared diff. and MIP's "short half shafts" geared diff.? 

BTW if you are listening Cecil, my Cougar 2 sucked, it understeered like badword no matter what I did to it. My mate's Cougar 2's didn't though. Maybe they were better drivers or more experienced than I was (this was 17 years ago LOL).

I'd LOVE a geared diff. for the SRB R/C vehicles. I'd swap my Thorp ball diff. for a geared one in a heartbeat, if it would fit my SRB gearcase.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Anyway, I have sourced a Diff. now!

Al, Did you ever try, i know this is a long shot, but slowing down for corners?

Mike

Glad you got your hands on a diff Mike .

Schumacher definately made a diff for thr SRB . I remember reading an interview in a magazine and he said he made some of these in limited numbers . I've not seen one so I have no idea what it looks like but if you could get you hands on one .....