Sign in to follow this  
Porsche 928_gts_02

Flex Charging a battery?

".....2400s can provide low turn motors for racing demands,power-flex charging a 2400mah cell you can bump it up to 3100mah easily without damaging the cell"

What is this and HOW is it done? What do you have to be careful about, etc...

i own a laptop with a anylizer conditioner charger,it has a power flex (not a pulse)circuit.power flex charging works by periodically turning off the charge current by applying a short duration high amperage discharge pulse of negative current to the battery.by doing this it restores chemical imbalances and internal resitance,therefore

the cells stay cooler through the charging process and provide more

capacity & voltage.

Power-flex charging has no science behind it. It has been around for decades and all scientific research done in controlled trials shows that there is no benefit. If you do a web search you will find many manufacturers and vendors of charging systems with power-flex(or reflex, burp, negative-pulse) charging which go on about how good it is, giving all kinds of technical descriptions like the one above,but you will find no research from impartial sources(those that don't make, sell, or get$from advertizing) backing it up. you will, however find lots of information debunking it.

Here is a page that contains a more detailed history of the charging method:

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/burp.html

Many racers swear by reflex type charging, but there tends to be a lot of voodoo and hype in racing.

I'd love to see a big RC company do a good study on 100 or so packs, 50 with linear, 50 with flex, and put them through a full season of racing using only that one type of charging, controling for other variables, and then running some tests at the end of the season. I suspect it has not been done (or at least has been done, but not been published) because given the outcomes of past trials, the outcome is more than likely going to show little difference.

-Anthony

I have a MRC 959 Brain Charger that I purchased for just about $50 US.

It is excellent in that it has automatic settings to detect the appropriate amperage and duration the battery should be charged. It does BOTH NiCad and NIMH. It doesn't have a fan but really doesn't need one unless you're using it for hours straight.

I would recommend this charger to anyone - even racers.

Hope this helps,[:I]

Sparky