Sign in to follow this  
miramar

Other Tamiya-kits made RTR in Germany

The discussion on the Mercedes Benz 300 SLR is surely running hot, but I think it all boils down to; "Buy it if you want, it's not a shame to have it in your collection, or leave it if you hate it, and don't consider that a "hole" in your (Tamiya) collection". [:)]

Chris asked a few days ago if other models than the 58173 VW Beetle and the SLR were offered as German built RTR's, and as Chris is obviously such a nice guy, I'm delighted if I can be of any help on this matter.

The German Tamiya distributor has offered several Tamiya models in RTR-form during the last few years. Below I have done my best to make a complete list, but I have of course left out original Tamiya RTR's with Tamiya item numbers (QD- and XB-series).

All models are sold built and painted in "non"-Tamiya boxes and include mounted radiogear, and sometimes a tricklecharger and a battery (mostly Carson 1500mAh). The number behind the model name is the Tamiya item number, of which the German-built RTR was based on, and not the RTR's own item number. As for colours, the bodies are painted with one colour only, hard plastic parts are left unpainted, and the colour is never backed up by silver, white or black to make it opaque, so light colours are translucent. Some bodies seem to have had their windows masked off by tampoos rather than the included self adhesive masks, as the colour sometimes fade into the window "glass". Body post are mostly left uncut.

Porsche 911 Carrera (58208) in blister box. Sold in toy-/hobby-shops. (Choice of blue, red, yellow or black body)

Porsche 911 Carrera (58208) in cardboard box. Sold at Porsche dealers and the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany. I have only seen this one in silver and red.

Porsche 911 GT1 (58193) in cardboard box. Sold at Porsche dealers and the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany. Painted in appropriate white, but small decals are often left off.

Porsche Boxster (58197) in cardboard box. Sold at Porsche dealers and the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany. I have only seen this one in silver.

VW Beetle (58173) in wooden box. Sold in hobby-shops. Painted in a turqoise colour like Tamiya boxtop. Intricate decals (like taillight "sides") are left off. Wheels left unpainted as are all hard plastic parts.

Volkswagen Golf V5 (58206) in cardboard box, original "VW-style". Sold at VW dealerships. Colour(s) unknown.

VW New Beetle (58217) in cardboard box, original "VW-style". Sold at VW dealerships. I have seen this one in red and yellow only.

Opel Speedster in blister box. Carson Opel Speedster body on M02L chassis. Wheels vary, but the relatively authentic looking Mercedes SLK wheels are common. This model is sold at Opel dealerships, the Opel Museum in Ruesselsheim Germany (where I live) and through "Propeller AG", a model and accessory company for Opel employees only. I have only seen this model in silver with silver hardtop. As I work in the Opel Speedster development team myself (the real car of course!), I doubt it exists in other colours, otherwise I would probably have seen it, but I could be wrong.

McLaren MP4/13 (58235). Unknown packing. Sold at the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart Germany, and MB dealerships. Never seen this RTR in toy-/hobbyshops. Painted black and silver, helmet unpainted and intricate/small decals are left off.

Ferrari F2001 (58288), in cardboard box. Sold on Formula 1-related TV shop programs (on the German RTL-channel) and some mobile phone shops (Vodafone only I suppose). Never seen this RTR offered anywhere else. I have seen this one in the correct bright red (PS34) and the incorrect red (PS2). Helmet unpainted and intricate/small decals are left off. Many are actually also without the separate lexan nose cone! The one I saw in my local mobile phone shop was without nosecone and had rear wheel drive only (prop shaft, front drive shafts and probably front gears not mounted).

Then you have the SLR, but I don't think I have to describe it?! [;)]

Also there was the Benetton B192 (58118). This model was offered as a static model only (with RC, charger and battery), and was mounted in a plastic black and clear showcase. Finding one without cracks in the clear plastic is hard. Most were already cracked upon receipt in the shops (due to stress from bending during manufacturing I suppose). This model was painted in the correct colours, but the decal job was very sloppy. I have described this model before, so I won't go into further details. OK?

I think that's about it, but there may exist other variants. I'm not really into these German built RTR's, but as a Tamiya enthusiast, I of course notice them.

Cool. Thanks.

OK hands up - anyone got any? Pictures? Let me know if you have.

Does anyone know if any other dealers/distributors in other countries have done this sort of thing? (And hopefully made a better job of it? [;)])

Cheers

Chris