Stefan(2)

Nurenberg pictures!

Woo!. The Serpent F-1 sure look interesting. Just wonder if it's really

a 4WD as we can see the front drive shaft but then I have a feeling

that it may be used as break only.

Tamiya_31.jpg

This looks awesome!

Tamiya_14.jpg

This looks like Tamiya are on something! I assume the motor is placed like that to remove torque steer from a shaft drive layout (such as in a TC4) but surely they'll be a fair amount of friction as well. Would a belt not have been an easier alternative? Also it's a bit plasticky for a race buggy IMO.

I’m not sure if I like the new Suzuki Swift better than the Mini but the new suspension parts might just tip the scale in favour of the Swift.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

m03mpartscopy8vn.th.jpg

Front Drive shafts on the Dark Impact look like Thunder Shot ones, with the small rib in the middle of the shaft. If so, you will be able to upgrade to U/J's, with the Terra Scorcher/Top Force ones

This looks like Tamiya are on something! I assume the motor is placed like that to remove torque steer from a shaft drive layout (such as in a TC4) but surely they'll be a fair amount of friction as well. Would a belt not have been an easier alternative? Also it's a bit plasticky for a race buggy IMO.

Looks like Tamiya have got the weight distribution sorted then built the drivetrain around that layout. The one problem with the usual shaft drive cars (and the XXX4) is the battery sitting down one side with the motor on the other gives an uneven weight distribution. Not good for rough tracks and made worse by the torque steer.

Having the battery on the chassis centreline gives the lowest polar moment of inertia and allows it to change direction quicker. Good for racing. HPI built the Pro3 with the same layout but using belt drive they were stuck with very short wishbones as the belt had to go down the side of the battery pack. By using shaft drive they get good weight distribution and are able to use long wishbones. For Tamiya to use belts, as in the Neo Shot, would mean having to fit the stick pack across the chassis, which isn't good for handling, or very short wishbones.

I think it looks interesting, decent suspension and a slipper clutch as well. The chassis does look very plastic rather than carbon filled, but the box section formed by the battery holder should make it very stiff as it is.Plenty of room for radio gear as well, makes a nice change for a modern 4wd buggy.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing! [:)]

3 reasons they made me happy:

1) Swift looks sweet!

2) Dark Impact seems a nice design for the reasons terry stated above

and the most important:

3) Tamiya ignored Dickie and presented all re-rereleases which Dickie wanted to hide from the German public [H]

Cheers

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.

I hope they don't cancel the 4 WD buggy again like they did with the Neo Shot around 2 years ago. So time to stay cool. The name of that buggy is also still tentative. I look forward holding this one in my hands in 2007?

The more I look at the buggy, the more I like their thinking, with all

the weight down the centre, the easier the transition will be into

cornering ans chicanes (direction changes).  Plus the motor should

be at least a little cooler being exposed at the rear there.

I want to know where to get one as the UK Distributor won't know about it till the want to sell it.

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.

I hope they don't cancel the 4 WD buggy again like they did with the Neo Shot around 2 years ago. So time to stay cool. The name of that buggy is also still tentative. I look forward holding this one in my hands in 2007?

2007? Since its already presented am sure it will available in 2-3 months [H]

Cheers

At your service, but to be very clear (and before i get flamed by the owner)

He must have noticed the big-data-draft by now, these pictures are not mine or did not take them, only found them [;)]

The owner is http://www.rc-junkies.com , a dutch rc forum.

So again (plug plug plug) http://www.rc-junkies.com ... they are the providers... http://www.rc-junkies.com ok?

Regards, Stefan

I almost like the look of the new 4wd buggy !

I never was a fan of long steering links like that. It just looks like they forgot about it until the last second...  maybe that's just me though, but there is a LOT of room for flex there.

Also, not sure about the height of the main driveshaft and then of course input gears into the gearboxes. Seems like an awful lot of high up weight.

But the actual layout of the chassis, does look promising.

My main point though, is if they do not build it as a racer ( to compete with ZX-5 etc)  but leave it as a platic cheep and cheerful runner, then who would they be aiming it at?  I just can't see there being a market for a 4wd basher. Again, that might just be me.

With the plastic shocks, stock 540 and lots of plastic I would guess that this is the entry-mid version, perhaps we'll see a later release with high specs, ie. alloy shocks, carbon composite chassis and no motor???

Mike.

Interesting layout. Very keen to see one in the flesh, one of the best looking 4WDs out there right now, lets see how well it performs. I am sure the obvious hop ups are to follow.

James.

Once that Suzuki comes out, I will be retiring my M-04M in favor of that chassis! Besides the slick new body, and the new components, I am tired of struggling to get the M-04 to handle right.

I also can't wait to get the F103GT kit. They better offer lots of spares for people to convert their old F103 F1 cars to the touring car configuration though. I can't imagine that chassis will be too expensive.

Whats with Tamiya recycling old chassis lately? Besides the TA05, seems like everything they put out is a recycled chassis (F103GT-F103, TA03 Drift-TA03 Pro, Group C cars....). Would like to see something new from them again.

Just had a look at the Swift again and realized it has very big wheel arches for its tires, maybe Tamiya will release later Mini rally blocks for it? [H]

The long steering rod on the Dark Impact could be a problem but you cant have it all (small moment of inertia around the yaw axis) and front servo, also this way it reminds a bit of Avante/Egress for us "oldies" [H]

Cheers

The Losi XX4 had quite a long steering shaft, then again - it used the right components from the outset.

Steering layouts like this are not a problem - especially if the

components are quality. (something that tamiya quite often leaves out -

so you "have" to get the upgrade parts to get it to work properly) -

MAN they are great marketers.[:)]

I have no doubt that this car will require at least a $150 in "hop ups"

though, to have it strong where it needs to be........hope I am wrong

though.

Cheers

Darryn

The chrome pumpkin , listprice 12800YEN

The swift 11000YEN

Tamtech frog 19800YEN

103GT 12800YEN (chassis kit)

(source, rainbowten)

regards, Stefan

Have a look at the ZX-5. That is how to design an effective steering setup.

Also, I am so fed up of Tamiya expecting racers to pony up more money just to get one of their products race ready. Again see Kyosho ZX-5, ready to race without anything extra required for the car.