Sign in to follow this  
SonicCJ5

Built my Re-Release Frog today. Differences

I built my New frog today and noticed the following differences.

Dog Bones and Cups:

As we all know by now the dog bones no longer have the hex shaft but a more adnvaced pin design found on modern race buggies.

The cups that go on the gear box have a solid pin on the drivers side, the original you had to slide the pin through the cup.

Shocks:

Again we have all seen the new shocks. They are a better design but I might still try and get a vintage set.

Uprights:

These look to be made out of a different material and are not as rounded. They also have the boll joint already installed.

Screws:

Instead of the gold colored screws they are now a mixed bag of black and gold. They also do not include the sleaves instead they are built into the screw along with the washer.

Front brace(Not sure of the technical name):

It is now black  not the greenish PC board color(like the SRB chassis)

No more MSC Deck:

They replaced the aluminum deck with two meta rods. I had a spare deck in my pile of parts and opted for the MSC deck. It is lighter and looks much better.

Brass Gear:

No longer brass

540 New Look:

The Rs-540 now has a differnt can that is polished very sharp looking.

Tires:

Dont smell or feel the same

Final thought:

I have not installed any radio gear yet so I have not run it. When turing the back wheels my dogbone came out of the rear axle cup. Determined this was becasue of too much droop on the rear swing arm. I am going to use the rubber tube that was on the 540 when it was shipped to put a space internal to shock to limit the suspension travel. It took me about 3 1/2 hrs to put together the chassis this doe not include painting and detailing the body. I was excited the entire time and would like another one to build. If you guys need someone to put your Frog together let me know I will do it for Free :-).

Some pictures of the build.

Thank You Tamiya!!

ED

Also the 'A' parts (chassis) are differant. The battery opening is wider to support more modern batteries. You dont have to put spacers in like you did on the old model. Need pictures to explain but basically it's what the aerial supports (A1)  fasten too.

The body doesn't have the hole for the switch in the rear window and they no longer pre cut the part around the motor or the front arms as in the original.

Also ref the tyres, I disagree I think they are spot on the same. I have a NIB original and I can't tell the differance expect on the original they have gone slightly harder but i put that down to age.

Good post for all the others you've noticed - any other differances (apart from the obvious - decals etc)